Friday, January 13, 2023

Bill's Emergency Room Visit

Bill waiting for his vascular surgery early this evening


 Bill is in the hospital tonight. 

Earlier this evening he had emergency vascular surgery to remove massive blood clots from his right leg.

Two nights ago Bill woke up to a tremendous pain in his right leg. I noticed the next morning his right leg was swollen. I decided to monitor it. This morning it was worse, much worse. I called the VA to get authorization to go to the Urgent Care unit in Lewes. They took one look at his leg and told me he had to go to the Emergency Room right away. They took us right away. 

We spent all day in the Emergency Room. I ate the hospital food (I was famished) because Bill couldn't. He has trouble swallowing. They said they could do the surgery tonight which we both agreed to.

I left Bill and the hospital and returned to our darkened home. It's always so empty when Bill isn't here. As much as I complain about being a full-time caregiver without a break (two years tomorrow) I sorely miss Bill when he isn't here. It breaks my heart to leave him all alone in the hospital. He depends so much on me not only for care but for emotional support. I know he will spend a sleepless night tonight but he will be home tomorrow. 

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope he recovers quickly from this.

Jim

Woody in Ohio said...

I am hoping that all goes well and Bill is able to return to the comfort of home as soon as possible. Ron, your friends are always here both of you. Also remember to take a moment to breathe calmly, try to get some rest and recharge your own body. Rest and food help keep you alert and careful. Bill loves you very much which you know. He knows you are doing all you can humanly do for him and that it is very difficult for you too at times like this. Wish I could be there to lend a hand and give you a shoulder to lean on. Love from Woody in Ohio

VRCooper said...

Hello Ron,

I know that you did not have a good night's sleep with Bill in the hospital AND knowing he is in unfamiliar surroundings, out of his routine-yours as well-and raising hell. I give the nurses extra credit and a bagel.

Wishing Bill a speedy recovery.

I know you and I crossed this bridge before BUT it would be nice to have someone sit, and watch Bill at a distance while you have a few hours of reprieve outside the home. I know, I know, NO ONE else in the home. But for your sanity and reenergizing please consider.

I know for sure Bill thanks you for all that you have done for him, especially in the last few years. You could have left him for a younger model. Smile!!

Hopefully, you and Bill will settle once again into your comfortable routine.

Best of health!! Take care of YOURSELF so that you can take care of Bill!!

Victor
XO

Jon said...

What a horrible ordeal for you and Bill to go through. I hope everything will turn out okay and Bill will soon be home getting some much-needed rest. You are truly a saint, Ron. Please take care of yourself.

Ron said...

Victor,
Bill is still in the hospital. He wants to come home so bad but I can't bring him home yet. He's confused. Sometimes he thinks he's already at home. He has numerous blood clots in his lungs as well as his leg. Maybe tomorrow he will come home. Then we can resume our normal life, such as it is. It has to be better than it is now.
Ron

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...