Tuesday, December 17, 2024

Another Doctor's Appointment Today


One of my many doctors appointments


 December is the month of follow-up doctor's appointments.

Today I have an appointment with my urologist. This is an annual follow-up appointment to check on my kidney stones and prostate cancer.

Last week I gave blood for my labs and also had an ultra sound. Hopefully I get a clean bill of health again this year. If I don't, then I am resigned to the next step in my life's journey.

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2013. That's also when I had several kidney stone attacks. I survived both at that time by having surgery. I consider myself very lucky to have survived this long. I hope I have more years left but if I don't, I will still be grateful for the last eleven years, especially the last three years that I was privileged to be Bill's caregiver. Speaking of which, I am still grieving and now accept the fact I will grieve for my loss of Bill the rest of my life. 

Later this month I have my annual dermatologist appointment. Last year my doctor did find I finally developed skin cancer. That was on my ear.  He took it out which required three stitches. I've been going to the dermatologist for about forty years now.  I've always had the precancerous (keratosis) before. My dermatologists over the years have burned off those spots resulting in me leaving their offices like I was beat up. Well, I was actually.

After these doctor's appointments then it is time for me to prepare for my trip to Palm Springs with Pat in February. I have to say I'm not looking forward to this trip. Once I'm there I guess I'll be all right. It's just the preparation and the traveling by air. You know what a nightmare air travel is these days. My neighbors on either side of my house (I'm still getting use to saying "my" house when referring to Casa Tipton-Kelly) will collect my mail and keep an eye on my house. I also have Ring doorbell and inside cameras so I can "keep and eye" on MY house from afar, even in Palm Springs.  I guess my main reason for not looking forward to this trip is that I don't walk that well now and I'm just too comfortable here in my own home. When I was younger, I LOVED to get away. As much as I loved Bill it was good to "get away" every now and then. Not so much now, I'm perfectly comfortable here at home and yes, Bill's spirit is still here. I haven't changed anything in his bedroom including this T-shirt that he last wore at the hospice facility. I haven't washed it and I have left his room as it was when he lived here. Bill's ashes are also in his room. We're still together folks.

Well, time to get ready to leave for my appointment.


4 comments:

VRCooper said...

Hey Ron!! You look great in the picture. I love the shaved and no-hat look.

I rarely go to the doctor's office. I have an appointment with a PCP-DO in the middle of next month to evaluate my blood pressure. I have never had issues with my blood pressure. I work out 6 days a week, my weight is in check, and my diet is decent. I don't like fatty and salty foods. I noticed something during the Spring when I went to the dentist for a root canal. I am now where my previous dental work is wearing out. I have not had a cavity in years. I was prescribed an antibiotic and was taking it until completion. I remember not being able to fully run on the treadmill as usual and stopped and opted for a vigorous walk on the treadmill. I thought it was just the medication that did have side effects of breathing issues. Fast forward a few months ago following up on dental work my dentist's office started taking blood pressures. I was like 174/100. What the hell. They looked at me and asked if I was ok. I said yes, I feel fine. My dentist could not figure it out because I work out, eat well, and am in pretty good shape for my age. He proceeded with my care but suggested I buy a BP cuff and start taking my blood pressure. So I have for the last couple of months. It is hovering around 154/90. That is Stage 2 hypertension. It has not gone down. So I make an appointment to see what is up. Appointments are hard to come by these days.

Boy, you are more advanced than me. I could never get a Ring doorbell. I don't want a breach of my privacy. As well, you will never catch an Alexa in my house.

Here is to a clean bill of health. Have to get you ready for Palm Springs. I used to tell my patients that when you walk around thinking you're going to fall and are overcompensating your gait you are going to fall. My suggestion is to do exercises that will improve your leg strength, balance, and core. There are great chair exercises to help you with this. How about visiting a physical therapist to give you an exercise plan that is geared toward your age and gives you the confidence to move about. You can also find a routine online.

Have a great rest of the week.

VRCooper said...

https://youtu.be/cAOK3apyCOc?feature=shared

Ron said...

Vic,
Like you I never had a problem with my blood pressure. Now all of a sudden I have higher (140' to 150's) blood pressure. I now take my blood pressure pills. I understand about the walking and fear of falling. I try to hit a balance about having confidence when I walk but I don't take anything for granted like I did before I had a balance problem. I am careful. I've heard of those exercises of methods to increase you balance. I'm not sure that I want to go to a physical therapist yet though. I think I can manage myself. I hate to start those visits to a physical therapist. I went though that for three months after my leg surgery for tearing my quadricep muscle some years ago.
Ron

Ron said...

By the way Vic, I've let my hair grow a little longer now but I don't like it. I'm going to go back to the shortened version that I had in the picture on this blog posting.
Ron

Labor Day Weekend

  Photo of the back of my home here in southern Delaware taken at 1:26 PM today -  I may not have access to the boardwalk or a view of the o...