Wednesday, July 08, 2026

Ron Gets Invited To Lunch

 


Something very rare happened yesterday. I was invited to lunch.....at a Mexican restaurant.

I can't remember the last time I was invited to lunch but this came as a pleasant surprise to me.

The person who invited me to lunch is a longtime friend and a former high school classmate with whom I've kept in touch with over these many years.

She's in town celebrating her 65th wedding anniversary. I had lunch with her last week when she arrived here at Casa Tipton-Kelly with her husband and some of her family. They met here prior to checking into their rentals for their two week stay.

We had lunch at another restaurant in Milton but it was so noisy I really couldn't have a decent conversation with them. It's interesting but when there are family visiting me I find I always gravitate towards the women instead of the men. Her husband, son and son-in-law, they didn't bother with me at all. I guess we just don't have that much in common with the guys. I have more in common with the women.

I wanted to go to a quieter restaurant like one of my favorite Mexican restaurants but her husband doesn't like Mexican food. I do. Except hot chile peppers, I like just about anything Mexican. Except fish or any sort of seafood. Ugh. 

Another problem when we went to lunch last week, the weather was brutal. Over one hundred degrees with humidity. Brutal. Today the temperatures are in the low 70's and low humidity. Forecast for the same tomorrow. Looking good folks.

I wanted to go to lunch again with my friend and her two daughters. But I didn't want to be so forward as to suggest it since she was gathering with family. She has seven children and I lost count of the grandchildren. She had to rent two houses for their get together celebrating her anniversary. 

She and her husband used to live down here in Lower Slower Delaware. Right in Lewes in a big house on the beach. When I was having my home built twenty years ago, she suggested that I could stay at their place while they were summering at their condo in Florida. I gladly accepted! 

I'm looking forward to that frozen lime margarita 



tomorrow. No salted rim please! She's driving.


2 comments:

VRCooper said...

Please have a great visit.

I love all kinds of food. I like spice but not hair on fire, eyes watering, and one breaking out in a sweat. To me spices should blend with other ingredients in the dish. Why would you want something so spicey that you can't taste anything else. It's like an old friend who loved ketchup on EVERYTHING. Why?? I don't mind seafood depending on what it is. Fish I can do. But I don't want to pick out any bones. I will not do oysters or muscles. Nope!! I have a basic rule with food. When it comes to the table I want it ready to go. I don't want to play with it to eat it. I don't do crab. I am not cracking or picking anything. I will eat crab if it is prepared ready to eat. I do not do sushi. Raw anything is not a go to for me. But I will eat a California or Vegetable roll. And my food has to served hot. I don't mind if it cools down while I am chit-chatting but it must come hot to the table.

Thank god she is driving. You and one too many margaritas and she will putting you down on the couch when you get home.

Please enjoy your visit.

Ron said...

Vic,
Lunch yesterday with my former classmate and her two daughters yesterday was wonderful! Just perfect.
Ron

Let Them Eat Cake!

  Lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing  Legend has it the late doomed French Queen Marie Antoinette said in response to the French peasan...