Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving

Bill Kelly - our first Thanksgiving together 1965 Pennsuaken, New Jersey

Wow! Another Thanksgiving!

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago we were celebrating the end of summer?  And new we're here at Thanksgiving.  Is it me or does each year seem to go by faster?  

This year I will be working Thanksgiving Day at the hotel. I don't mind, I usually work Thanksgiving Day at the hotel. I meet the nicest people during that holiday. Almost all of our hotel guests are grandparents who are visiting their children and grandchildren in the area. I understand why they stay at the hotel, nice visiting the grandkids but have to get away from all those screaming high energy grandkids. I can't imagine.

I have to admit the one thing I do admit I miss on Thanksgiving Day is a nice turkey dinner with all the trimmings. Years ago I used to "do" Thanksgiving at home for just me and Bill.  Yes, I got caught up in the holiday tradition that this is what you do for Thanksgiving. But that was just too much food for the both of us. 

Neither Bill or I like to do the many guests thing. For a while we would have a one friend over, who was also alone on Thanksgiving. But that tradition fell by the wayside too when we had a fallout with that friend. 

For a few years I used to attend my friend Bob McCamley's Thanksgiving dinner that he and his partner Jim gave for us single gay men who had no other place to go.  That was fun and the dinners were always fabulous.  At times Bob and Jim would have as many as twenty-four single gay men over for dinner. But Bob died a few years ago and Jim is in an assisted living facility now.  

Another few times a former classmate would take pity on me and invited me over to dinner at his family's house along with other sad folk like me who had no other place to go for Thanksgiving. His wife and daughters prepared the traditional Thanksgiving dinners which were fabulous. If I lived in Pennsylvania I would probably be invited again. 

Those time are in the past folks. Good memories but now is now. Tomorrow I work at the hotel.  I'll meet some nice folks. I'll have an egg salad sandwich for dinner and at the end of my shift at 11 PM another Thanksgiving will be history.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone who reads this, especially those who are alone this Thanksgiving, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

24 comments:

Breenlantern said...

I LOVE egg salad sandwiches!!!! I’ll trade you my Turkey and Gluten Free Stuffibg for one :-)

Happy Turkey Day to you and Bill!

Jane Karwat said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Bill.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Ron! Have a great time with Bill.

PS-I want the sweater and table.

Anonymous said...

We hope you have a good day. Doing what you enjoy on this day is what it is all about. I sent you our new home address by 'snail mail', you should receive it soon.

wcs said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Bill, and to Pat as well! No matter what you do or how you do it, it will still be Thanksgiving, your way. And that's what counts! :)

Jon said...

Sorry that you have to work on Thanksgiving, but it's a nice quiet holiday (if no kids are around) and I'm sure the hotel is a pleasant environment. I miss not having a turkey dinner, too, but it's a lot of trouble to make - especially now that I live entirely alone. Perhaps I'll get a small turkey for Christmas.

Thanks for sharing some of your memories. On the photo with Bill - I remember those cloth wall calendars that were popular in the 1960's. One of my aunts used to send us a calendar like that every year. I miss those times when all my relatives were still around. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Bill!

Ron said...

Sean,
I LOVE egg salad sandwiches too! Always have. Bill loves them too. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!
Ron

Ron said...

Thank you Jane. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and friends too.
Ron

Ron said...

AlexandriaVic,
Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Bill loved that sweater. He literally wore it out. Haven't been able to find one like it since.
Ron

Ron said...

Mike,
I received your address change. Thank you! Pat and I may just stop by and visit you this February when we're in California. You're to too far away from where we will be staying. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Glenn.
Ron

Ron said...

You are so right Walt! That's the way I feel. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Ken too!
Ron

Ron said...

Thank you Jon. Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Weren't those cloth calendars cool? I don't see them any more. You're right about the hotel being a pleasant environment, it is especially during the holidays. Not crazy, just nice.
Ron

Bea said...

I think I grew up with the same dinette set! :D -great shot. -great sweater.

Happy Thanksgiving, Ron!

Geo. said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Ron. All my best wishes to you and Bill. I read your post aloud to Norma and she said yes, time is going faster. We've stopped chasing down dinners and will dine at home tonight. We also think an egg-salad sandwich sounds pretty good.

Ur-spo said...

I am thankful for knowing you.

pat888 said...

Happy Thanksgiving Ron: Yep - I like those 60's pictures too. Such a very cool era that people are discovering and rediscovering all the time. Of course our Canadian thanksgiving is well passed and I've had my tofurkey. But I hope you and Bill will somehow have a nice turkey dinner over Christmas.

Pat

Ron said...

Thanks Pat. The Sixties were a classic time weren't they? Very fortunate to have come of age then. So many good memories. You've given me a good idea for this Christmas. I think I will do up a Christmas dinner for me and Bill. It's been so long since I did one. Years. It's time.
Ron

Ron said...

Dr. Spo,
I too and thankful for your friendship.
Ron

Ron said...

Geo.,
I had that egg salad sandwich last night at the hotel and it was pretty darn good. But I do think I will do a Christmas dinner this year. Been years. I'll do one more before I check out. Time going by so fast.
Ron

Ron said...

Bea,
That was a popular dinette design! Bill gave it to my Mother. She used it for many years. In fact I think it is still in the family kitchen. My brother lives there now. A very sturdy dinette set.
Ron

Travel said...

Happy Thanksgiving,

nitewrit said...

Ron,

Yes, hurry, hurry, hurry, because those old places we once knew re disappearing.

Lar

Ron said...

Thank you David. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!
Ron

Ron said...

Lar,
And soon we will disappear too. Our time is coming, soon.
Ron

My World Is Shrinking

  Me at eleven years old without a worry in the world. Year 1953.  My world has been shrinking this past year. Yesterday I woke up with a mi...