Sunday, December 21, 2025

Remembering Bill This Christmas

DEATH IS NOTHING AT ALL



December 14, 2021



Death is nothing at all.

It does not count.

I have only slipped away into the next room.

Nothing has happened.


Everything remains exactly as it was.

I am I, and you are you,

And the old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched,

     Unchanged.

Whatever we were to each other, that we still are.


Call me by the old familiar name.

Speak of me in the easy way which you always used.

Put no difference into your tone.

Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.


Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together.

Play, smile,, think of me, pray for me.

Let my name be ever the household word that it always was.

Let it be spoken without an effort, without the ghost of a shadow upon it.


Life means all that it ever meant.

It is the same as it ever was.

There is absolute and unbroken continuity.

What is this death but a negligible accident?


Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?

I am but waiting for you, for an interval,

somewhere very near, 

Just round the corner


All is well.


4 comments:

Boud said...

I think he's not really gone. He's a continual presence in your life. You got this!

Ron said...

Boud,
You are absolutely right! My stay on earth is but only temporary even though I've been here the past eighty-four years. My real Home is where Bill is now. In the next ten to fifteen years at least I will rejoin him for eternity. This is absolutely believe.
Ron

Jardley said...

I would think back to this poem when my mother died this year.

Ron said...

Jardley,
I've read this poem before and it is perfect for dealing with the grief of losing a loved one. I absolutely believe that our loved ones, when they pass, go to their real home and are just awaiting for us to join them. I was thinking of my Mother the other day and how I will also one day be rejoined with her spirit. I look forward to that joyous reunion.
Ron

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...