Sunday, April 07, 2024

My Visit To Canada


Yesterday someone left a comment on one of my blog postings that I hadn't posted much about my recent trip to Canada with Pat to visit him at his new home. I am going to correct that oversight now. Here is a taste of my five day stay in Pat's hometown of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. 

The video above is us driving through upper New York State among all the wind turbines, which I didn't know existed in such abundance in New York. The last time I saw this many wind turbines was when Pat and I entered Palm Springs, California. I hadn't expected to see that many wind turbines in upper New York State near the Canadian border.

First let me say I am so glad I decided to take this road trip back with Pat to his new home on Hess Street in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Pat though I would be worn out from the nine hour drive but actually it was quite a pleasant drive. Probably because we had such a comfortable vehicle, a Ford Edge SUV.

We didn't actually take a nine hour drive. Instead of leaving directly from my home here in Southern Delaware, we left a day earlier to visit our friend Don McK. in Philadelphia, thus cutting off two hours of our trip to Canada. We always haves a good trip to Philly and visiting our friend Don, even if we were only there overnight. Usually we stay for a week. 

On Friday, March 22nd, we took off for Canada. The weather was nice driving out of Philly but the traffic very congested. Pat decided to take the scenic route, meaning no toll roads. We wanted to see the back country of Pennsylvania and New York. And that we did, only stopping once at a Burger King to feed our faces. 

Once we got to upper New York State we encountered snow and the wind turbines. I like seeing wind turbines on the landscape. This time with snow and not palm trees like we do when we drive into Palm Springs. 


Here we are entering Canada during the snowstorm. Pat said this was first significant snow Canada had this winter. Lucky us! There was an accident further down the road on the QE2, which held up traffic for over an hour. 

We finally got to Pat's small home on Hess Street in Hamilton, Ontario.

Pat's home is the unit on the left with the yellow door. The one in the middle is occupied by the noisy squatters. Probably selling drugs because there is often a steady flow of people in and out of that unit. The house on the right side is occupied by a normal person. 

I had never been to Pat's home before and was curious.  His home (the yellow door on the left) is attached to two other homes. Unfortunately for Pat the home in the middle is occupied by squatters which often keep him up at night with their loud arguments and hammering on their shared wall. Pat says they sleep during the day. I think they're vampires. 
Pat's home is adorable but not big. I like space. The first night there his next door neighbors were particularly noisy.  I got very little sleep. 

Fortunately a new Hampton Inn


was built just up the street from Pat. I decided to book a room there with a king sized bed and spend the rest of my visit with Pat sleeping in luxury at night. No more drug addled screaming and hollering and banging on the wall right next to where I was sleeping at Pat's house. I got a got rate at the Hampton Inn because I'm a Hilton Honors member (and former employee if that counts for anything). 

Pat and me with the Hampton Inn behind us, just up the street from Pat's house

I talked Pat into staying with me at the Hampton Inn. He asked me "Why did you get a king sized bed?" Pat, ever the minimalist. I told him "When you reserve a room at a hotel you always get a king sized bed." I'm a fitful sleeper and Pat knows very well I've tried to push him out of bed during some of our previous Air B & B stays. Bill had the same problem with me. I don't remember doing this because I'm asleep but it's probably from my youth when I had to share a bed with my two younger brothers until I was fifteen years old.

Me getting ready for bed, one of my brothers (Isaac) is already in bed. My other brother (John) took this picture as a joke because I'm in my underwear. A moment of big embarrassment in the Fifties to be caught in your underwear for a teenager. I hated that bed and sleeping with my brothers. Three in one bed, almost like the Walton family. Photo was taken about 1954.

 Yes, fifteen years old, believe it. I told my Mother I wanted my own bed and even better my own bedroom. She got me a cot the next Christmas which I put in the corner of my shared bedroom with my brothers. But I digress. The king sized bed worked just fine, a fact that Pat can attest to now because I didn't try to push him out of bed once. I think I now have Pat convinced to book a room with a king sized bed when staying at a hotel.

Me and Pat relaxing in our lovely room at the Hamilton, Hampton Inn which was just up the street (a block and a half) from Pat's home

Sometimes one can take this minimalist thing too far. But knowing Pat he would be just as happy sleeping in the back of a pickup truck. 

During our five day stay in Hamilton we visited several excellent vegan food restaurants. At night we watched all three of the Denzel Washington "Equalizer" movies. One day we visited Pat's friends in Port Dover and had lunch with them. 
Lunch in Port Dover with Pat's friends Deb and Paul

I wasn't much of a vegan until I met Pat. But I have to say since I met Pat I've enjoyed many a vegan meals at some really good vegan restaurants. There was one in Hamilton called "Happy Holligan's" that I really enjoyed. I always ask what the soup of the day is. This day they told me it was "Dill Pickle Soup." What? Now that was a new one. Always the one up for a new taste adventure (except anything connected with seafood), I ordered the dill pickle soup. Guess what? It was delicious! 
Dill pickle soup at Happy Hooligan's Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Me at Happy Hooligan's before the dill pickle soup



When Pat and I go on holiday together, perhaps to others what we do may not seem interesting or exciting but to us, we always have a good time. Just being together with this wonderful man, wherever we go, is a major treat for me. For my whole adult life, until I met Pat, I traveled alone. Some years ago I decided not to travel alone any more, just not the same as traveling with a friend or friends. Oh I've traveled with a friend and friends but those "friends" were more interested in looking for sexual encounters than they were with being with me. Interesting fact, they're all dead now. Coincidence? For me, all the years I visited Provincetown, I enjoyed getting away to a nice location where I was free to be myself. But even though Provincetown was gay friendly, I was never truly happy there being by myself and even worse when I went and/or took friend with me. They disappeared shortly after we landed at the airport, only to show up at the day of departure. Pat is interested in being with me. How novel. But I digress again. I am so fortunate at this time of my life to have a friend like Pat who I can travel with and we enjoy each other's company.  Can you imagine one of my other friends of the past enjoying a grocery shopping trip like the one below?
 


It's almost comical isn't it? No wonder they ditched me as soon as we landed. Dull Ron. 

Some other exciting things we did was shop at Home Depot. Every time I talk to Pat on FaceTime I see that hanging plant pot behind him with a dead plant. I was determined to get a nice philodendron to put in that pot. I did have to almost force Pat to go to Home Depot but I got the plants.
Me shopping at Home Depot for Pat's hanging plants

Another one an ivy plant for his other hanging plant, this one I couldn't see on my FaceTime calls with Pat. I am a Plant Guy. However, I have calmed down since my peak in the Eighties. I had my workplace at the bank a regular forest of hanging plants. Talk about excess.

Of course I could never visit Canada without a visit to Toronto, the Glass Canyon City. Pat used to live in Toronto. He moved several years ago to Hamilton because he said Toronto, with all those glass encased skyscrapers was becoming a city without character. Depersonalized. I like Toronto but I understand what Pat means. He loves Hamilton. I like Hamilton too. I think the comparison is like New York City and Philadelphia. New York is cool but Philadelphia is really cool. Philadelphia is livable. New York, for both of us, is too depersonalized. 

Then, too soon as always, it was time to depart Canada. I'm always sad when I have to leave Pat but especially now since I'm coming home here to an empty house. I always had Bill waiting for me before, not that he's gone it is especially sad  for me. 
Pat took this short video of me going through the TSA Pre Check line at the Buffalo Airport.


You can catch a glimpse of me right at the end with the hat and my black jacket. 

Before I forget, I did something this trip I always meant to do but never did. I traveled light and I mean light. I didn't have a change of shirts or pants. Only two sets of underwear and socks and my medications and my chargers for my Apple Watch and iPhone. I managed! I will do this on future trips.

The flight back was on time but there was a hitch. Isn't there always? When we arrived at Philadelphia International Airport we couldn't deplane because the JetWay didn't work. The Jet Way is that connector to the airplane at the airport that we passengers get into the building. That was a forty-five minute delay. Other than that delay, I had a wonderful trip. This trip was perfect because it got my mind off of the loss of Bill. Always when I returned from holidays like this I would share my experiences with Bill. Now there was no one here at Casa Tipton-Kelly to share my memories of my trip to Canada with Pat. Except all of you of course, my faithful blog readers.




Have a great day!








 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading this post, thanks for sharing all these thoughts with us. I hope you will continue to do this. It sounds like your trip overall was a good one. I’m sad to see Pat’s home now, being a minimalist is certainly not a bad thing but being trapped so close to terrible neighbors is not good. I like having space around me and enough distance from neighbors so they don’t bother me. It won’t surprise me if Pat moves again, to someplace more isolated from bothersome things. I don’t remember ever sharing a bed with my siblings when I was growing up, I was the oldest too. We were in the same room but it was a large one and we had separate beds. I can sure see how trying to sleep in a bed with two younger brothers would not be fun. I’ll bet having that cot to yourself was a good change even if it was in the same room. Keep your spirits up Ron, try to find a friend close by you can spend time with and not always be by yourself.
Jim

Anonymous said...

Oh Canada. Glad the trip was a nice break. Minimalist travel packing is great. I however, have had pen leaks, wine spills and ketchup stains, so I would need to pack a change of shirts. As the weather gets nicer and your garden grows, life will take on its new pace. The day you can think back of something about Bill and you smile or laugh, instead of feeling sad you will begin to feel better.

wcs said...

Sounds like a great time! I'm glad you shared some of it with us!

Postcard Cindy said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Amazing you packed so little, good for you. When I traveled here to visit my Bill I had clothes here so there was very little packing for me to do. Now I don’t seem to travel at all unless it’s by car, have made several trips to the Great Lakes with friends in the past.

anonymous said...

The trip to Cananda was a nice break for you Ron. Therapeutic! But...yikes! Those neighbors (squatters/drugs) next door to Pat sounds
scary. Can't Pat report this to someone?? I'm afraid I'd have to
move. I don't think I could sleep at night knowing that was going
on next door. That was a great idea getting a nice hotel room.
Traveling light is the way to go if you can. I hope you're settling
in back at home now. Keeping busy with projects/volunteer work...whatever to keep you focussed on the good things out there. Isolation isn't healthy. I still say...get a kitty. When you're gone/traveling, they can be boarded. They have some nice Pet Motels these days. You then have 'someone' to come home to! Best to you, Ron.
Paranormal John

Ron said...

Jim,
You were lucky not having to share a bed with your siblings. I hated it. Growing up I had a lack of privacy, something that I have a lot of now. Something I always strived for. That's why I was reluctant to move in with Bill when he first asked me. I'm glad I dd though because Bill always respected my privacy and I had my own bed.
I did thoroughly enjoy my road trip to Canada with Pat. Maybe I can do it again next year. Before COVID and caring for Bill I did travel to Canada once year to visit Pat. I visited him so much I felt like his home in Canada was my second home. Probably because I enjoy Pat's company so much. However, I don't think I can ever stay at Pat's home. It's just too small. Ironically, after that first noisy night with his neighbors, they weren't noisy again. Still, I enjoyed my hotel room.
I thought of finding a friend nearby to spend time with. I know a few guys but I don't know that I want to spend time with them. They're not the type that I could spend time with. Maybe that's on me. Now if I met someone like Pat but I doubt I ever would. There is only one Pat. Now if I had a friend like Glenn who lives in Palm Springs, California or Don who lives in Philadelphia, I would definitely spend time with them.
Thanks for your comment Jim. Always appreciated.
Ron

Ron said...

Anonymous,
I loved traveling light. I always wondered if I could survive and indeed I did. The clue probably was when I traveled with those changes of clothes, I rarely changed shirt or even pants. Of course this trip was only for five days too, not the two weeks when I travel to Palm Springs. On that trip I will take a change of shirts, especially one of those new bling shirts I bought just for my trips.
My gardening is taking up more of my time. I'm not thinking of Bill all of my waking hours now. Occasionally I will see something that reminds me of him though and a sadness washes over me. I expect that feeling to change with time..
Ron

Ron said...

Walt,
( had a wonderful time in Canada. I always have a good time with Pat. We are so compatible. We're like one person.
Ron

Ron said...

Postcard Cindy,
I wasn't sure how my light packing would work out but it did! I am so happy! But I did leave two sets of underwear and socks with Pat for my next visit.
Ron

Ron said...

Paranormal John,
I would have to move too if I had "neighbors" like Pat has now. They moved in shortly after Pat bought his place. What a shame for Pat. And and his neighbor on the other side of the miscreant house are taking steps to removed them, by complaining to city hall officials. So far not much has taken place to change the situation. Pat and his neighbor has also contacted a newspaper reporter abut the story but then his neighbor dropped out of that participation, afraid something bad would happen to her. What a way to live. I think if and when Pat sells, he's going to have a big problem.
I thought about getting a cat again but have decided against it. I have too many nick knacks and things for a cat to get into. I'm just too old to take care of a pet now John. Maybe if I was younger. Maybe I'll revisit this decision in the future. One thing for sure, I won't get a kitten the next time. Way too active. Also, I'm not volunteering my time anywhere. If I do any work it will be going back to my part-time job at the hotel. I get paid for working. There are more than enough retirees down here in Lower Slower who have enough household income that they can volunteer. I need the money to maintain my level of living.
Ron

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...