Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Tribute to a Dog

Horace
1982-1998




The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous, is his dog.


A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in property, in health and in sickness.  He will sleep on the gold ground where the winter winds blow, and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side.  He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the sores and wounds that come in encounter with the roughness of the world.  He guards the sleep of his Pauper master as if he were a prince.


When all other friends desert, he remains.  When riches take wing and reputation falls to pieces he is as constant in his love as the sun in it's journey through the heavens.  If misfortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies.


And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in it's embrace, and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes, sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true, even in death.


Senator George Graham Vest, 1870

Horace as a young pup waiting for me to come home from work

Ooops!  He spotted me.  He's ready to spring into action


The new pup on the premises 1982

Me and Horace, our first Christmas card picture 1985


A mature Horace, this Christmas card picture taking is hold hat now -  1988



Old Horace, near the end 1998

My Mom, Horace and me - Horace doesn't want no one else holding him except me

Me and my buddy and constant companion, Horace


Horace's favorite activity - going for a ride - the way I will always remember him



5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:32 PM

    Hi Ron,

    What a precious dog. They really are loyal pets. Btw....are you still interested in having a cat? The reason I ask is because my son is downsizing & has a beautiful, black & white cat named Dusty. He is neutered & up-to-date on his shots. He also has a female cat that has not been spayed. I believe they both are 2 years old & are brother & sister. I thought I remembered a posting you did once where you said you might want one someday. I believe he is advertising them this week. There is no charge for them. He just wants them to go to a loving home. He will always keep my graddaughter's cat Angel as she is the queen of the house.

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:32 PM

    Hi Ron,

    What a precious dog. They really are loyal pets. Btw....are you still interested in having a cat? The reason I ask is because my son is downsizing & has a beautiful, black & white cat named Dusty. He is neutered & up-to-date on his shots. He also has a female cat that has not been spayed. I believe they both are 2 years old & are brother & sister. I thought I remembered a posting you did once where you said you might want one someday. I believe he is advertising them this week. There is no charge for them. He just wants them to go to a loving home. He will always keep my graddaughter's cat Angel as she is the queen of the house.

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fran,

    Thank you for the offer of a cat. If I was living alone I would take him (and possibly the second cat) in a second. Unfortunately my partner Bill doesn't like cats. That is the main reason we got Pomeranian dogs. He said they were the same size as a cat but "not a cat." If I am ever alone I will get a cat. I plan to rescue one (or two) from the local animal shelter or get it from a friend like you. Thank you for thinking of me.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I finally figured out how Firefox operates the ability to make a comment (and I was able to bypass the security settings).

    So, now I can tell you I liked the pictures and being a dog-lover, it made for a fun read. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane,

    So glad you can make comments on my blog now! I missed your comments. Have a great day!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete