Sunday, October 13, 2024

Ontario My Visit To Pat Aug 25 – Sep 1, 2019


This is a video of my trip to visit Pat in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. A warning, it is long (eighteen minutes plus) but interesting. At least I think it is interesting. The reason I say this because whenever I post one of these compilation videos I receive no comments. Boring Ron!  That's okay folks, I post this blog for my therapy and for history. I like to think that someone like me two hundred years from now will see this video I'm posting on this blog and say "Wow! Look at how weird they lived in the two thousands!" I realize folks that videos like this probably have about as much appeal as sitting down and watching your neighbor's photo albums of their kids or your elderly neighbor's slides of their summer vacation in Europe, which I actually did once when Bill and I lived in Philadelphia. Oh I'll never forget THAT experience. Our neighbors George and Flossie Kehrer, the nicest folks but oh man, SO BORING sitting through an hour of their visit to Germany, especially when George got stuck on one city "I think this is Cologne, or was it Koblenz Flossie?" After he batted that around for about five minutes Flossie said (thank goodness) "It doesn't matter." Oh well, it was a beautiful pictures of a cathedral in one of those German cities but I digress. 

This video is of my trip from Delaware (my ride to the Philadelphia International Airport) to the Buffalo New York airport where Pat picked me up and took me over the border to Canada to Hamilton, Ontario where he was living at that time in a condo at the Royal Connaught Hotel. You'll see me and Pat at a party his neighbors who lived in a penthouse above him, invited us to  their soiree. Also visits to various vegan restaurants, IKEA and his friends Paul and Deb who lived in nearby Port Dover. Pat and I never do anything dramatic but we always have a good time together because we ARE together. Never bored when I'm with Pat.  

Again, this video is over eighteen minutes long. You've been forewarned. 

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ron - well I enjoyed those memories. But of course I am biased being a co-star LOL. Nice to revisit some of those places which are no longer. And also nice to see Carol in a better part of her life. Keep snappin'!!

Ron said...

Glad you liked the video Pat! And yours will be the only comment on this post. That's fine though, we both enjoy this video. Brings back a lot of good memories. Time to make more memories in Palm Springs this time come this February!
Ron

VRCooper said...

Hello Ron:

I did my homework.

I loved the video and the music that came along with it. Sometimes folks post videos and the music competes with the video.

My thoughts on the video presentation:

*Love me some Wegmans. Went to my first one while living in DC. My friend and I went to the one in VA right on the way to Richmond. Sensory overload.

*Love Pat's #6 garage parking space. Great for the wintery and rainy periods.

*Now don't we just love Pat's Fiat? Perfect for scooting around the city.

*I have seen pictures of Pat's old place. What a place. Too bad he couldn't keep it.

*You guys visited a lot of food places. I am sure with Hamilton/Ontario's diverse culture there are food places to match. Love a good pizza. I prefer quality ingredients and the pizza is baked a few minutes longer than usual. I hate underdone pizza. Now I am a simple man. Good food-check. Good, hot, quality coffee-check. A good pastry/bakery shoppe-check.

*Ikea? If we must. Swedish meatballs ok. But other food stuff? I am sure that are not making the stuff fresh in the back at those volumes.

*Hope the friend you visited in the hospital is doing well.

*A vintage record is always a must-stop.

*I was going down a rabbit hole months ago looking at condos in Pat's area and came across Kiwi. Some nice places.

*Loved the waterfront parking. One could just watch the water traffic go by.

*Loved the views of the city from the park on the hill. Just breathtaking.

*A good outdoor car show is always a time well spent.

*I hope you passed a note written on a cocktail napkin given to the flight attendant to pass along to the guy in his BARE FEET ON AN AIRPLANE. Put your damn shoes on. We don't want to see all of that.

I did my homework and showed my work. Thank you for posting.

Best of health,

Victor
XX

*The countryside looks peaceful.



Ron said...

Victor,
You are super! You actually saw my whole video and appreciated it! I am impressed. Did you know Hamilton is located in a valley. We were viewing downtown Hamilton from the escarpment above Hamilton. A great view. Whenever Pat and I get together we like to try different restaurants. This year that is gong to be difficult because I'm on a greatly reduced income (no hotel job and Bill's Social Security income to help with household expenses) and the COVID increase in restaurant fare. Pat was discussing with me yesterday about how expensive those restaurants are now. We've made plans to spend two weeks in Palm Springs this February (for Modernism Week) but we may just be cooking at our VRBO rental a few nights during our two week holiday. Both Pat and I LOVE Wegmans. Pat loves his FIAT. He got a new one (or at least "new" for him, it was used). This new one is an off green color but otherwise just like his other FIAT. Pat's penthouse apartment was fabulous. Unfortunately due to COVID and caretaking for Bill I was never able to experience it myself. He had a two bedroom condo. Oh how I would have loved to spend at least one night there in my own bedroom and bathroom. As it is, his new place, although very nice for him, was much too small for both of us, that's why I had to stay at a nearby hotel (The Hampton Inn). He stayed with me at the hotel during the night. During the day we toured the city, ate at new restaurants and visited his friends Paul and Deb again. But with the neighbor problem Pat had and the smallness of his pocket sized house, I couldn't stay there with him or even eat there. He only has a small shelf. Pat likes to live that way, I myself prefer a bigger place. By the way, Pat never used his kitchen once in his penthouse condo.
Thanks again Vic for the respect you gave to me by actually viewing the video I posted of my trip from the time my friend Clarence (and his wife) picked me up to take me to the airport and the time they picked me up when I returned, this time his little dog accompanied him. I really liked the video and the music. You're right, sometimes music that accompanies videos get in the way but this music was very appropriate I thought.
Now you've encouraged me to post more videos. I never did post some of the videos of our Palm Springs trips. Our last one was five years ago. Oh my how fast time passes.
Ron

VRCooper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
VRCooper said...

My pleasure---I had a friend in Dallas who had a nice condo---A few of us friends went over to check it out----I wondered around and then I came to the kitchen----I said to myself this guy has been living here for a spell and this kitchen looks like it has never seen a pot or a pan----I inquired----He said that he seldom goes into the kitchen---He marched over to the stove and opened the oven---He said look this is where I keep my important papers---Sure enough he used his oven as a filing cabinet---

Ron said...

Vic,
Sounds like Pat. He's never used his oven, never as long as I've known him which is eleven years now.
Ron

Anonymous said...

Well, you threw down the gauntlet, so I took the challenge and watched! Nice travelogue. You guys were on the go - friends and lots of good looking meals. I admire your filming so much of the trip, and the good editing. Looked like a fun time. Here’s to more…Olivia

My World Is Shrinking

  Me at eleven years old without a worry in the world. Year 1953.  My world has been shrinking this past year. Yesterday I woke up with a mi...