Yes, you read that right. Bill and I got tested yesterday for the COVID-19 virus.
How did that come about?
I've been saying for quite some time now that the only answer to controlling this runaway train that is the coronavirus pandemic is testing.
TESTING! TESTING! TESTING!
I had given up on getting a COVID-19 testing because heretofore the only way to get a test here in Sussex County Delaware was you had to have severe complications and a doctor's referral. Neither Bill or I have those near death complications. Nor do we have easy access to a doctor. Both of us use the VA for our health care. Try getting a doctor through the VA on short notice. Good luck.
Thus it was with relief that I read in our local newspaper that Delaware governor Carney had secured funds for FREE TESTING FOR ANYONE in Sussex County. The testing was set for two days (Friday and Saturday) in Georgetown, right off of Rt. 113 with is one of the hot spots in Delaware. There are a lot of chicken processing plants here in Sussex County. Some meat processing plants around the country have been identified as hot spots.
The testing was to begin at 9:00 AM Saturday morning at the Beebe Medical campus. Beebe Hospital was working in conjunction with the VA Outpatient Medical Center (which is where Bill and I go) to administer the tests.
We arrived at 7:11 AM. There was already a line of cars. We were sixth in line.
Within the next half hour the line of cars behind us was as far as I could see in my rear view mirror.
About 7:45 AM an army of PPE clad healthcare workers arrived with their equipment. The Delaware State police continued to direct the steady flow of traffic in the line of vehicles behind us.
Even though the testing wasn't to begin until nine o'clock, they opened the barriers at eight o'clock. We were motioned forward to begin the process.
While in our car, a PPE clad healthcare worker approached my driver's side of the window with her clipboard and took our information. I'm glad they didn't hand us the clipboard to fill out, which heretofore is what they did when you had to have a doctor's note and near death complications to get a test. This time she asked for my name, address, date of birth, and phone number. She also went down a list of my condition like shortness of breath, body aches, coughing, nausea, diarrhea, and some other body conditions. Well, of course, I have always had the shortness of breath, body aches, and coughing. I didn't have any of the other symptoms. We were directed to the line for the swab tests. The other line was for the finger pricking test, which tests for antibodies. Apparently we were considered possible coronavirus carriers.
The video above is Bill getting his swab test. I had already received my swab test, which I'm telling you was weird. It's fast but still weird. I knew what was coming for Bill, so that's why I videotaped it. Poor Bill, he didn't know what was coming. Well, we need a little humor in these serious times.
We were given a CARE package and told to self-quarantine for the next three to five days, in which time they will call us with the results of our swab test.
I have to say I was so impressed with the whole process yesterday. At how well organized it was, how caring the health care workers were, and that it was free!
Now, to get free tests for the rest of the country.
Stay safe everyone!
![]() |
| Cars lined up for the COVID019 testing yesterday in Georgetown, Delaware |

6 comments:
I hope testing makes a difference. There are so many variables to make it 'not work'. I hope it is better than not testing.
Spo,
We don't have many options at this time. Testing is better than none. At least we will know.
Ron
I had a swab test cone like that, only the guy dug much further up my brain. A nurse did another last year just barely up my nose. She said the first tester did an unnecessary amount up my nose. My friend who saw it done was a bit horrified and he is very brave.
Awwwww.....poor Bill! I know it's important to get the testing done, but it can feel like a bit of an invasive procedure. I had 2 knees and a hip replaced in one year, April 2017 - April 2018 and 3 times I had to have that swab test for mersa. It was like she was trying to poke my brain! Ouch!
My little hospital here in Canandaigua New York is a stickler for testing.
I hope you cooked him a nice breakfast after all that probing!
Linda,
I was warned that the swap up the nose was a "little uncomfortable". Still I was surprised at how uncomfortable it was, thank goodness it didn't last long. I can imagine how uncomfortable your first one was. We've been through some uncomfortable tests in our lifetimes haven't we Linda?
Ron
Cheryl,
Two knees and hip replaced, wow. That is a lot of medical procedures. So far we've both been lucky that we haven't had that to do. However, several of my friends my age have gone through those procedures. My one friend Stuart had no cartilage between his knee bones. It was quite an ordeal for him but he's better now. Poor Bill, he hates invasive procedures. I gave him a nice treat when we got home. Take care and stay safe!
Ron
Post a Comment