![]() |
| Me at Arnell Creek, Rehoboth Bay canal, 2005, the first year I started to blog |
Twenty years ago I started blogging.
There are several reasons I blog, but mainly I like to write and interact with the world outside my geographical circle.
When I was a teenager I used to have pen pals. At one time I had over sixty pen pals. I enjoyed writing letters and I enjoyed receiving letters.
Along the way during my blogging an my pen pals days there were those times my innocent enjoyment was pissed on (occasionally). At those times I thought "What is wrong with those people?" These were occasions where those people, with their superior attitude felt the need to denigrate me. Again, why does it bother these people what I do?
I'll always remember my great aunt Grace (my Mother's aunt) who said "Why does Ronnie have pen pals? Doesn't he have any friends?" She said that to my Mother in my thirteen year old presence. I've never forgotten that insult and that she, in all her superiority, was so classless to say that insult to me in my presence.
During my twenty years of blogging I've had my share of trolls who felt the need to insult me on a regular basis my leaving nasty and hurtful comments on my blog. I delete them. Eventually they go away when they see their insulting comments aren't being published on my blog.
The past several years the trolls haven't left comments on my blog but one just came back. I was caught off guard this time and I accidentally published their comments until I realized they were probably trying to sell me on a reverse mortgage. I didn't realize they were trying to sell me on a reverse mortgage until they just left me a nasty and insulting comment on my blog posting saying I was "cutting my nose off to spite my face" by not getting a reverse mortgage and then took the time to explain how a reverse mortgage works. Okay "Roderick" (or whoever you are), no need to explain to me how a reverse mortgage works. I KNOW HOW A REVERSE MORTGAGE WORKS! I also know that the person who sells me a reverse mortgage gets a BIG COMMISSION UP FRONT on a reverse mortgage.
I deleted that conversation "Roderick." Don't leave any more comments on my blog. I will also delete them. You don't leave insulting comments on my blog and expect me to publish them. Mind your own business.
Now I don't know for sure if this "Roderick" was using some clever ruse to sell me a reverse mortgage. Hey, maybe "Roderick" is Tom Selleck. Even if he is Tom Selleck I would never in a million years turn over the ownership of my house which I worked so long for to own to some salesman to have a big commission payday. Some years ago I actually had inquired into a reverse mortgage and the salesman was here at our house. Oh he was a slick one for sure. I was burned once back when I was twenty-one years old to buy a life insurance policy that I didn't need or afford. Promises were made that were not true. I was also burned another time by a stock broker to buy "guaranteed" 6% REIT (Real Estate Insurance Trusts). Yes, you know how that "guaranteed rate" worked out. Dean Witter was sued by the state of Pennsylvania for fraud on that one. I was invited to testify before Congress as one of the victims for false advertising. To "Roderick", who so thoughtfully sent me the details of a reverse mortgage, you left out how much commission the salesman (you?) gets on a reverse mortgage.
I don't like to write negative blog posts like this but occasionally I do to remind some of my blog followers that my blog isn't an opportunity for them to sell me something or to provide a forum for your hate.
If readers of my blog don't like what I have to say in my blog, then move on. But if you feel the need to insult me or denigrate me, just move on. I will delete your comments.
To others, who have been reading my blog for the last twenty years and find some pleasure in reading it, I apologize for this negative posting. But at this time of my life, I have run out of patience with those who have no respect for me and feel the need to leave negative comments on my postings. I'm not having it.

13 comments:
I used to have blog trolls long ago, but lately (ever since I was sick) I have no problems at all. Much like you, I used to have pen pals - - when I was young, long before the Internet. I was fascinated to hear from people in other parts of the world.
During my long journey through life, I've learned that people can be vicious, condescending, and ruthless with criticism (my father was like that). I've learned to ignore it. There are a lot of good people (like yourself) and I treasure yhem.
Sorry for any typos. I'm writing on my cell phone - - which is annoying.
I support your response to your trolls.
It is okay if they disagree and state their piece. That's the point of a blog: to have alternate viewpoints. One may disagree, but it makes things interesting. Who knows, one may learn something.
BUT I draw the line at degrading, harassing, and name-calling the INDIVIDUAL whose blog it is!! And let's not forget fellow responders.
For example, I follow a blog called Joe My God, and trust me things can get nasty. I would say downright vile. Folks cross the line and attack the PERSON.
At the other end of the spectrum, I follow a few blogs that one can't post anything until it has been reviewed. And if it is negative or different from the Hallmark Channel perspective it will not be posted. Greg In Hollywood I am looking at you. And Kenneth 212. I say post different viewpoints. But of course, draw the line at personal attacks. Why allow others to post if one is limiting "free speech." Their blog is their choice but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Just do your job and review posts push aside those with personal attacks and let others express their thoughts/opinions of what you've posted. Those that support your viewpoint or different
What gets me about the guy with the reverse mortgage sales pitch is that they may have forgotten that you worked in banking. I am sure you know all the ins and outs of reverse mortgages.
Have a great Sunday.
Ignore the idiots. I enjoy reading your blog. You are appreciated.
Please Keep Writing.
Hello Ron, I've been enjoying your blog ever since I found it about ten years ago, but never left a comment before. (And probably won't again -- but I will be reading!) It's YOUR blog -- you get to set the rules. I, too, had penpals in my youth -- one in Australia and one in Nigeria. It was thrilling when the mailman would bring a letter to 11-year-old me that had travelled across the seas. I just wanted to say "Hi" after all this time of reading your blog. I hope you and Pat have a grand time in Palm Springs!!
Thanks for your words of encouragement. Like you I have also learned through my long journey in life how people can be all the things you said. My father was also like that, only criticism and mockery of me. Never any kind words. He was incapable of being kind. But he loved my Mother, I give him that. We kids were, at best, an annoyance to him. I agree with you though that there are a lot of good people in the world. That's what keeps me going.
Ron
Vic,
Yes, I do know about all the ins and outs of reverse mortgages. They work fine for some people. It's an option. I have one friend, who has since passed, who needed a reverse mortgage to survive. The reverse mortgage worked for him because he had a family who refused to recognize that he was gay. This guy lived with his partner who was his caretaker. His family (including is daughter and two sons) didn't help at all. But of course when he died they were right there to collect any assets he had, including a house. I don't know how much was left when he died but I do know that he spent a lot of the equity for him and his partner who took care of him during his declining years. I read his obituary and no where did the obituary even mention he had a partner for many years and of course didn't mention anything about his partner caring for him. In that case the reverse mortgage worked for him because why would he leave any money (equity in his house) to his family who refused to even recognize him? And of course reverse mortgages work for others. Another straight friend of mine just couldn't afford his bills. Again, the reverse mortgage, minus the sales guy's commissions for selling him the reverse mortgage, worked for him. For me, it's not an option. So some know it all (probably a reverse mortgage salesman) suggests I get a reverse mortgage and then when I say I wouldn't get a reverse mortgage, sarcastically suggest the I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face. Pissed me off, a condescending remark like that.
Ron
Anonymous,
Thank you!
Ron
Patty (from NYC),
I don't solicit comments, not that there is anything the matter with that (to quote "Seinfeld") but I love getting comments like yours! I too was thrilled to receive pen pal letters form across the country and some from around the world (Japan and Germany) when I was a 12 year old kid. I still have those letters. To me, blogging is just an updated version of my preteen pen pal day in many ways.
Thanks you for reading my blog and thank you for your well wishes for my Palm Springs trip that will take place in two short weeks. Pat and I always have a good time together. Just this morning, during one of our daily FaceTime calls, we were going over menu options from one of our favorite vegan restaurants in Palm Springs. Prices have gone up, way up! But we're going to splurge since this will probably be our last visit to Palm Springs, unless we win the lottery. And no, I'm not taking out a reverse mortgage (smile) to fund any future trips.
Have a great day!
Ron
Always use the delete key, as needed, to get rid of the trolls. Enjoy Palm Springs, I sometimes wonder how many more trips we have I us. My grandmother tried to teach me, if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything.
Ron, I’ve enjoyed reading your blog for about ten years and semi-frequently commenting. I loved having pen pals too. I would guess you hand-wrote your letters, had good penmanship, and could read cursive. All that hand-writing makes for better thinking, something kids aren’t doing enough of. Please keep up your good work, I hope and pray. You are an important person.
Travel (David),
I used the Delete key. I don't need that kind of disrespect on my blog and I'm not having it. I open to advice but not disrespect.
Ron
Ivy,
Oh yes, all my pen pal letters were handwritten, cursive style. I write in my journal too cursive. Back in the 70's I used to keep a journal for about eight years. I stopped when someone who I was helping tore into my journal then and tore out pages. I resumed journaling in April of 2007 and have been journaling ever since. Like my blog, I basically journal for myself. You're write, when you handwrite your thoughts out it causes one to think more. However, typing in my blog, like I am now, also makes me think, albeit in a faster manner. Lately I've been thinking about starting my own You Tube video blog which I think is called vlogging.
Ron
Post a Comment