![]() |
| Thanksgiving dinner 2003 at my friend's house - my last formal Thanksgiving dinner |
My brother Isaac asked me a few days ago "What are you doing for Thanksgiving?" This is a question I was often asked when I had a job. I hated that question.
In the past I almost always worked on Thanksgiving Day. That was my preference, not a big sacrifice on my part.
Oh for sure I appreciate what Thanksgiving stands for. I have much to be thankful for. Some of which I will list later in this blog post. But as for the day itself, I think that's for extended families My brother Isaac has an extended family. Either his son or his daughter invite him to their Thanksgiving dinner with their families.
Once a few years ago a good friend and former longtime school classmate invited me to his families' Thanksgiving dinner. That was nice. His wife had brined the turkey the night before which resulted in the best turkey I ever tasted. The rest of the meal and the family gathering was wonderful. I so appreciated that he invited me but I suspect he was trying to fix me up with his single cousin. I did notice we were conveniently paired up. She was nice but the ploy didn't work. I'm gay. I have a husband. And a good friend. Nice try.
This year I'm not working so I will be at home with Bill. Our day will be like any other day. No complaints here other than I would like to have a turkey dinner but I'm just not going to go to all that trouble for myself. But that doesn't mean I'm not thankful. Here are a few things I'm thankful for:
That I'm able to care for Bill
That I'm still here after 81 years
That I'm in relative good health for an 81 year old
That I have a beautiful, comfortable home in a relatively friendly state for gay people (never completely free from homophobia).
That our home is paid for - for that I am VERY thankful for!
That I still have good friends after having lost so many friends to death.
That I live in this country, imperfect as it is, I would rather live no where else in the world.
There are many more things I am thankful for, but these few are the first that come to my mind.
I hope you all have an equally thankful Thanksgiving.

4 comments:
Happy Thanksgiving to you both!
Thank Walt. I wish the same for you and Ken.
Ron
Happy Thanksgiving to both you and Bill!!
I am thankful to you! You do bring a little joy to my life reading about your adventures and everyday happenings. I am thankful that you are happy as you can be.
XO
Vic!
Your comments always lift me! Have a happy Thanksgiving!
Ron
Post a Comment