![]() |
| The Christmas Tree at the VA Outpatient clinic in Georgetown yesterday. Brought tears to my eyes. I'm just too damn emotional. |
This year as in many years past, Christmas will be a quiet affair here at Casa Tipton-Kelly.
Perhaps the only difference is that for the third year in a row I won't be working Christmas Day at the hotel. Since I became Bill's full-time caregiver in January of 2021, I haven't returned to my hotel front desk job at the boutique hotel in Lewes, Delaware. Of course I miss my job at the hotel (I've been working there since April of 2007), but taking care of Bill is my first priority.
Bill and I stopped exchanging gifts perhaps about forty years ago. We have everything we need, no need to buy more stuff just because of tradition dictates that we must buy a gift at Christmastime. One tradition we always had though was exchanging Christmas cards but we stopped that about five years ago when Bill lost his sight to macular degeneration.
Even though Bill and I don't exchange Christmas cards I do continue the tradition of sending out Christmas cards, although the number of cards I send each year is decreasing. Lately each year I've been losing some of my longtime Christmas card senders. I have to assume they have passed on as Bill and I will someday. That day is coming folks, that is a for certain. I have a feeling that next year either Bill or I will be alone but I won't dwell on that inevitability.
There have been a few times this Christmas season that the Black Dog arrived on my doorstep but he didn't stay long. I think by putting up a Christmas tree (two actually) this year I have kept the Black Dog at bay. Oh he keeps coming around the neighborhood, like just a few minutes ago. I was on FaceTime with Pat as I am several times during the day. While I was catching up with him with the "what are you doing?" his doorbell rang. It was a neighbor bearing Christmas fudge with "high octane sugar." Pat lives in a nice little house (568 square feet) in downtown Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. He's gone from his penthouse condo on the thirteen floor of the Royal Connaught Hotel. Pat has all kinds of friends and neighbors who are seeing to him this Christmas season. I live vicariously through his Christmas activities by asking him to take pictures and videos. Perhaps someday I can visit him again in Canada. I certainly hope so.
This month of December has been taken up with my various and sundry yearly doctors appointments. This morning I had to get up at the God Awful Hour of 4:30 AM for my 7 AM annually appointment at my dermatologist.

First to arrive at my dermatologist's office this morning. Nice marble floor!
What was I thinking when I made that appointment last year for 7 AM in the morning? I hate driving in the dark but that's just what I did this morning. Even with my cataract surgery, I still have trouble driving in the dark. Everything seems to be headlights. Dangerous driving for me. My visit this morning resulted in six burn offs of keratosis spots on my whole body from head (ear) to foot Been doing this for forty years now folks. Last year I finally had skin cancer (on my ear) but, thankfully, the year only the keratosis.
Yesterday was my annual appointment for labs at the VA. Next week I see my VA doctor for the results. I also see the VA podiatrist. Last week I saw my urologist. I got the all clear again on my PSA and kidney stones. Perhaps I have another year to make a difference on this planet. Earlier I saw my cardiologist. Again, I got the all clear and that aneurism that he was concerned about apparently disappeared. More good news! The bad news is that I have trouble walking. I probably looked pretty pitiful when my name was called yesterday at the VA Outpatient Clinic in Georgetown when I had trouble getting up then I hobbled in to get my needle. I had to take off my jacket and hoodie. I was embarrassed when I had trouble putting my hoodie and jacket back on. The nurse had to help me after seeing I was struggling. It doesn't seem that long ago that I was all smug about walking regular and seeing the other vets struggling walking back to their appointments. Well, I'm there now.
After I finish with these annual doctor appointments I planned to coast through the ensuing cold winter months. In the past I had my annual two week trip to the welcoming warm sunshine of Palm Springs California with Pat. Again, this year I have to take a pass at Modernism Week and new adventures with Pat. When I start feeling sorry for myself all I have to do is watch the news and see all those people in the world who are suffering like those in Israel and the Gaza Strip. My heart breaks for those Israelis who have lost loved ones and also for those Palestinians who are suffering so much with Israels retaliation against them ("collective punishment").
I have it pretty damn good here and for that I am thankful.
So to one and all, if you're with family this Christmas or just home alone, have a wonderful Christmas and beware of that high octane fudge! As for me, I'm watching the latest Bradley Cooper movie "Maestro" tonight.

2 comments:
Merry Christmas Ron!!
Yikes!! Who designed that dermatologist's waiting room. I have designed/oversaw a few remodeling/buildouts of medical offices in my time. That waiting room looks unfinished, cold, and an accident waiting to happen. What are those floors made of? They look slick and one wet spot is all she wrote. Do those chairs have rubber tips on their feet? I can't see the fabric on the backs of the chairs but they look beige. Maybe another color/fabric would be in order. The seats look like a material that can be wiped down instead of a fabric. I can see someone like you trying to get up when their name is called and fall back onto the chair that has skidded away. I get the aesthetic but it looks incomplete. And that w/c counter ledge on the left- looks cheap with those brackets in view. The gray and black trend is trying to die out. But the dermatologist's office is hanging on. How about something timeless.
Glad that Pat is having a good holiday season.
Have you ever thought of doing yoga or even a 3X weekly routine of stretching? Look online for a routine that looks good to you. Or maybe take a yoga class at a local recreation center. There are of course different levels. This could help with your stooping, and hobbling...
Looks like all your year-end appointments are complete and the new year to start afresh is upon us.
Be healthy.
Vic,
My dermatologist calls himself a plastic surgeon. He has a whole staff of people who do the burning off of keratosis bumps. That is a slippery looking floor. Very posh looking.
I do stretching routines. Walking helps a great deal. I have to force myself though to walk, which I haven't done yet today. No excuse though because it is sunny out now and the winds are down although the temperatures is hovering around 38 degrees.
Pat is having a good holiday season. Today he is off to visit his good friends Paul and Deb. He will spend Christmas with them. That's been his annual holiday tradition for a number of years now. Last night while I was talking to him on FaceTime one of his new neighbors rang his doorbell. She brought him gifts of food. That was a nice gesture on her part. Pat likes people to bring him food. He doesn't care to cook.
Ah yes, it does look like all my yearend appointment are completed. Now to coast.
Have a happy christmas Vic.
Ron
Post a Comment