It was nice while it lasted, my brief respite from doctors' appointments.
Tomorrow at 8:45 I have an appointment at my cardiologist's office for a vascular test. I've never had a vascular test before. I know I have hardening of my arteries. I'm old. I've read up on vascular testing and was relieved to find that it's not invasive or painful. Thank God, I've had enough of those procedures to last me a lifetime.
So they find I have hardening of my arteries. What's next? A stent? That could be anything from an outpatient procedure to a four to seen day hospital stay. Who will take care of Bill if I'm in the hospital? He can't take care of himself. I have an idea in mind. No strangers in our house though.
In a couple of weeks I am also scheduled for something called a Dopler test. I'll have to read up on that but again it is yet another test for my failing heart.
I also have my annual full body check at my dermatologist coming up in two weeks. That's painful because I have to expose my sagging body to the (usual) very nice young lady who checks out this body that's been around the track more than a few times. Almost always they find something to burn off. Hopefully no more skin cancer sightings and just the pre cancerous keratosis lesions that they have been burning off for the past forty years. All that working on my tan in my Foolish Youth, I'm paying the price now.
These days I have a constant respiratory problem. Phlegm constantly builds up on the base of my throat causing me to always clearing my throat. I take daily medication for this condition so at least I don't have the sensation of feeling like I'm choking. The medication moderates the condition but doesn't remove it.
One condition I have that is causing me concern in the weakness in my legs. I'm unsteady on my feet. I find it extremely difficult to climb stairs. And when I get down on the floor or ground, it is extremely difficult for me to get up because of the weakness in the back of my upper legs. I've had this condition going on over twenty-five years or more now. One of the reasons I wanted to move from our home in Pennsylvania that our house was on the side of a hill which I found difficult to walk around outside. I also had a problem walking upstairs to my bedroom and bathroom in that two story farmhouse style house. Here my bedroom is right round from the kitchen. We have three floors in this house though. When I go upstairs or downstairs to Bill's bedroom I have to hand on the bannister. I manage but it is getting more difficult.
I'm falling apart folks. Incrementally, but inevitably I am deteriorating. Now that I've bemoaned my failing physical condition I remind myself how lucky I am that I am still about to get around on my own and care for Bill. My eyesight is great now after my cataract surgery. I can hear good, even though I occasionally need my new hearing aids at the end of the day. My audiologist says I don't have "profound hearing loss" like Bill. By the way he has an audiology appointment next week.
Yes, even though I have this myriad of medical issues I am way better off than many of my contemporaries. I take nothing for granted folks. And I am appreciative that I can still drive my car and otherwise function around the house here. Granted, I did realize my limitations when I had that kitten for a couple weeks. As much as I loved that kitten (and yes, I still miss her, she was a sweetheart) caring for her showed me I do have limitations.
Now it is time for our Daily Ride. Today I'm making one of my almost daily trips to our local Food Lion supermarket. Have to get more egg nog for Bill's oatmeal. He LOVES that egg nog. It's made locally. Contains about 2,000 calories per cup, and cost $9.99. Yes, $9.99. That's up from $4.99 last year.
Have a great day everyone!

No comments:
Post a Comment