Sunday, May 17, 2026

Longtime Gay Friends

 

Me and Don at "More Than Just Ice Cream" restaurant in center city Philly October 20, 2015


Next month when Pat comes down for his quarterly visit to Casa Tipton-Kelly, we're taking a few (two) days to visit Philly and my longtime friend Don McK.

I've known Don for at least sixty-two years. We met through our mutual friend Ron Hampton, who was my best friend during my Army days.

Don and I worked at two Philadelphia banks during our long friendship. We were both job eliminated during the Great Banking Merger era in the Eighties. I got a new job at another Philly bank and hired Don. After I left that bank Don continued working there. I had a few more banks to work for before I changed careers and went to work for hotels.

Me and Don some years earlier at our friend Bob McCamley's single wide in the woods outside Georgetown, Delaware sometime in the Eighties


Over the years we have maintained our friendship. Don has been a steady and true friend. With the exception of Pat and my new friend Glenn M., Don is the only gay friend I have left.

I haven't seen Don in person since 2019, just when COVID hit. We've kept in touch via FaceTime though. These days we mostly talk about our failing health and have some laughs about how we're falling apart. Gone are the Glory Days of our misspent you. We also laugh about those adventures too.

Don is 89 years old now. I'm 84. We're on our way OUT and we know it. Question is, who goes first? 

When Pat comes down next month for his quarterly visit to me here at Casa Tipton-Kelly we're going to take a few days to visit Don in at his home in center city Philly. Don lives in a building of mostly old folks, a nice alternative to assisted living facilities. He still has his freedom although he says "everybody passes me by when I walk the streets." Me too Don.

Don and me on the rooftop garden of the building he lives in at 21st and Chestnut Streets, Philadelphia October 20, 2015


Next month's visit will probably be the last time I see Don in person. He has been a good and faithful friend of mine for so many years. It will be interesting to see if he meet up again in the Afterlife. I know I will be with Bill again.

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

wow! to have a friend for that long. Well done! Good for you I say! 💪🏻

Ron said...

I had a lot of other friends for a long time but they died. I feel like the Last of the Mohicans.

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...