Friday, July 21, 2023

Tony Bennett - Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words)


Tony Bennett died yesterday at age 96 years. What a wonderful, long and productive life he lead.

"Fly Me To The Moon" is my favorite Tony Bennett song. It is perfection. Every time I hear him sing this song, I choke up and tears come to my eyes.

I first remember hearing Tony Bennett in 1957. This was during the height of the rock 'n roll era. I was waiting for the next Elvis Presley song and here comes Tony with "Just In Time." What? This was a classic crooner song intruding on my rock 'n roll immersion. But I liked it! I never was a fan of the Bing Crosby type of crooning but Tony Bennett? Perfection! Such diction, clarity and sincerity! 

Some singers just sing songs. Robert Goulet and John Davidson come immediately to my mind. I always thought Bing Crosby was vastly overrated. What an awful man in his private life! I never got that feeling with Tony Bennett. Every time I saw him he had this big sincere smile on his face. Not a plastered fake smile or ever a scowl many of our so called heart throbs like Brad Pitt and others of his ilk. Those actors and singers who act like they're doing you a favor by performing for us. Not Tony Bennett, you could tell he thoroughly enjoyed through his performances giving pleasure to his audiences. 

I sort of "met" Tony once. It was during the Sixties when I work at Girard Bank in center city Philadelphia. Girard Bank was located at Broad and Chestnut Streets, next to Philadelphia City Hall. A block up Broad Street was the Bellevue Strafford Hotel. Apparently Tony was staying at the Bellevue. I was out on the street going to lunch. I passed Tony as he was rounding the corner from Broad Street to Chestnut Street. I recognized him immediately with his thousand watt smile and (obvious) hairpiece. We made eye contact and he nodded to me. I wanted to stop him and tell him how much I admired him and his songs but I didn't want to bother him. He was by himself and obviously enjoying his walk that sunny summer afternoon. Interesting, during that same week I also passed the actor Tony Perkins. That encounter was much different. Tony too was by himself but scowling and not enjoying his walk. Her persona in real life was much like his persona in his films, or at least that was my impression at that time. Of course I didn't dare stop him and tell him how much he scared the bejesus out of me in his film "Psycho".  Not for me that scowl, I much preferred the sunny disposition of Tony Bennett.

Rest in peace Tony and God bless you for sharing your gift with us for all these years.




5 comments:

VRCooper said...

What a life!!

Tony was a great "standards", jazz singer.

Hats off to his children for being involved in Tony's career in one way or another and keeping him relevant with the times and moving him forward. What a great support group.

A life well lived for sure.

PS-Never understood men who are so insecure about their hair. Each to his own. I started going bald when I was in my 20's. I remember Elton J. talking about his hairpieces. He said he knew everyone knows he wears one and to him, he is not complete unless he picks one out each day as he does his socks and underwear. There is a gay comedian Matteo Lane that has incorporated in his act the process of getting hair plugs. And even has a comedy special on YouTube called Hairplugs and Heartache.

Here is an article about Tony's children:

https://people.com/parents/all-about-tony-bennett-kids/





VRCooper said...

PS--Just got back from the gym and getting lunch.

I was on the treadmill listening to the news of Tony's passing.

I learned that Peal Bailey-I remember her-Such a warm soul-gave Tony his big break. She wanted him to accompany her in a review. Also, Tony was demoted in the US Army during WWII because he sat with a Black person in the mess hall.

News you can use!!

anonymous said...

Many years ago, I saw a double bill....Tony Bennett and Peggy Lee. Now, that was a show! I can't remember if they joined forces in the show or just did their separate shows. I believe Tony was also an artist. A life well lived, indeed.
Paranormal John

Ron said...

Vic,
I too never understood men who are so insecure about their hair. Just because a man was balding never turned me off. I'm one of those rare people who find many bald men attractive. Doesn't work for all men though. Bruce Willis I don't find attractive as a baldy. What I do find unattractive though is fake hair on a guy's head. When I met Bill he was wearing an obvious toupee to cover a head injury he suffered when he was in the Army (big dent in his head). For years (about fifty) I never saw him without his hairpiece. When he had his strokes a couple of years ago I got rid of that ratty hairpiece. He's quite comfortable not wearing one now. Could have been that way years ago but wearing one did make him more comfortable. I'm glad attitudes have changed now about men's hair. Ironically, Pat has a full head of hair but he shaves his head. I think he looks better with hair (makes him look more youthful) but he's comfortable with a shaved. head. He thinks it makes him look "cool." Oh well.
Ron

Ron said...

Paranormal John,
What a show that must have been, Tony Bennett and Peggy Lee. To great musical artists!
Ron

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...