| Rains a coming! We're the blue dot here in Rehoboth Beach, DE |
What a way to start off the New Year. We here on the Delmarva peninsula (home of the 46th president of the United States - his summer place is only five miles as the sea gull flies from my perch here on my computer typing this blog entry) have a winter storm watch for tomorrow.
The temperature is not sixty degrees but falling to twenty-seven degrees tomorrow. Rain last night and off and on today.
We just got back from Food Lion (our favorite local food market chain store, it's not Wegmans but better than any of the other supermarkets down here in Lower Slower Delaware). I had to stock up in case we're snowed in (we won't be but habits are hard to break). WE MIGHT BE SNOWED IN FOR WEEKS!
We won't be of course but JUST IN CÅSE
Our food store had plenty of empty shelves. Seems normal now ever since the onslaught of the COVID pandemic. I almost panicked because I couldn't find any half and half. If Bill doesn't have half and half in his morning and evening oatmeal (his main courses of meals since he doesn't have teeth now), there would be Hell to pay. As the Food Lion checking was ringing up my items I saw a carton of half and half on the conveyor belt placed by the lady behind me. I asked her "Where did you get that?" She said "On the shelf to the left in the far back." THEY MOVED THE HALF AND HALF! So I was one of THOSE people who hold up the checkout line while I rushed to the back of the store to the FAR LEFT and viola! There it was behind to really fat shoppers. "Excuse me" I ever so gently mouth my irritation at them without letting them know I'm irritated because they are blocking me.
I quickly grab one of the three remaining cartons of half and half and rush back to the cashier, as fast as my eighty year old legs could manage. Just another reminded that I'm an old man. Wow, I used to be able to dash around large supermarkets like this in seconds. Nowadays my arthritic body barely manages and you know what? It's not going to get any better. Ah, the Golden Years.
The lady behind me in the checkout line was waiting with pursed lips. At least she didn't roll her eyes. I thanked her and quickly tapped the WIFI connection device and paid for my bounty with my credit card and I wheeled me way out the automatic doors to the wet parking lot and Bill waiting for me in our car. "Home James" as we always say to each other when we're returning to Casa Tipton-Kelly.
This morning I awoke to the sound of rain. Oh no. As regular readers of this blog know, I have a leak in our basement wall around the sewer pipe. No, not sewage (God forbid) but ground water from the outside. The sealant around the sewer pipe gave out. I've been trying to get it fixed for about two months now. The latest delay is the guy who is going to reseal it has COVID and he and his family is quarantined. COVID, at least I'm not traveling this weekend as are my friends Jack and Judy who traveled to California to visit they children and grandchildren. Twenty-five hundred flights cancelled since Christmas. God, can you imagine declining with THAT?
As you have probably surmised by now I have a new tact in blogging. I'm going to try and blog every day, sometimes about just mundane goings on around here at Casa Tipton-Kelly. Maybe an occasional rant and sometimes lists! I haven't done a list in quite a while. I'm ready for a list and I know you are.
One more thing. While I was getting Bill ready for his day this morning (I have to change his Depends, massage his lower edema swollen legs, wash him, help to dress him), I noticed dried blood on his bald scalp. I asked him how did he do that. He said he was "pulling hairs out of his head." Folks, Bill is bald but he has the occasional wayward hair that shoots out like an antenna (I have eyebrows that do that. Pat has them growing out of his ears.) So what does he do, this 93 year old man who is on blood thinner because he almost died last year because of four blood clots that traveled to his brain? He PULLS the hairs out. Oh God. Always something new.
I have to be very careful when I explain to him NOT TO DO THAT or else he gets upset and starts crying and won't come out of his bedroom all day. Been there done that folks, not good. And just for fun he has some kind of skin condition on the inside of his left buttock (ass cheek). He wants me to I explained to him that his hospice nurse gave me a special cream to put on it daily, I can't "take it out of there." I know sometimes I perform magic but even my abilities have a limit.
Time to end this stream of conscientious before someone reports me to the Looney Bin Police.
Just another day In The Life folks. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get ready for my weekly 10:00 AM Zoom call with my friends Stuart, Larry and Pat. I have a new background (a video I took at Cape Henlopen). I want to show off to my friends.
Have a great day everyone and a fabulous new year
9 comments:
God bless you both in this new year...rain in falling on ice 36 degrees in NH , glad to be home ,as always I enjoy your writings ..my boy stil makes it out of the house alone ,but has fallen several times this winter..arthritis , memory problems..an God bless to both you and I that keep it all together~
I enjoyed your post, Ron! My nana used to say 'Home James and don't spare the horses.' Hope your storm isn't too bad. You are doing a great job looking after Bill. Your love exceeds no boundaries. Happy New Year and take care!
The weather is very similar here in TN. It was 70 degrees yesterday (New Year's Day) and tonight we are supposed to get snow! I'm NOT looking forward to the cold weather.
Take care, stay safe, and keep us updated.
michb,
"Rain falling on ice...", no thank you. Been there done that. One of my greatest fears (other than losing our democracy) is falling on ice. I did that five years ago, fell on snow covered ice and tore my left leg quadricep. Took twelve weeks to be able to walk then months of rehab to get a semblance of normality. I fear the snow and ice. I am so glad I don't have to go out in it now. I need both legs working to take care of Bill. He took care of me when that happened. He'll never be able to do that again.
Stay safe and have a healthy and happy new year.
Ron
Paul Forster,
God bless you Paul! It's been a long time. I believe you live in New Zealand. A place on my bucket list. Might not make it though, time catching up with me.
Thank you for your kind comments and have a happy, safe and healthy new year!
Ron
Jon,
Absolutely crazy weather! I see the coverage of those poor people in Colorado to a high winds brush fire. All those beautiful homes and their memories those homes contained, lost forever. Here on the flat coastal plain of southern Delaware we're at great risk for hurricane. Hurricane Sandy just missed us by fifty miles, swinging out to the ocean at the last hour or so. We've had a couple of water spouts that did some damage. I hope I'm gone off this earth when The Big One hits, and it will.
Take care Jon and I hope the new year brings nothing but good health and happiness to you.
Ron
and so starts a new year peace and joy to you both
kent,
Thank you. My best wishes to you also for a happy and healthy New Year.
Ron
Ron,
Snowed all day, but id not accumulate on the streets. Darryl stayed her over night because the snow as accumulating to the south. Think he said they got nine inches. This morning everyone must contend with black ice. Temperature was in the teens when I awoke.
I qm having someone come in tomorrow and try and get my computer system on track.
Call from Manor yesterday. Lois is showing some improvement bet still needs someone by her side in everything. We are going to try and go there as a family at their invite to see her care.I might even try to go with the kids when they go.,
Hope everything goes much smoother for you in 2022.
Lar
Post a Comment