Friday, May 24, 2024

Memorial Day 2024 Musings

 Here comes the summer onslaught!

Memorial Day is the official start of the summer season here in the Rehoboth Beach area of Lower Slower Delaware.

I noticed the increase in traffic yesterday when I tried to exit the development I live in which is on the east side of Route One also known as Coastal Highway.

Here we go. I now have to adjust my outings to avoid exiting my development on the weekends for the summer. Last night just before sundown I made a quick grocery run to Food Lion up in Milton to get a back of potatoes. 

I was out of baking potatoes.

Baking potatoes are a staple of my diet these days. I make potato salad which I have every day for lunch. 

I also needed potatoes to make beef stew. 

I probably go through a five pound bag of potatoes in a week. 

Yesterday at five o'clock I had a Zoom call with my friend Glenn of California and Renee of Pennsylvania. Renee recently lost her husband. Glenn  had lost his partner of thirty-five years three years ago. This call was a "therapy" call. Renee is still going through the worst of the grieving process. Glenn is pretty well past his grieving for his loss. I'm getting there. I'm a lot better now that I was last month. I'm actually beginning to see a future for myself with Bill in my life. 

What we talked about on yesterday's Zoom call was the Meaning of Life. Yes, we have the answer. I'll go into that in a future blog post. But suffice it to say we're all in agreement. We're here to learn and love. That makes sense. 

I woke up this morning to thunder showers. Bad news for the hordes coming down to the beach for Memorial Day weekend. Not a problem for me, my lawn can use the rain. A good thing about not working at a job now is that I don't have to go anywhere. When I worked at the hotel so often I had to drive to work in the pounding rain. I never have to do that again. I can just stay here at home, Casa Tipton-Kelly. 

Only a couple of weeks now until Glenn and Pat make the trek from their respective homes in California and Canada to spend a week with me here in the midst of the Summer Season. Yes, we will dive into the crowds on the boardwalk in Rehoboth Beach. Looking forward to their visit. Nice to have other people in the house again. 

9 comments:

anonymous said...

That's great you're getting company for a week, Ron. Have a wonderful time. The days are heating up, at least here in NE Ohio. As the long as the humidity stays low, I'm OK. That's dicey here, though. How is your fishpond doing? I'm glad to hear you're moving along in the grief process. I'm sure some days are better than others, but life does move on, and time does help heal.
Paranormal John

Ron said...

Paranormal John,
I am slowly adjusting to my new routine without Bill. One thing that's really going to help is when Glenn and Pat visit next month. I just came in from the outside and the humidity is high now. It's a killer for me. I'm lightheaded right now from the humidity.
My fishpond is doing great. One of the best additions I have ever put into Casa Tipton-Kelly. It is a perfect addition to the rear corner of our almost one acre lot. And the fish are happy! As well as the resident front and dragonfly which I think Bill has something to do with. There is only one dragonfly right now and it's an adolescent one. Hopefully more with join him/her soon.
Ron

Anonymous said...

Hi Ron, it’s Margaret from Rehoboth. Is there a way I can privately message you? It has to do with parking in downtown Rehoboth Beach. Thanks…

Ron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ron said...

Hi Margaret,
Yes, you can private message me by my phone number which is 484-888-1177.
Ron

VRCooper said...

Hello Ron,

Trust you are doing well this Memorial Day. My heart goes out to all who died and were injured for this country.

You know me, I love a good Google search. I searched condominiums in the Star of The Sea building pictured in your header. Small spaces of 475 square feet for about $600,000-

https://www.redfin.com/DE/Rehoboth-Beach/307-S-Boardwalk-19971/unit-310/home/134711633

I don't know if I could live with the volume of tourists milling about. They would get in my way. Now a summer rental for tourists might be a solution. In my condo building, you can't do an Air B & B type thing. There is a minimum of how many days one could rent their unit. Let's say it is more than a couple of weeks. I wanted to sell a while back I had a potential buyer who wanted to buy the place and rent it to his child and down the road for other students. We had to look into the requirements. It was doable but no deal. There was an investor who was willing to buy but wanted a $25,000 discount. Hell no! We already did two price reductions, willing to pay HOA for the rest of the year, AND the special assessment. Greedy bastard.

Your guests are coming this week or next if I remember correctly. Enjoy your time.

Be well!!

Victor

Ron said...

Victor,
Very interesting, checking out the Star of The Sea condo small spaces. It is small isn't it? Also rather worn and I didn't see a bedroom, did you? And all for $600,000. No thank you. I'm very familiar with this building, I've walked by it many times when I've walked on the boardwalk in Rehoboth Beach. It's the tallest building in Rehoboth Beach and on the boardwalk. Ocean City Maryland, twenty-five miles down the road, has much taller buildings right on the beach. I don't know right off hand how much they go for but probably closer to a million dollars. It's all about location, location, location. I would much rather live where I do now, two miles "from the water" than right on the beach especially in one of those worn out small spaces at the Star of the Sea.
I don't blame you for absolutely refusing to give a $25,000 discount on selling your condo. I would too. Especially since you were willing to pay the HOA for the rest of the year. Oh tell me about the greedy buyers that there. Both Pat and I got caught up on the victimization end of their greed. That will never happen to me again. When I leave Casa Tipton-Kelly it will be the way Bill left it, on a gurney. I'm not selling. Period.
Thanks for sending the link Victor. Have a great day!
Ron

VRCooper said...

Ron---

Yes---the units are small and they are for all really what we would call studio units--I reviewed a couple and one was pretty well appointed---

Yes---The greedy bastard who wanted a $25,000 dollar reduction. As stated I was going to pay the HOA for the remainder of the year-as did the seller of my unit--- special assesment---as did the seller of my unit---AND I did two price reductions---

Best---Victor



Breenlantern said...

I do not envy you living in a Tourist area, but I'm happy you have such a beautiful home and yard to enjoy while you're sequestered from the traffic :-)

Sassybear
https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...