Sunday, October 31, 2021

Happy Halloween 2021

Me (guess which on) Halloween 2009 - Rehoboth Beach



 Yes, I'm still here folks! 

Now trick or treating this year for me this Halloween. 

The photo above was the last time I ventured out dressed to the gillies for Halloween. 

Oh how I used to look forward to Halloween. Not so much these days.  

Earlier our doorbell rang. Whoops! I forgot it was Halloween.  I checked my Ring video and sure enough, a young lady out there with a child. I have no idea who it was. I didn't answer the door. Bah humbug, that's me these days.

My caregiving continues. 

Bill is slowly getting weaker. He has a hard time talking and his cognitive abilities are slipping further but thank God he's not in pain and he knows who I am.

Since I last posted we've had several developments. Depressing at first but I've rationalized them and put myself in a "life goes on" mode. 

My annual labs and medical checkup at the VA revealed a "spot" on my left lung. My NP has recommended I get a CAT-SCAN. Also, my white blood cell count is down. I'm not sure what that means. I'm not HIV-Positive. 

I got my COVID booster shot last week. About eight hours after the booster shot I had some troubling after effects, feeling blah and shortness of breath. Actually very scary. I don't know how much was in my mind and how much was actual physical reaction. However, when I woke up next day all was back to normal.

In a couple of weeks I'll be eighty years old. And I ask myself "How in the hell did THAT happen?" 

Taking everything into consideration I still feel very fortunate I've reached this grand old age and the life I've had. A truly wonderful life for an "slightly" below average guy of intelligence and looks. Pretty darn good I say.

Have a happy Halloween everyone!

6 comments:

Jon said...

Happy belated Halloween, Ron! I wanted to leave a comment yesterday but I'm having trouble with my computer keyboard. I used to really love Halloween, but lately I'm so immersed with problems that I hardly had time to think about it.
Fortunately I never have to worry about trick or treaters because my house is nearly impossible to find here in the wilderness.

VRCooper said...

Thanks for checking in!! I have always loved Halloween. The imagination with some of the costumes is amazing. I live in a secure building so there is no chance of someone ringing my doorbell. I am glad that Bill is comfortable and not in pain. Get yourself checked out. We can't have you falling apart on us. You are doing self-care?? Are you having a change of scenery?? Be well dear!!

Ron said...

Jon!
Always good to hear from you. I can imagine the look on your face if you did have trick or treaters appear at your door. Would you answer your door? I certainly wouldn't. I used to live in the middle of the woods. I definitely wouldn't want to live where you live. I love the wilderness but wouldn't want to live there at this time of my life. No way. I prefer a neighborhood and our 2/4 acre lots are just enough space.
Ron

Ron said...

Vic,
Good to hear from you again. I manage to make time for myself during our daily routine but sometimes it is tough. I would like to have a break. Bill has finally consented to taking advantage of the offer from Delaware Hospice for respite care for me, his caregiver. I'll wait until Pat is available for a visit then I'll take him up on his offer. Enjoy the autumn Vic.
Ron

Anonymous said...

Well, it's not All Saints Day and I think caregivers are saints. The past 10 months have been draining, so find respite when and if you can. Hope you are eating right. Sometimes when busy caring we look after ourselves a little too little. And while white cell counts that lower can be something to monitor, it can sometimes be related to diet. Thanks for taking the time to post and enjoy the last days of your 8th decade.

Ron said...

Thank you Anonymous for your well wishes!

Let Them Eat Cake!

  Lemon cake with lemon buttercream icing  Legend has it the late doomed French Queen Marie Antoinette said in response to the French peasan...