Now for the Christmas countdown!
Yesterday I completed ordering my annual personalized desk calendars for 2025. I send one of those desk calendars to my close friends. These are my Christmas gifts. That and a personalized Christmas card. I have the cards ready and this year I have the dreaded Christmas Letter that I'm sending out. I usually don't send out Christas letters but this year I want to inform my friends that I'm flying solo this year. I'm informing them that Bill is gone.
I'm not sure if I'm going to put up a Christmas tree this year. I only put up a colorful Christmas tree last year for Bill. Bill, with his macular degeneration, was legally blind but he could see colors and the colorful lights of the small aluminum tree I put up in his line of sight gave him comfort and pleasure. I was going to put up that tree again this year but it would just be another reminder to me that Bill is gone for the rest of my life. Ron is flying solo again, for the first time since I was twenty-one years old.
All my life except for that brief year and a half period from when I got out of the Army in January 1963 to March 1965, I have always lived with other people.
From the Grand Central Station of my Tipton Family Life before I joined the Army at eighteen years old to those three years in the Army with I lived with hundreds of other guys, I've never lived alone.
![]() |
| Me and my two younger brothers and some other neighborhood brats back in the Fifties when we were the Terrors of the Neighborhood |
I always yearned to live alone but when I did, I didn't like it, not at all. I thought I would but I didn't. Oh, there was one other time I lived alone that I actually did like it. It was a brief eleven month period in 1980 from January to November. Our house was being built in Pennsylvania but not completed so I had to rent a fourth apartment in center city Philadelphia at 2124 Spruce Street for $150 a month. I actually liked that. Bill with our two Pomeranian dogs lived in the unfinished house in Pennsylvania until construction was completed. I think the difference this time was that I knew it was only temporary that I would be living alone.
Oh, there was one other time I lived by myself. A furnished one room efficiency apartment in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
![]() |
| The grand Victorian house in Shadyside, Pittsburgh where I resided for about three months in 1960 before I moved back to my hometown because I was just too lonely in Pittsburgh. |
I had an eight dollar a week apartment where I had to share a bathroom with four other apartments! I hated that. My room was on the right, first floor. The bathroom was on the second floor and invariable someone was always in the bathroom when I wanted to use it. If I did happen to get the bathroom to myself, then someone usually was knocking on the door asking "How long are you going to be?" Folks, that's one time you don't want to be rushed. I hated it.
I'm experiencing the loneliness of living alone again but this time I'm getting used to it. Probably the big difference is that I know I won't have years and years stretched before me living alone. At the rate I'm going now (falling asleep at 8:30 at night), I won't have all that many years left. Back when I was twenty-one, I wasn't too happy about sixty or seventy years ahead of me with the prospect of living alone.
Notice how I start out with the Christmas subject of this blog posing and I veer off to living alone? That's the way I compose my blog postings folks. Whatever train of thought winds its way through my overloaded brain.
![]() |
| 1075 Hopewell Road, Downingtown, PA my bedroom (finally had my own bedroom!) was the middle awning room |
Will Pat and ever live together? I doubt it. We're way too set in our ways, both of us. Oh yes, we'll still get married but we'll have a long distance relationship. And that is fine with both of us so anyone reading this blog thinks I'm up to having someone else move in here at Casa Tipton-Kelly, you can have another think coming. It ain't happening. I've already severed my relationship with one longtime acquaintance who was making the moves. It ain't happening. That person was already trying to run my life. It ain't happening. No more reporting where I go, when I'm coming back and all that freedom that one has to give up when sharing living arrangements with someone else. I didn't mind with Bill because we loved each other. I'll have have that love or love somebody that much again. Never.
Have a great day everyone!







5 comments:
I don’t understand… What is the reason for getting married if you are going to live far apart?
I forgot to 'sign' that comment.
Jim
Hello Ron,
I know you are just getting up from your nap.
You know me, I have to weigh in.
The homes---
I love 2124 Spruce Street. I love a good walk-up. I would have to see the interior. I have lived in DC and seen homes divided up and the result is not so becoming. Now I would love to bring it back to a single-family home. I have seen some great results. I have visited PA in the past and have actually been on Spruce Street. I stayed at a boutique hotel in that area and walked everywhere. At the time of my stay, there was a massive heatwave that hit the area and was unbearable. And this coming from one who once lived in Texas.
The grand Victorian is to die for. I don't know how the place was divided up. I see two doors so at least it was a duplex. I can see that. Just do it up right and don't chop things up. Reminds me of Denver. If you look at some neighborhoods the homes are a lot closer than others. After WWII there was a housing shortage and building regulations were relaxed. Also, you had homes that looked like regular houses but looking a little closer they were built as duplexes. As in DC, we counted the mailboxes. Also in Denver, you will have homes on the streets, most of them are what one would call Denver Squares or bungalows, and all of a sudden you see a one-level duplex or other multiples of one-level homes joined together that would normally be a single home or two built on those lots. Some of the duplexes are very interesting architecturally. If I had the money, I would have bought a few. Great investment properties. I knew a guy in Sacramento who lived in a duplex. After a while, he bought the other duplex. After a while, he graduated to a single-family home and kept the duplexes as investment property.
Thanks for sharing. I am still waiting for the book WITH PICTURES to come out. I want the 5th copy.
Have a great evening.
Best,
Victor
XX
PS-You and Bill in 1976 in your side column of pictures. That was the year I graduated high school. I was supposed to graduate in 1975. You can figure out the rest.
Vic,
You graduated in 1975. I graduated in 1959, last of the Fifties Generation! I loved 2124 Spruce Street too! I have pictures of the interior of that apartment which I will post in a future post. I wish I had taken pictures inside of our apartment at 120 Washington Avenue but that was before I had a camera. My first camera (a Kodak Brownie of course) was when we moved to Boot Road in 1954 when I was twelve years old. That's when my picture taking started.
Ron
Jim,
To answer your question, two main reasons for getting married. I am committed to Pat and he to me. We love one another. The other reason is so he can have his dual citizenship. We may eventually live together. But for now it's not practical.
Ron
Post a Comment