After much thought and weighing all the alternatives, I've made my decision on my prostate cancer treatment.
I am not going to get treatment.
I will follow through with the PET-SCAN that is scheduled for me this June. I will also have blood taken again ("labs") to see if my PSA score has risen. But whatever the results, I have decided at my age it is not worth the risks of the sides effects of treatment should my prostate cancer return.
Some of the side effects:
Incontinence (fro removal of my prostate
Hormone therapy side effects (hot flashes, lower sex drive)
Radiation (destroying my organs like happened to my brother who died "cancer free" but all his organs failed from treatment therapy.
I will continue living my life as I have been since 2013 when I first discovered I had prostate cancer and had seed implants to kill the cancer in my prostate.
I'm eighty-four years old now. What years I have left I want them to be like I've been living the past thirteen years. I don't want do degrade the years I have left.
I understand others would make a different choice and I don't disagree with them. I don't tell them what choice to make and please, don't anyone tell me what choice to make. This is a very personal decision. I live my own life.
If my prostate cancer returns and I receive a terminal illness date, then I'll make plans to take myself out (assisted suicide which is now legal in Delaware).
I've had a fantastic life. I've lived my life on my on terms. I don't intend to end my life dependent on others to keep me "hanging on" just because out culture has been told to stay alive at all costs, even is you're bed ridden your remaining days having zero quality of life. I've seen too many people die that way, including my Bill. He wanted to kill himself because he was in such discomfort and no hope of getting better. His last three days of life at the hospice center will haunt me all the remaining days of my life.
I DO NOT WANT TO LEAVE THIS LIFE THAT WAY.
I WILL NOT LEAVE MY LIFE THIS WAY IF I CAN HELP IT.
Now, this is all I'm going to say about this subject until I get my PET-SCAN this June.
I am very relieved that I have made my decision.
I am comfortable with my decision.
Now to resume living the best days of my life.
We all have to go sometime. The only difference with me is that I have an idea of how and when I am leaving this earthly existence. One thing I can say, it's been quite a ride!
8 comments:
Ron, sounds like your decision is the one where you'll least be wondering if it was the 'right' decision. It's a horrible position to be in but I' m sure it will minimise any regrets you MAY have in the time left. Best wishes, as always.
Ray,
I know this is the right decision for me. Already, my old age ailments have already reduced my lifestyle. At 84 years old, I am old enough to probably outlive my prostate cancer. If I don't, then that's the way I will die. We all will die someday, I don't want whatever years I have left trying to gain a few more months of living undergoing treatments causing side effects that greatly reduce the quality of my life. Not doing it. My life. My choice.
Ron
Absolutely right, Ron. Ideally, it's a choice ALL of us should have - a choice that's ours alone, beyond any coercion from others - though that's where the potentional problem arises. In your case, without trying to be flippant, you are 'lucky' enough to be able to claim it as your very own personal decision - and, if I may say, that's a positive!
Ray,
Mark this time. I figure I have one good year left, maybe two. I am relieved however knowing now what my future will be. We all have to go eventually, my situation is that I have a pretty good idea of when I depart. I'll try to get my "things" in order as much as possible but I'm not going to worry about it. For right now I'm just going to live each day the best I can.
Ron
Hello, Ron,
I support your decision. I have always believed that a patient’s right to direct their own care is a matter between them and their physician. I was speaking with someone the other day, and we found ourselves discussing quality of life versus quantity of life. As we get older, that balance becomes what this is really all about.
Having worked in urology for six years, I have seen many older patients choose this path. My mind often goes back to one elderly gentleman who came in once a month for his Lupron injection to keep his prostate cancer at bay. He was fragile, but determined to live life on his own terms.
I remember when we transitioned him from Lupron to another medication that was injected into the abdomen. It required a long needle, numbing the area, and a more involved preparation. He was used to coming in, dropping his drawers, and being on his way. When I explained the new procedure, he looked at me and said he just wanted the injection—no prep. I warned him it might be painful. He said, “Do it.” Being elderly, he was accustomed to being poked and prodded. I’m sure more current medications are being used today, but the point remains: he wanted to live on his terms. He didn’t want all the fuss. I can’t remember what ultimately happened to him, but I’ve never forgotten his resolve.
Please keep me up to date along the way, and please continue to live your life as you see fit.
All the best,
Victor
Vic,
Again, you have been very helpful to me. I wouldn't go through what your elderly patient went through. Just not worth it to me but I understand that was his decision and he has every right to his decision. It's just not something I would do. As I have said many times before I have had a long wonderful life. Sure, I would like more years but as my body continues to deteriorate I don't see the value for me to continue to live the rest of my life in that frail condition, having treatments to keep my prostate cancer at bay. Especially now when Delaware has a right to die law that is in effect. I'm saying the obvious here but dying is just part of living. It's the end game, last chapter, final act. I'm ready for that transition. Maybe I'll have a hand in it myself or maybe something else will take me out. But I'm not going to prolong my life at this age should I have a terminal illness. Thanks again for sharing your experience with me.
Ron
Mr. Tipton: As Dr. Spo has often said: "Ron, you will outlive us all".
I don't want to die of old age ailments either. I'm pretty old now. It's all "gravy time" for me now.
Ron\
Post a Comment