Sunday, July 14, 2024

Imagine Pat And I Sixty-Five Years Ago

 

Yours truly, 1958 East Brandywine Township, Downingtown, PA

Sixty-five years ago I was a skinny, shy, low self esteem kid of seventeen years of age. This picture was taken in the front yard of the house our family had moved into in 1958. 

Up until that time my family had always lived in apartments. For the first time in my life I could stand on land and not worry about someone yelling "Hey kid! Get out of here!" Yes, that's what my childhood was like, almost always in the wrong place at the wrong time. Is it no wonder that I value my almost once acre of paradise that I live on now in coastal Delaware.

At the same time I was enjoying my new found freedom of actually putting my own two feet on family owned ground, my now fiancé Pat was living in Toronto, attending school as a ten year old freckled red head. Who would have ever guessed that lo these many years later we would be planning on getting married and living the rest of our lives together. 


Pat about ten years old

Pat about 14 years old

Pat about 17 years old, same age as me as my photo at the beginning of this post


I know it's late in our lives for us to get together but I feel so fortunate that I have Pat in my life. And to know that we will spend the rest of our lives together makes me so happy. 

Ron ten years old 1951

Ron 12 years old 1953


Ron 15 years old 1956


I may be in failing health and not as pretty as I used to be but we have each other and for that I will always be eternally grateful. 

Even though I met Pat late in my life, I've had a wonderful life with Bill. Shortly before Bill died, he gave me his blessing to have a wonderful life with Pat. I'm not religious but I do believe something or Someone had a hand in providing such a happy life for me. 




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you can work things out so you can spend the rest of your lives together.
Jim

Ron said...

Jim,
That's the plan. I consider myself one of the luckiest guys on this planet.
Ron

wcs said...

Married! Wow! Congratulations, guys! :)

VRCooper said...

Wait, wait, wait!!

Fiancé!!

Did I miss something?

You are both too far down the road for him to make an honest man out of you.

Who proposed to who?

Pat was a good-looking kid. I love the pictures. The first, at 10 years old, Pat looks like a cousin to Dennis The Menace. With that smile/smirk you know he was up to something. The last two I am beginning to see Pat of today. What was Pat's profession? You may have written about it but I don't remember.

Now this picture of you I have seen before. My first impression is what a sweet young man that is. I could tell even then you had a nice heart. Still do but we all know we better not cross you. :) You will read us for filth. :)

I do wish you and Pat nothing but the best.

I know you will fill us in on the details later or as they become available.

Mazel Tov!!

Ron said...

Jim,
Thank you for your well wishes. My dream come true, to spend the rest of my life with Pat. We're a perfect match.
Ron

Ron said...

Walt,
Thank you for your good wishes. I'm very lucky to have Pat. I look forward to spending the rest of my life with him.
Ron

Ron said...

Vic,
What? You didn't know I was in love in Pat? I was a few minutes after I met him in the Hotel Blue parking lot Friday night August 16th, 2013. I knew he was The One. Only thing I was already married and I never had an intention of leaving Bill.
Who proposed? I did of course and Pat accepted or at least I think he did. I'm assuming he did! We're making plans of getting married. Out first plant was to o to Las Vegas and have an Elvis impersonator marry us but we'll just probably have a simple ceremony in Georgetown, the county seat of Sussex County. Pat will eventually move down here in Slower Lower Delaware. First things first though, we have to get an approval from our respective government to get married. then we work on Pat's dual citizenship.
I am a very lucky man to have met Pat and now to spend the rest of my life with this wonderful man.
Ron

Ivy Green said...

It is wonderful news, Ron & Pat. Best wishes to you both.

Maybe you should move to Canada, Ron? I was ready to move there myself after visiting last summer. It may be safer there if the unthinkable happens and we lose our democracy.

VRCooper said...

Ron I always knew Pat was the cat's meow with you---I just never read that you referred to him as your fiancé---I am not new here : ) ---I am glad that you have found each other---It really helps in this game of life---You know all your readers what you to be happy and off the streets---More for us---Best---VRC

Ron said...

Vic,
I knew Pat was The One ten minutes after I met him at the hotel parking lot in Lewes on August 16, 201. He was who I was looking for all my life. Ironically, the month before (July 13th,) I formally married Bill Kelly, my partner for the previous forty-nine years. There was no way I was going to leave Bill. Pat understood that and he never in any way suggested or put any pressure on me to leave Bill. I loved Bill and would always stay with him until one of our lives ended. Bill has passed on and now it was time for Pat and I to get married and live together the rest of our lives. And also to get him his U.S. citizenship. That will take three years. I hope we both live that long. Even if that doesn't happen, I am a very lucky man to have Pat in my life.
Ron

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...