Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veterans' Day 2012

A collage put together by my sister-in-law Barbara Tipton (John's wife) of me and my brothers Isaac and John and our parents - who raised us right
Today is a very special day.  This is a day when we salute all those veterans who gave to their country their time, limbs and life to protect the many freedoms we have today.  

Me and my brothers Isaac and John - civilians
Not to be too political but this is one of the many reasons I could not vote for the Romney/Ryan ticket.  A presidential candidate who didn't even consider our veterans or armed force service members worthy of a mention in his acceptance speech is not a candidate worthy to be president.  A candidate who has five healthy sons, none of whom saw the need or moral character to volunteer their service to their country isn't fit to be president.  A candidate and vice presidential candidate who has vowed to cut services to our veterans and who deems them as part of the "47%" who says:

...who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it -- that that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what. ... These are people who pay no income tax. ... [M]y job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

A candidate for president who demonstrated in support of the Vietnam war for his peers yet spent his draft eligibility years bicycling around France, making love letters in the sand to his future wife Anne.  

I could go on and on such as no member of Romney's family ever served in the military; father, grandfather or great-grandfather yet they have reaped so many rewards from the land of opportunity called the United States of America.


My heart goes out to all those young men and women who have lost limbs and are permanently disabled for the rest of their lives by the war of choice in Iraq.  


And finally, it doesn't help those who have lost their loved ones but I salute and have the utmost respect for those families who have lost their loved ones during their tour of duty in the service.

My brother John Lee Tipton - 1962
My family was fortunate.  I joined the Army in 1960 and my younger brothers quickly followed their big brother into the Army.  We thought it was the right thing to do, to give back to our country for the privilege of living her and enjoying its freedoms.  


My brother Isaac Walter Tipton, Jr. - 1962

Many members of my family have also done so, just like members of millions of other American families.  At this one time of year we recognize and appreciate them.  They deserve our recognition year round.

Me (Big Brother) Ronald Walter Tipton - 1960

Do you part, if you see a man or women in uniform or discover an older man or woman who is a veteran, thank them for their service.  I always do as does my partner Bill (who is also a nine year veteran of both the Army and Air Force).  It will make you feel better and it will always bring a smile to that veteran's face.  There is no greater good that we can do.

Me (center) and brothers Isaac (left) and John (right) - 1951 - during more innocent years

10 comments:

  1. Today is an important day as we salute all veterans. I liked Andy Borrowitz
    quote on Facebook this morning : "Looking for a way to honor veterans? Give one a job". Happy veterans' day Ron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      Exactly right! Interesting thing when I got out of the Army in 1963, I couldn't find a job. I thought for sure after three years in the Army I would have no problem. However, I did. Eventually I got a job through an employment agency as a hotel night auditor which paid $250 a month. When I left the Army I was earning $389 a month! Then again, I was much luckier than most returning vets for which I am thankful.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    In a previous post you said you had no photo of yourself in your Army hat, except for the one you just received from Bill B. I have a full body photo of you in your dress uniform and hat standing in my parent's home in 1960. I am emailing it to you.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      I meant a head shot only. The one I posted in this blog I took from my Army Basic Training yearbook. It's not the best photo. I screwed up when I didn't order this photo, I thought I would have another chance. One never came up again during my three years in the Army and I never thought to have an official portrait taken. What was I thinking? Now that I'm and OLD MAN I have all kinds of portraits taken. Too late! :)

      Ron

      Delete
  3. my father served in italy during WWII. he has a purple heart from that war.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      Is you father still alive? Please express to him my respect and thanks for his service to our country.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Thank you for service, Ron. Happy Veterans Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Colby. My three years in the Army changed my life for which I am ever thankful.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7:54 AM

    Ron, I'm a Viet Nam veteran and it totally changed my life in ways that I'm still coping with. A friend in Wilmington NC told me about your blog and I've enjoyed it immensely. Just turned 70 and after a 35 year career in New York I'm back in North Carolina. It's so beautiful; however, I got so used to instant gratification in NY (theatre, music, museums, etc) I'm having a hard time coping and learning new ways to fill my days. Feel like I'm rambling so will close. Hope you have a great week. Barry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barry,

      Thank you for your comment. I would like to talk to your more about your life experiences and especially North Carolina, which at one time I considered for my retirement. Send me your e-mail address.

      Thanks,

      Ron

      Delete