Tuesday, July 02, 2024

Ron Gets A Ride


My neighbors are coming through!

I still am not permitted to drive because of my passing out incident in the Rehoboth Beach Walmart parking lot Last June 16th. 

This morning I returned to the scene of my embarrassment, the Rehoboth Walmart. This time I did not pass out in the parking lot (oh the embarrassment). 

My neighbor Shannon generously drove me for some of my errands this morning. First to Walmart where I had to stock up on their fabulous bran cereal which not only has 100% of the most the my daily vitamin needs but is fabulously priced ($2.48 a box). 




Of course that cereal was on the bottom shelf, half way in the back. I had to get on my knees to reach the cereal boxes. I wanted all they had which was ten boxes. Then I couldn't get up from the floor! Oh no! What would happen if I couldn't get up? Would some kindly stranger call the EMT's to get this old man up from the polished Walmart concrete floor? Finally, I was able to struggle up and gain my footing. I tossed my ten boxes of bran cereal in my shopping cart and made a bee line for the nearest cashier. Oh the embarrassment, this old man struggling with what was in the past just normal shopping. 

I paid for my goodies then exited the store, cognizant that I DID NOT WANT TO PASS OUT IN THE WALMART PARKING LOT AGAIN, looking for Shannon. Of course I forgot where she parked but she leaned out her driver's door and waved to me to get my attention.

My next stop was Weiss Markets in Lewes, just up Route One. I was puzzled by the heavy traffic until Shannon pointed out to me this was Fourth of July folks pouring into Rehoboth for the holiday. Oh yes! 

I completed my shopping at Weiss Markets (a ten pound bag of Russet baking potatoes, I eat a lot of potatoes - potato salad and mashed potatoes) and Progresso Soup. I also made a stop at my local County Bank branch to get some cash for Jose who is now mowing my lawn weekly. Jose prefers cash. 

The heavy heat and humidity was gone today, replaced by typical old time summer days of sun and tolerable humidity. Reminds me of my summer days when I was a kid. Oh how I loved summers during the Fifties in Downingtown, Pennsylvania. 

Last week my other neighbor Bob took me to my doctor's appointment and also to my other supermarket. I am so fortunate to have such neighbors, the best I've ever had in my life. I watch their pets when they're gone. I like watching their pets. Shannon has a female golden retriever and a gray male cat. Bob has a Australian cattle dog poodle mix named Cleopatra. I have the benefit of enjoying these animals but I don't have to care for them full-time. The best of both worlds don't you think?

Today was a good day. Took my mine off of, if just for a little while, that tomorrow would have been me and Bill's Sixtieth Anniversary. Yes, I still miss him terribly but I am managing my new life. 



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m glad you’ve got someone to take you to get the things you need. I hope you are allowed to drive again soon. I thought you enjoyed mowing your yard, why is Jose doing it now? I want to hear your comments about how the supreme court has now crowned King Trump.
Jim

Elle Clancy said...

I'm sure this anniversary is hard. I think the "first" everything always is; anniversaries, birthdays, etc.

Your neighbors sound lovely. My kids have moved away; no other family here, so my friends/neighbors mean the world to me also. So different from when I was a kid; my parents' house in Yardley is where everyone came for family parties and picnics and holidays. Things just change; everybody moves around more now.

Look, I've made myself melancholy!

Although the news in Washington would make anyone sad at the moment. Trump is a monster, and now more so. I just cannot believe the state we are in.

Ron said...

Jim,
I do like mowing my back yard. However, I can't mow it in the extreme heat. Also, I can't keep up with the trimming. I'm thinking maybe I'll have a hybrid situation with Jose. Maybe I'll just have him mow my property during the hot summer months and I can take over again in September, the cooler months. I can't really afford to have Jose mow my yard all the time either even though he offers a very attractive low price.
Oh I have plenty to say about our corrupt Supreme Court dominated by six extremist conservative judges. It is a travesty that they put The Criminal Trump above the law. Ridiculous!

Ron

Ron said...

Elle,
My neighbors are so wonderful. I am so lucky to have them as my very next door neighbors on either side of my house. I am sick to my stomach that the now corrupt MAGA dominated Supreme Court has put Trump above the law. This is going to backfire on them. Trump will never be elected president now. Now we have to convince Joe Biden to step down and have someone else younger take his place as the Democratic candidate for president. Camilla Harris wouldn't be my first choice but that seems the path forward for the Democrats to defeat Trump. The courts aren't going to rein in Trump, the voters have to put him away.....forever.
Ron

VRCooper said...

Glad the neighbors are chippping in to help the old man...Ten boxes of cereal...You bending down to the bottom shelf reminds me of marketing in grocery stores...Companies pay for product placement on store shelves...The sweet spot is eye level...I would say you're stocked up until Labour Day...It sucks getting older...Hell, this morning I got up and did my stretching-that I do three times a week-alongside my 6 days a week at the gym-and I pulled something in my back...What the hell...Not enough to sideline me but a kink...May you look back and remember the good times with Bill and it brings a smile to your face and joy in your heart...Thinking "WHAT A GOOD RIDE WE HAVE HAD!!" ... Happy 4th ...

Karen said...

First off, happy anniversary. May your memories bring you comfort! Second of all you probably know this, but most grocery stores and Walmart shop for you and you can pick up the order, or they will bring it to your house! There’s an app called Instacart. We might use it if you get stuck without a ride. My cousin lives just off of Route one, right before the bridge over the canal. I travel to their last Thursday to have lunch with him. The route one traffic is Absolutely nuts. I don’t know how you live there. Happy July 4 to you!

Ron said...

Vic,
Today would have been me and Bill's 60th anniversary. We had many good years together. I was indeed very fortunate to have been with Bill all those years.
I think the reason my Walmart store bran cereal was on the bottom shelf because it's not a big profit maker but it is good.
Ron

Ron said...

Karen,
Sometimes I wonder how I live here right off of Route One. Eat year the traffic gets heavier and heavier. Right now, the Fourth of July holiday it is backed up most of the day. I just don't go out even when I can drive.
I've heard of Insacart. I'll check into that option in case my driving privileges are not returned soon. I can' keep intruding on my neighbor's lives to cart me around for my errands. Hopefully I can get my driving privileges back.
Ron

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...