Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Medical Update


At the oral surgeon's office this morning before my appointment. My mouth is shut now for the next 36 hours. Probably the first time in my life I won't make a sound for that long. Hallelujah.

Good morning folks. I just returned from having oral surgery on this fine, sunny day. Finally we got a day without rain and here I am visiting yet another doctor, an oral surgeon this time.   This is payback for all those times I teased my Mother during the last years of her life that her life was nothing but a series of doctor's visits.  Here I am folks, yet another doctor to add to my list of doctors who are trying to keep this old (74) body together for a few more years of fabulous times.

So what happened folks that caused me to see an oral surgeon?  Well, here's the deal.  A few weeks ago during my routine dental visit, my dentist noticed a white spot under the right side of my tongue.  He suggested that I might want to see an oral surgeon to have a biopsy taken.  And of course what goes unsaid but you all understand the implication . . . . cancer.

So this morning at 11 am I traveled yet again down treacherous Route One, looking for yet another doctor's office.  I'm losing track folks of the doctors I've seen since I've "retired to Delaware."  

I found his office without too much trouble, it was nearby the Giant supermarket.  

Fast forward, the good doctor examined the white spot beneath my tongue and suggested taking a biopsy just to rule out cancer.  However, he needed my permission. I could do it later or this morning.  I thought about it for about thirty seconds and opted for NOW.  

After signing all the papers (liability issues), I got the needle in my tongue to numb the area where he was going to cut (cauterize) the affected area of my tongue.  As you can imagine the needle didn't feel too good.  As a matter of fact, it was quite painful but that seems to be my lot in life now as I enter my Twilight Years. Painful procedures.  Tortuous, painful prep for painful, uncomfortable, inconvenient procedures.

The taking of the biopsy didn't take too long.  I didn't feel a thing actually.  In fact, may tongue is still numb but I know that once the anesthesia wears off I'll be in more pain.  Welcome to my world.

Now here's the good thing, depending on your perspective, I cannot talk for twenty-four to thirty- six hours.  I have to keep my tongue perfectly still. Now you know me not talking if going to be painful to ME, Chatty Cathy that I am.  

Another directive is that I eat NOTHING but soft, cold foods for the first twenty-four hours.  The second twenty-four hours I can eat soft, warm food.  Looks I'm eating smoothies today and warm soup tomorrow. And he and his assistant were very clear that I was to eat nothing hot or spicy.  And folks, you know I like hot and spicy food (just like my men) so you know this is going to be a major sacrifice for me.  I don't know which is worse, not talking or not eating my hot and spicy.  One thing is for sure, someone I know around here (Bill) is going to get a major break.  

So there we go folks. My latest medical adventure. I was sort of hoping for a break (no pun intended, please no more "breaks" - thinking of my new bicycle that I have to pick up).  

One day at a time folks. One day at a time.  At least it's stopped raining as attested by my new banner photo taken of my backyard this morning. 

Have a great day folks!  And if you're in good health, thank your lucky stars!


20 comments:

  1. Hope all goes well, for you, Mr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you "Tommy". I need all the hope I can get.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. All my best wishes, Ron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geo. Always appreciated.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Glenn and I are in good health. He is 60 I am 66. BUT it's only because we seem to go to the doctors more than we use to for those little 'tune ups'. Good to see you are taking care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,
      I am so glad I go to the doctor (VA) on a regular basis (every six months). He was the one who caught my prostate cancer. My dentist caught this lesion on my tongue. I shudder to think of where I would be now if I hadn't gone to the doctors on a regular basis. I'm glad both you and Glenn are in good health. I am looking forward to meeting both of you when Pat and I visit Los Angeles this coming February. Remember, put that date, February 12th through February 25th, 2017. We will be staying at an Airbnb in West Hollywood.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. We will keep you in mind for Feb.. You will be in town during the 2017 Oscar event. It will be on Feb 26. That should add a little excitement to your Hollywood visit.

      Delete
    3. Mike,
      I did not know that the 2017 Oscar event was at the same time Pat and I would be in LA. Good timing! We'l have to plan our trips every year at that time. Maybe this time we'll see a star. Two years running and we haven't even seen a has been star.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    I was thinking, wow, how do you keep your tongue still. If I thought about keeping it still I'd probably be wiggling it about. I am still fighting some ind of annoying bug. Had my doctor exam today. Everything was in good shape. This gets me, I was better in this physical than others, but I'm there complaining about being sick. So, why am I sick. She put me on Zyrtec rest of this week. That doesn't do it, then I take an anti-histamine. Doctor thinks it is some kind of spring allergy. Oh, Lois though I was walking too much for my age. I asked the doctor about this and she said, no, keep walking unless my bones hurt. You got to keep moving, I always say.

    Well, I'm sure your tongue thing will turn out fine.

    LR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      How do I keep my tongue still? It's not easy as you can imagine. As you said, "If I thought about keeping it still I'd probably be fiddling it about" which is exactly what I have been doing.
      Bill told me that you're still fighting a cold. For some reason I don't see your Facebook posts. It used to be easy to see Timeline posts on Facebook but now Facebook seems to work better at shoving ads in front of my face.
      I think your respiratory problems are the result of spring allergies. I have the same problem. Gets worse every year. I take a Loraditine tablet every morning. It seems to help.
      Oh, and your walking. Your doctor is right, keep walking. Best "medicine" there is.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. RON,

      Something weird with Facebook. Yesterday I sent out a status asking for anyone to post because I hadn't received anything in Facebook since the morning of the day before, no one's updates, no ads, nothing. People responded and I have been gets ing status since, but I don't know. A lot of hackers on Facebook these days, too. Can you check though and see if any of my Facebook posting are showing up on your home page, even if you have to scroll a bit.


      Lar

      Delete
  5. Keeping fingers crossed for a good diagnosis. At least you can still type! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Walt. I think the lesion on my tongue was the result of biting it twice in a short period of time. The lesion was actually like callus. But you're right, I can still type!
      Ron

      Delete
  6. (Written on new computer!) I do indeed thank my lucky stars every day that my health isn't worse than it is, Ron, because compared to others of my age and younger I've been living a charmed life. A lot of what you go through I look on as what could be happening to me not too far down the line, so reading your blogs can be quite a salutary experience even though it means skipping the odd line when you go into detail. (Injection in tongue - yikes!). By this time I imagine the worst of this little (but horrible) episode is over. But for what may yet be in store, if anything (as I hope not), I really do wish you well with any pains down at minimum.

    Btw: Yes, new computer (NOT an Apple, alas) is going okay, better than I'd thought. Still on learning curve, obviously, and particularly missing not having a mouse. May invest in one of those remote ones as I can't yet handle those minute motions required to scroll up or down to a particular area without overshooting - and it's driving me nuts! But got less reason now not to follow your (and others) posts.
    It's a mercy to be spared the frequent screen-freezings that had to be endured before - and that's only one of a number of pluses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray, this is great news! Now you can go back in my blog postings and look and hear all those videos. They're fun! By the way, what's with the no mouse? Do you have a laptop? You can get a wireless mouse for your laptop too. I did. I don't like the touch and feel of the trackpad, not enough control. That said, I am very happy for you. Now you can enjoy your Internet trolling with maximum pleasure. And no freezing up!
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Thanks again, Ron. Your questions are now answered on my own blog where you've asked them. See you again - probably very shortly.

      Delete
  7. Hi Ron,

    Just look at this as an opportunity to lose a little weight...lol!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly Andy. However, I don't think my abstinence from food will be long enough. I'll make up for that 36 hours soon enough.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Ron,

    It does seem the older we get the more Doctor visits become routine. I am glad that you went to the Dentist and he noticed the white spot. I hope you get a good result. It will be difficult not to talk. Take care, Ron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,
      I'll know next Tuesday the results of the biopsy. Always something to worry about.
      Ron

      Delete