Did your parents read you bedtime stories when you couldn't get to sleep when you were a child?
![]() |
| Me, on the right shielding my face from the sun with my hand and my two younger brothers on the side roof from our second floor apartment at 120 Washington Avenue, Downingtown, PA about 1947. |
Nah, mine didn't either.
We (my two younger brothers and I slept in the same bed until I was twelve years old) were more likely to get a beating with a belt from our father if we didn't calm down.
![]() |
| Me, still sleeping in the same bed at eleven years old with my two younger brothers one of whom is already in bed. Again, no bedtime stories this night in 1954 |
Think I'm exaggerating? Think again.
Not that we were overly abused, this was just the way many if not most kids grew up in the Forties and Fifties. We were all acquainted with The Belt if we misbehaved.
| Me siting on that same stoop sixty years later (2010). Funny how that stoop seemed so small now and the stairs leading to our second floor apartment so narrow. The place was still a dump. |
My brothers and I were born each a year apart. Sleeping in a clothes basket until we got too big then a bed, we were often rambunctious. "You kids keep quiet in there or I'm sending your father in with his belt to put you to sleep!" And believe me, we didn't want him paying us a visit with his belt.
He did come in, how many times I forget but it wasn't infrequent. We soon developed a way to avoid the worst (direct hits) of his belt. As he removed his belt from his pant loops we would be screaming in pain already even before he landed any hits. We would hold the covers slightly above our bodies and scream like he really landed some hits. Occasionally he did and man oh man that hurt! But mostly he missed after about a half a dozen whacks. Of course we were quiet after one of his visits. Looking back on it now, I think he realized he wasn't really landing any blows but his visits still had the desired effect, we were quiet the rest of the night and they could get to sleep. By the way, a few years later when I recounted these "whippings" to my Mother she told me, "You were lucky. Take a look at the scars on your father's back. They were from whippings he got from his father." Well, at least our whippings didn't leave scars. He did get a several good licks in though. My father had ten brothers (no sisters). I imagine all of them kept their father's belt pretty busy.
![]() |
| 120 Washington Avenue, Downingtown, PA (our apartment building the big building on the left) in 1954, the year we moved from there to Boot Road. |
Now, imagine if he or our mom took the tact to her restless sons and said "You boys still awake? Oh, I'll come in and read you a bedtime story." HA!
I bring this subject up because my dear friend Spo of Spo Reflections recently posted about his idyllic "Father Knows Best/Leave It To Beaver" childhood about coming across a book of fairy tales his mother used to read to him and his younger brothers.
![]() |
| My hillbilly father at twenty-one years old when he worked for Lukens Steel in Coatesville, PA |
Spo, your childhood was an exception, believe me!
I literally know of no one in my social circle of family, friends or co-workers who were lulled to sleep with either one of their parents reading them bedtime stories. Not a one! How about you Jon of "Lone Wolf Concerto"? Did your dad read you a bedtime story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears?
Have any of my readers of this blog have anyone (including aunts, uncles, cousins or grandparents?) send them off to Dreamland by reading to them the fable about the Three Pigs?
However, even though I didn't have the luxury of having an adult reading me a bedtime story of Cinderella, I did discover there was such a thing as a fairy tale. Probably at school around the third grade when I was ten years old and could read.
I got me a book of fairy tales and let me tell you folks, I read that book cover to cover......many times. I thoroughly enjoyed each story. Here is list of the stories that I can remember reading and savoring:
Little Red Riding Hood
Cinderella (I was intrigued by Prince Charming, of course!)
The Three Little Pigs
Hansel and Gretel
Goldilocks And The Three Bears
Jack and the Beanstalk
The Old Woman Who Lived In A Shoe
The last one, "The Old Woman Who Lived In a Shoe" was a fairy tale but I was intrigued because that image of that old beat up shoe and all those little kids pouring out of shoe reminded me of the low rent, cockroach infested apartment building we lived in when I was a kid up until I was twelve years old at 120 Washington Avenue in Downingtown, Pennsylvania from 1943 to 1954.
I don't know what happened to that book of fairy tales but I treasured it. I think this was the first time I was sent into another world other than the world of white trash chaos in which I grew up at Washington Avenue. Funny thing though, I don't feel like I was deprived by not living in a neighborhood of tree lined streets with verdant lawns and loving attentive parents who had time to read me and my brothers bedtime stories. I was already in our life of harsh reality and didn't know there was that other world until we got a TV and I saw "Father Knows Best" with a mom who always had a pearl necklace with her crisp shirt waist dress, greeting "Jim" when he came home with his briefcase with a hug and a kiss before dinner. "Jim" (the actor Robert Young), would have dinner in his suit. Did any of you reading this blog have dinner with your dad who wore his suit to dinner? Yeah, right! My father always had dirty, greasy, white wife beater T-shirt. Not even a shirt. That's the way it was folks. Again, we, my brothers and I didn't know the difference because that's just the way it was. This is why I always smile to myself when I read or see someone who had a different childhood. I did have two friends who had parents like that though. My longtime friend (to this day) Bill B. His mother was literally Mrs. Anderson. She had the necklace and shirt waist dress and her house was always immaculate. His father did wear a suit. But then he had a professional job as did my other longtime school mate fried (to this day, we do weekly Zoom calls). His father was a pharmacist. Both families lived in real houses. They could afford it. We couldn't as probably everyone on Washington Avenue. They lived in the high class section of Downingtown, one street over (could well have been a different world), on Lincoln Avenue. Every time I visited I felt like I wasn't even good enough to step across the threshold into their houses. But that's a subject for another blog posting. You know how I ramble on sometimes in these blog posts.
So no, I didn't have bedtime stories of fairy tales read to me but I'm no worse off because of it.
![]() |
| Me with my Mother and father August 1972. Everything turned out all right. |



















No comments:
Post a Comment