Monday, February 07, 2022

Move To Palm Springs?

 As regular readers of this blog know, I have considered spending my sunset days living in Palm Springs, California.

Pat and I visited Palm Springs seven years ago for the first time and promptly fell in love with that desert paradise. 

Since our first visit to Palm Springs in 2015, we have returned every year for Modernism Week. COVID put an end to those annual visits last year. If not for COVID, we would be visiting Palm Springs right now here in February for two weeks. Maybe next year, if we survive COVID or whatever else may befall us in the months ahead.


Yesterday Pat found a house for sale in Palm Springs which meets our specification. Ten foot high ceilings, fee land (not Indian owned), plenty of windows letting in light, three bedrooms (one of which I would use for a home office), two and a half baths, a big open floor plan and a private swimming pool and a nice big patio. Many of the previous houses for sale I've seen in Palm Springs have eight foot high ceilings. I can't stand ceilings that low. I feel like I'm in a cave. And I need a LOT of light. Windows every where! Check it out yourself HERE:

Of course I'm not ready to move yet. I can't move as long as I'm caregiving for Bill. But there may come a time when I need caregiving. That can't happen here where I live in Delaware. If Bill should pass before I do, I am here alone. I have no one. And I can't bring Pat down here in Slower Lower Delaware to take care of me. While I like the Slower Lower lifestyle, that would be a slow death for Pat who loves the big city life style. I actually like that lifestyle too. 

My problem moving though is that I love our house here. And an even bigger problem is what do I do with all my stuff? Oh I know as my friend Larry told me on our FaceTime call this morning, "It's only things Ron." But, and big BUT that "stuff" gives me a lot of comfort. The memories and pleasure I receive from living among my lifetime collection of artwork (paintings, water colors and photos) is priceless. The furniture I can leave behind or give away. But my wall hangings, I can't take all of them with me to a new Palm Springs home but if I was facing living in an assisted living facility (which as regular blog readers of this blog know I will never do), I would have to part with that "stuff." 

That time of life folks, to make BIG DECISIONS.

I'm sure I'm not the only old folk to face these life changing decisions. It's hard folks. But doesn't that Palm Springs home look great? And the lifestyle of Palm Springs if very appealing. 

I call Palm Springs "The Elephant Graveyard of Older Gay Men of Means." 

I'm going there folks. That's where I plan to die. 



 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn’t stand to live on that small a plot of land and with neighbors so close. I’m going to stay right where I am until it comes time for me to check out. My heir can deal with taking care of things after that.

pat888 said...

Oh no - another death knell LOL. I think Palm Springs is where one comes alive. The vibe there exhilarates. In the last issue of Atomic Ranch Magazine (my favourite above Dwell and other such issues) the editor, in her forward, eloquently wrotein part:

Palm Springs has taught me what it is to celebrate and advocate on behalf of something you're passionate about saving. It's also taught me the power of community and what can be accomplished with like minded folk. Palm Springs reminds me how wonderful it is to connect with fellow modernists. Jickie Torres

For me Palm Springs is a wealth of modernist architecture wrapped in nostalgia and optimism. It brings about a breezy sensibility and the mountains are inspiring and calming. It's a kind of Disneyland for many people who enjoy lean toward that light easy relaxed lifestyle.

Pat

Ron said...

Annymous,
I too have a problem living so close to my neighbors. I have given that some thought when moving to Palm Springs. However, this house has privacy walls and that will work for me. Here, where I live in Delaware I have about an acre of privacy which is just perfect for me. I would prefer that distance but I probably can't afford that amount of land in Palm Springs.
Ron

Ron said...

Pat,
You express the advantages of moving to Palm Springs for the final chapter in our lives so well. I'm ready!
Ron

Let Them Eat Cake!

  Lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing  Legend has it the late doomed French Queen Marie Antoinette said in response to the French peasan...