Monday, December 25, 2023

Christmas Day 2023


Dinner last night, cubed steak with mushroom gravy, homemade mashed potatoes with steamed broccoli (not pictured a Royal Farms biscuit) - I make meals for myself way better than any restaurant meal


Christmas 2023 is almost over. 

I am writing this blog entry at 7:20 PM Monday evening. 

I like Christmas and but I am also glad when it is over. Enough already with all the St. Jude TV ads begging for money and the poor dogs out in the snow freezing for the ASPCA ads also begging for money. All worthy charities I'm sure but I am sick to death of seeing those ads and Marlo Thomas and her Exorcist voice (how old is she now anyway, one hundred)? And we just finished the bombardments of the Medicare health insurance ads that finally gave up the ghost December 7th, the cutoff date to change your health insurance provider. Now for the Dead Time between Christmas and New Years, when all the regular folks on TV are on (well deserved I'm sure) vacations with their families and the second tier of anchors replay the endless rehashes of "what happened last year." I know already what happened. Then it all ends with the goofy duo of Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen bringing in the new year. I wonder if Andy Cohen (the wunderkind who brought us the "Real Housewives" so called reality shows) will be sober this year. He is so goofy. NOT FUNNY. For that matter Kathy Whatshername wasn't that funny either but then she got herself kicked off that annual New Year's gig with the giggling Anderson Cooper when she posed with a dummy severed head of Trump. Now that really wasn't funny Kathy Griffin. I hate Trump but even for me that was a bit too much.

I'm venting folks. I have to every now and then. Like a pot of boiling water on the stove, I have to "take the lid off" every now and then. I think I'm beginning to get too jaded.

I know I'm getting jaded with watching streaming movies on Netflix. As I said before so many of them seen to have the "required" sex scenes (often the opening scene) of the couple rushing in the house, stripping each other's clothes off and lifting the woman on the kitchen counter and f-cking the daylights out of her. That is getting SO OLD folks. Now what I was watching last night? "Imitation of Life", the 1934 version with Claudette Colbert and Warren William. It is actually a very good movie and refreshing to watch a movie with a real story with real actors and none of the humping on the kitchen counter. Can you imagine the classy Claudette Colbert in a scene like that? I tell you, I'm no prude but I am so sick of those scenes in todays' movie. Now how did I get on this subject since I'm wring about Christmas Day 2023? You know me, I start writing my blog an let it go wherever it leads me.

Today was very quiet. I took Bill for his (our) ride down Oyster Rocks Road. There were only two motorcyclists down there. I suspect those motorcycles were Christmas presents.

My kind neighbor invited me over to his place where his extended family was visiting (six cars outside) for "snacks and conversation." I like him and his family but ...uh....no. That's not my thing and besides it's his family and I would only be intruding. But it was very kind of him to invite me. He used to visit Bill but since Bill's strokes he hasn't been over. It's hard to hold a conversation with Bill. He's so easily confused these days and he is hard of hearing. Instead I took an extended nap this afternoon. It was a gray day outside anyway, good day for napping.

I have a feeling this is my last Christmas with Bill. He has that feeling too. I'm going to hate to take down our aluminum Christmas trees. Bill asked me to keep them up. I don't know about that. Having a Christmas tree up now with all the sparking lights is one thing when it's dark early like it is this time of year but during the summer it's another whole thing. I think I'll look for something else to provide colorful lights for Bill to see. I'm open for suggestions.

Time for diner now then a visit to the Tipton Cinema. 


4 comments:

anonymous said...

Your dinner looked really good, Ron. Even though I'm a vegetarian, that could make me fall off the wagon! LOL! OMG! I laughed out loud with your description of the 102-year-old Marla Thomas' voice. That voice could wake the dead...or maybe she actually is?? Scary! I agree about the current movies shoving sex scenes down our throats (that sounds kind porn, too). Whatever. I'm a fan of the older ones and especially 'film noir' of the 1940's. I love "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" and Max Steiner's score. I hope your weather has been nice. It was 60 here today in Ohio.
On my walk, I saw walkers in shorts and even a couple having a picnic. I'm sure it won't last, but it's been nice for us walkers. As far as color(s) for Bill, I have a 'white noise' machine that also has a large night light feature. You can choose a variety of colors as well as constantly changing colors. He might like that. Take care.
Paranormal John

VRCooper said...

Glad you had a great Christmas. The dinner looks appetizing.

I made a garnish game hen, homemade mashed potatoes, mixed vegetables-my mix, rolls by a local bakery-not so good but fresh, egg nog, and a big chocolate cookie topped with organic vanilla bean ice cream for dessert. The local bakery that made the rolls also made a mixed box of Christmas goodies that you could order. I ordered a box. Pretty good I must say. I had a 1/2 peach pie from Sprouts that I had one slice for Christmas Eve and I think it made me deathly ill. I very rarely, rarely get sick from eating anything. The pie was eaten about an hour or so after a simple dinner. Then within an hour, things changed. Things came up and I was in bed by 10:00 PM. Woke up on Christmas Day fresh as a daisy. Let's just say the pie is in the trash.

I agree with you on those commercials. Don't forget the Balance of Nature commercials. I hear there are continued debates about how they are connected with the Morman Church. I hear they are expensive. What did Marlo do to her face? I have read some mixed comments about ASPCA in how they like to euthanize their animals and their corporate leaders make more than one thinks--- https://www.cbsnews.com/news/aspca-spending-donor-cbs-news-investigation/.

Don't get me started on Andy and Anderson. In my heart of hearts, I believe the Anderson act is wearing thin. Andy is a drama queen and a pain in the butt. Why is he hanging out with Anderson? What is that saying, They will know you by the company you keep. I say they are two peas in a pod. Never watched their New Year's Eve events. I think Anderson behind the scenes is an entitled whatever adjective you wish...

You could do a spring tree with lights. My former partner would go out into the woods and find a couple of large dead tree branches and make a spring tree with lights and Easter-type ornaments. He was crafty like that.

Have a great week and Happy New Year!!

Ron said...

Paranormal John,
Right after I posted that blog yesterday, I chose a new Netflix movie and wouldn't you know it? One of those "kitchen counter" sex scenes. Come on Netflix! We have something in common John, I also love film noir from the Forties and Fifties. Could watch those moves multiple times. I think I've seen Joan Crawford in "Possessed" three times at least and would watch that movie again. I saw "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" once. Gene Tierney, also another true movie star who could do no wrong. No overt sex scenes needed to hold my interest in any of her movies.
I didn't realize you were also a vegetarian John. When I'm with Pat I go vegan. There are a lot of good vegan restaurants around now. In Philly there is "Hip City Veg" and in LA there is the Veggie Grille. I've never been disappointed in any vegan dish I've ordered from those two establishments.
Thanks for the tip of the white noise machine with a night light feature. I'll check those out.
Dreary and foggy weather around here but thank goodness no snow.
Take care John,
Ron

Ron said...

Vic,
Your Christmas feast sounds wonderful. I got full just reading it. What a shame you got sick from each that peach pie. A few years ago I got deathly ill eating a prepared taquito which I bought at BJ's. We have a large Hispanic population around here (southern Delaware, mostly Quatamalean) so I assumed that food was safe. I was sick as a dog. And yes, the rest of those taquitos ended up on my compost pile.
Balance of Nature pills are a scam. Eat the real thing I say. You can't take a pill for everything. And yes, they are expensive. That's why they advertise them so much. Trump is proof that you can lie and a significant portion of our population will believe whatever is fed to them.
Anderson Cooper's giggle really annoys me. and Andy Cohen, everything about him annoys me. I can't watch them. I could hardly watch Kathy Giffin with Anderson. I won't watch anything this New Year's. I assume Ryan Searest is still do the Dick Clark Rocking New Year's Eve gig.
thanks for the suggestion about the spring tree.
Ron

Let Them Eat Cake!

  Lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing  Legend has it the late doomed French Queen Marie Antoinette said in response to the French peasan...