Saturday, July 15, 2023

Night Out in Palm Springs Feb 15, 2019


Ah, sweet memories of the last time Pat and I visited Palm Springs, California, February of 2019. Then COVID hit and all travel came to an abrupt stop.

During COVID Bill had two strokes. That was two and a half years ago. I've been his full time caregiver since. I cannot go anywhere while I'm caregiving for Bill. 

Bill is off of home hospice care now, for the second time. His condition has stabilized. That's because of the excellent care his caregiver is giving him (of course, smile). 

I have accepted that for some years I will continue to be Bill's caregiver which means I won't be making trips to anywhere, let alone Palm Springs, my favorite place on this earth. 

If I should outlive Bill, I'm not sure I could even travel to Palm Springs. I'm reading and hearing that the airlines are making travel very difficult with smaller seats and increased fairs. And since I haven't been working at the hotel these past two and a half years I don't even know that I could afford a trip to Palm Springs. And of course there is my physical condition. I'm not steady on my feet. I'm an old man. Way past my prime. But oh how I would like to return to Palm Springs at least one more time. Pat would too. Maybe, just maybe this February 2024 Pat and I can return to Palm Springs and visit friends and check out all of our favorite places in that Oasis in the Desert......Palm Springs. One of the few places on this planet where I can be myself.

4 comments:

VRCooper said...

Have a great weekend Ron!!

Palm Springs is a unique place. I had a dear friend-Tony-who lived there. He lived just North of the airport off of Vista Chino. I had visited him often and you can't lose me in the town. I have been to Hunters. Tony and I were not club folks. We met back in the mid 90's when I lived in Dallas. I used to frequent John L's. John L's was a Carbert place and had great talent. I loved to visit Koffi in Palm Springs on the west side just below the main drag. Palm Springs is classy. I would say a notch above Las Vegas. The same type of weather. What I noticed in Palm Springs is that folks were out about in the early morning hours-walking, running, biking, golfing...-and then by noonish, folks hide out in their homes and don't come out until after sunset. Also would love to sit on restaurant patios with the misters. Tony sadly passed away in his sleep about a year ago. He and I were about a year apart in age. Great guy. Tony worked for the phone company and retired from them. He started out as an operator in Arkansas and worked his way up to management. He started out on the board where you would plug in the calls-ala Lilly Tomlin. There are some great folks in Palm Springs.

Take good care--

Victor

Woody in Ohio said...

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality. a quote by Yoko Ono. Ron, you and Pat keep on dreaming and it just may become a reality. I too have a dream of visiting someplace that is very special to me but I am not able to drive that far anymore. Recently a good and long time friend died. His partner reminded me that they have a handicap accessible van and it is now parked in the garage and not being use. The widowed partner says if I paid for the servicing of the van and expenses involved there is a very good possibility that my dream may become a reality. My dream sounded like a much needed vacation to him so we are going to see if we can't make it happen. For now though it is just a dream. So Ron, do not despair and keep the faith and maybe out of the blue an opportunity will present itself to you in some way, shape or form. The rain is now tapering off here and the temp is 76 for now. I have opened the windows for a bit of fresh clean air. It won't last long and when the sun appears it will become hot and humid. Tomorrow the smoke from Canada arrives again but this time with soot. It will hang around until Tuesday so they say. An airflow system is then supposed to move in and take it away. Be careful. You can never be too overly cautious when your having a few mobility problems. But you are doing pretty darn well at handling the problem from what I can tell from the blogging you do. By the way I for one am enjoying the pictures of you and Pat. They are wonderful. You guys are so darn photogenic! Woody in Ohio

Ron said...

Victor,
Thanks for sharing your memories of Palm Springs. Pat and I loved to visit Koffi in the morning. I'm pretty sure it was the one at the same location that you mentioned, just below the main drag. I am so looking forward to Pat and I making our annual visit back to Palm Springs in late January and early February for Modernism Week. I'm saving up money now for that trip! I'm sorry to hear that your friend Tony passed away. In his sleep, that's the way I want to go. Peacefully.
Ron

Ron said...

Woody,
I hope your realize your dream of taking a much needed vacation. By the way, you're encouraging me to post more picture of me and Pat. Thanks!
Ron

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...