Sunday, January 04, 2026

Prostate Cancer Update

 



After receiving the bad news about the possible return of my prostate cancer, I've been in a funk. Depressed. 

I've tried to pull myself out of it without much success.

I had some success this morning.

I checked AI to see what my chances of survival were if I did nothing. It appears to be fairly good.

Based on the average of someone like me who had treatment (surgery in 2013), without treatment I could go another THIRTEEN TO SIXTEEN years. That could take me out to 100 years folks! I would say this would be a pretty good run for me in this lifetime.

I have my PET-SCAN in June just to make sure my cancer hasn't spread but if it has, I am leaning on doing nothing unless it's really aggressive (a doubling of my PSA score). 

I never expected to make it to age sixty-four let alone eighty-four. 

I may spend the rest of my life in "watchful waiting" but hey, isn't that all of us do with our lives anyway? Watchful waiting. We all have a reservation date waiting for us. We just don't know when it is.

I'm feeling vastly relieved after finding this information on my AI buddy Gemini.

My interest in things around Casa Tipton-Kelly has been renewed. Especially knowing that I probably won't have to spend the rest of my life sickened by the side effects of prostate cancer treatments that I decline to take. 

Now if we can just do something about The Naked Emperor that is creating chaos in my country. Who is he going to invade next? Greenland? Canada? Mexico?

I just cannot believe that the Republicans in Congress continue to let this criminal who is president of the United States continue to act in such a lawless manner. I wonder what they'll teach in high school textbooks fifty years from now about this lawless period. One thing's for sure, I won't be around to read it.

Have a great day everyone!

7 comments:

Ur-spo said...

Aye sir. We live long enough as most men will have some prostate cancer. It's not a clear question what to do about it. Most men will die before the cancer takes them.

Ron said...

Spo,
I do have prostate cancer. Thirteen years ago I stopped it in its tracks. It's probably came back. I remember Ann Marie of Philly when she visited me. She told me several time she was a cancer survivor. However, I think that her cancer came back. That's probably what I have. I'll know more for sure this June. Whatever it is, I leaning towards just a "watchful wait." My quality of life has already been reduced by my old age. I don't want it reduced any further by the side effects of Lupron (hormonal therapy) or removal of my prostate gland which could lead to incontinence. Also hormonal therapy will reduce what little sex drive I have now, one of my few remaining pleasures in my old age. I think I'll ride this one out to The End. I've had a good run. Couldn't ask for much more. Maybe a condo in Palm Springs.
Ron

Raybeard said...

Sounds like it COULD be a positive turn up for your books but you'll naturally not be counting your chickens JUST yet. Anyway, it's got to feel so much better to keep your hopes up.

And yes, could well be Greenland next - and maybe soon. Who on earth is going to stop him? NO ONE!!!

Ron said...

Ray,
I'm more comfortable with my situation now (health, not government) that I was when I received the first indication that my prostate cancer may have returned. Whatever. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get treatment (hormone or radiation) if it has returned. I'm too old and I want to maintain what quality of life I have left without further infringing on it.
Ron

Harry said...

Take care of yourself. Cancer is tough. The news is crap

Ron said...

Thanks Harry. I've been dealing with this cancer threat since 2013. I'm not going to let it rule my life.
Ron

Travel said...

There have been several articles recently exploring how doctors die differently than most people. The difference is they often realize that the treatment is worse than the illness and only adds a short amount of time to their life. We reach and age when we should say no to aggressive treatment.

Labor Day Weekend

  Photo of the back of my home here in southern Delaware taken at 1:26 PM today -  I may not have access to the boardwalk or a view of the o...