A few days ago I received an envelope in my snail mail (remember "snail mail?") from my longtime friend and former school classmate.
We've known each other since first grade (that's 1947 for you young folk). In high school we were marching bandmates. He the bass drum and me the sousaphone (not tuba, that's a different instrument).
![]() |
| Me with my Sousaphone instrument after a football game 1958 at a home game at my high school in Downingtown, PA |
Even though we were classmates from the first grade through the ninth grade, we didn't become close friends until tenth grade when we were both marching band members. We would take turns saving a seat for each other on the band bus because we were always the last on the bus. Band members loaded their instruments in the bottom compartments on the band bus.
![]() |
| That's me on the left with my fellow Sousaphone players Dominic, Dick and Allen. Some of the bet times of my life folks! |
Since our instruments were the largest, we always loaded our instruments last. Those three years of marching band and the away games are some of my fondest memories of high school, especially since our high school was a winning team.
After high school we continued our friendship. He went to college, I went into the Army. We corresponded and when I came home on leave we sometimes got together. One year I even brought an Army buddy with me and we spent a weekend at his family's cottage on the Chesapeak Bay.
However, over the years we eventually drifted apart. Then we came together at our 35th class reunion. By this time he was married with two children. We became close friends again. And from that time on our friendship has continued.
I liked him for many reasons and in fact during our high school friendship I had the hots for him. Of course I never told him that. This was the Terrible Fifties, remember that. Class of 1959, we were the last class of the Fifties. Very repressive times. I, as a gay man, way illegal. However, at the reunion, I was no longer attracted. Maybe it was because he was fat and bald now or maybe my taste changed because my horizons broadened. But this is another avenue which I'm not going down now. What I did continue to like about him was his dry wit and sardonic sense of humor. We just clicked. Except for one thing, he's an evangelical. Yes, one of those who feel their mission is to save my soul.
As regular followers of my blog know, I was brought up in the Baptist Church. I went to Sunday school. I even have a certificate (which I still have) for perfect attendance when I was eight years old. I enjoyed church. But then came a time where I fell away from the Christian church. One of my favorite aunts took me with her to her church which was a Pentecostal church. I'm a naturally curious person so when the church pastor (preacher?) came time to deliver his sermon I was all ears. I noticed right away he wasn't smiling. He looked angry. Then he began his sermon, if you can call it that. By the time he was done he was literally foaming at his mouth (white foam around his lips), red faced and sweat beads on his forehead. The only thing I distinctly remember about his sermon was him saying "You're all sinners! You'll be a sinner all your life! You're die a sinner!" This then ten years old was in shock. I was stunned. Heretofore the church I went to was gentle and loving. I was taught all the Christian principals of "love thy enemy", "turn the other cheek", "help the poor", and all the other Christian principals that today's Trump loving evangelical "Christians" don't practice. The main takeaway I got was no hope for me. I knew I was different (gay) by the time I was ten years old. After hearing that hateful sermon I thought "What's the use?" This hateful, insecure God who needs constant praise (going to church to praise God), and who is ready to smite anyone who dares not praise him and "accept" his son (Jesus) as their savior is a sinner. I was born a sinner? Give me a break! I had nothing to do with it. From that moment on I fell away from the church. I stopped going to Sunday school. I was a sinner so what was the point?
Since then I've been to different churches, usually with friends. I've even been in a Catholic Church, Pat is Catholic and goes to church almost every Sunday. In fact Pat spent seven years in a seminary. My very good friend Don has for years taken care of his church in center city Philadelphia. My late brother John as a Bob Jones trained evangelical pastor in Greenville South Carolina. Even though I continued to feel the sense of comfort in those buildings with the lemon wood polish smell of the wooden pews, I knew I would never join that cult. I've even been to a Quaker service (for a deceased classmate of mine). My maternal ancestors were Pennsylvania Quakers. Ironically I felt most comfortable in the Quaker meeting house, stark as it was in ambiance (no polished wooden pews and stained glass windows). At a Quaker service no one is screaming at you "You're a sinner!!!!!" But I always knew in my heart that organized or "man-made religion was not for me. Especially as a gay man where I'm even considered the lowest of the low.
So what am I getting at here with this blog post? My longtime friend, my "Christian" friend, in his arrogance and hubris sends to me again (he's done it before) a booklet stating it's not too late to save my soul. He lied and said "Bill accepted Jesus Christ as his savior". That was a lie I know it because Bill and I often talked about how we both fell away from organized "man made" religion. This man made religion left both of us down. We both early on realized organized religion wasn't for us. I know that organized religion provides comfort for many and that's fine. I don't scream at them "You're wrong!" If that's what gives them comfort, wonderful. Go for it. But keep your religion to yourself. Don't try and "save" me. Mind your own business.
At one time I tried to discuss the inconsistencies of the evangelical argument. I asked my friend "What happens to the little old lady who lives alone in her house and has done good all her life? Does she go to Heaven when she dies?" My friend said "No, not unless she accepts Jesus Christ as her Savior." Uh, okay. Then I asked about the serial killer Ted Bundy who "accepted" Jesus Christ while he was laying on his prison gurner shortly before he was executed for his horrendous crimes. My friend said "Yes, as long as he accept Jesus Christ as his Savior." You know what I say to that? This is bullshit! I also asked him about the billion or more people in the world who practice different religions, "Would they be accepted in the Kingdom of Heaven?" He again said "No, not unless they accept Jesus Christ as their Savior". Yeah, right. This is a guy who voted for Trump....twice. Bullshit.
I have a pretty good idea of what will happen when I die. My soul, that energy force that has been dwelling in this body of mine for the past eighty-three years, will leave my human form and be one with the cosmos. I look up at the sky at night and I see all those stars. That's where I'll be, reunited with Bill. In fact Bill came by again last night to let me know he's still with me by way of that burned out Christmas light I've talked about before in previous blog posts. Yesterday, after I accidentally came across a video of Bill right after he retuned home from the rehab unit and I spent the next three years caring for him, I was in pretty bad shape feeling sorry for myself. I miss Bill so much that sometimes I don't want to go on alone. Pat provides comfort but Bill and I had a special relationship. Bill needed me and I needed Bill. Pat is fine by himself. He can take care of himself. Bill and I needed each other.
When I die, I will be reunited with Bill's soul. This I know and no pamphlet sent through the mail by a friend is going to change my mind. I know my friend thinks he is doing good by trying to "save" me but what he is really doing is what that long ago Pentecostal preacher did to me. He's yelling at me "You're a sinner and you're going to hell unless you spend the rest of your life praising this insecure God of mine or else he will damn you to Hell for eternity!"
What's the deal with his God anyway who needs all this praise all the time? Know where that comes from, feudal medieval England. The "lords" maintain control over the peasants by promise of a heavenly afterlife as long as they praised them thus the use of the world "The Lord" all the time in evangelical religion. See the parallel with Trump and his brain dead followers? Trump is "the Lord", chosen by God to "save" us. The Orange Jesus.
Man made religion is all a con job in my opinion. If that's your thing but don't put your crap on me.
Again, the arrogance and hubris, that's the problem with man made religion. And that goes for all the man-made religions including Islam. But you see how magnanimous I am? If your religious practices give you comfort, go for it. But leave me alone.
I'm a spiritualist. That's my belief. Don't pray for me. Pray for yourself.




7 comments:
I so enjoy your posts. You always speak from the heart. I do belive in God but I do not judge anyone. Keep believing what you want. You know the You and Bill will be together again and that is all that counts.
"We both early on realized organized religion wasn't for us. I know that organized religion provides comfort for many and that's fine. I don't scream at them "You're wrong!" If that's what gives them comfort, wonderful. Go for it. But keep your religion to yourself. Don't try and "save" me. Mind your own business." Well said.
I will not get into my winding journey of religion but I am no longer a believer. It's all rubbish. I was involved in the Pentecostal-Church of God/Assemblies of God sect.
I was actually thinking about my church days-late teens to about 26- a few days ago. I was lost in so many ways no one ever reached out to me and said what's up. I even had a guy who was in the military that I taught Sunday school with in a nursing home who was gay, in the military-TSgt- married, 3 kids, and getting a divorce to go his way and discover life as a gay man. NO ONE talked about it. And me being gay and closeted did not even bring it up in our many rides together. My older self would tell my younger self to say something. Hell, I was old enough that we could become roommates in San Francisco and discover things together. We lived in a suburb of Sacramento called Rancho Cordova. What could of been. Born in 1957 I am reflecting and my life has been a fucking mess.
But back to the opening quote from you. This is the problem with religion today and all the way to the beginning of time. It's has all been about religion and how one should believe and you if you don't we're going to force it on you. The bases for so many wars and divisions. I respect you beliefs no matter what they are. If they bring you solace and comfort good on you. BUT don't cross the line of proclaiming that I should believe like you and if you don't I am going to hell. That is not your place. We live in a diverse world and we should all try to respect and care for one another. That is what I like. I have been in contact with so many different people in my life time and I find those interactions a learning opportunity. I love finding out about them and what makes them tick. To me that is a part of life. I am not afraid of people who are different. But, once again, they have no right to rope be into their world view and if I don't go along I am less than. That alone will get me riled up and some words will be said. Stay in your lane.
Great post. I am going to find more about the differences between a tuba and sousaphone.
Stay cool.
ItsyBitsyLiving,
I too believe there is no judgment in the Afterlife. I believe our spirit (soul) is here to learn. There is no judgment. That again is all "man made" to keep the "flock" under their control. I also don't believe that only "Jesus" is The Way. Never made sense to me that only this One Way. But we're brought up (in the Christian faith) to believe in that judgmental God. All man-made interpretation for men to control other men. I do believe there is a greater power. I just don't call it "God." And I certainly don't subscribe to my friend's evangelical nonsense. I believe that anyone can believe what they want. I believe in freedom. Freedom of body and of mind. I don't want or need someone telling me The Way. I don't tell anybody else how to live their life and I certainly don't need them telling me how to live my live.
Thanks for your input ItsyBitsyLiving. I haven't heard from you for a while. I hope you're doing well.
Have a great day!
Ron
Vic,
"Stay in your lane", I like that quote. I'll use it in the future. I have come to the same conclusion as you. I would never force, judge, tell, or even suggest to anyone how to live their life or what religion they should practice. I am a believer in whatever gives you comfort, go that way. Even religion like Islam. I don't understand countries like France which ban the wearing of the burqa by Muslim women. Let them wear whatever they like, what's it to you along as it is not degrading someone else or public nudity. Organized religion has never helped me in anyway. Like you when I was a young boy, I needed guidance because I was often confused and afraid. All organized religion did was scare the hell out of me. The one exception was a brief period of time when a young man (perhaps in his late twenties) used to come by monthly and ask for volunteers (young boys like myself) to help him clean the church. Yes, literally clean the floors and polish the pews. There was never even a hint of sexual impropriety. Of course I didn't know about such a thing back then (before TV and the Internet) but looking back on it all I remember was he was attractive, kind, had a van and would pick up about five or six of us after school and we cleaned the church pews. Everything was all business. My turning point as I mentioned before was when I was in the midst of trying to figure out life I have this Pentecostal preacher literally screaming at me telling me what a bad person I was just for being born. That did it for me, questioning the church. I do believe there are a lot of good people who practice organize religion and take their orders from the church elders. They go to church every Sunday, get their ticket punched, so they have enough credits to go into Heaven. But when an evangelical is trying to tell me how to live my life and tells me that serial killer Ted Bundy will go to Heaven and not that little old lady who lives by herself down at the end of the block in that house that is slowly being swallowed by vegetation, all that did was confirm my belief in the inconsistencies of the organized Christian (Baptist) religion that I was raised in. I do believe in a Greater Power but I don't believe in the Jesus Way. That never made sense to me either. This "test" of the serpent in the Garden of Eden, tempting Eve to take a bite of the apple. Even as a six year old boy, DID NOT MAKE SENSE but I wanted to keep the church elders happy (we all want people to like us) so I kept my mouth closed. I no longer keep my mouth closed. At this age I care less about what people think of me and I care more about being true to myself. Again, that's why I think I'm living this life (of many). To learn.
Thanks Vic for your comments. Always interesting and thought provoking.
Have a great day!
Ron
For your information-----
https://youtu.be/kfiPMtt_5JI?feature=shared
Exactly. Thanks. Olivia
Olivia,
We're in agreement!
Ron
Post a Comment