Bill called me from his rehab this afternoon. He sounded almost like the old Bill I know and love.
He also called yesterday and sounded like his old self.
He said his physical therapy is coming along, he walked two hundred feet today. That is great news! However, he is still at risk of falling down. But it is encouraging that he can walk and even do steps. Maybe he can even go down the thirteen steps to his bedroom.
Over the weekend I thoroughly cleaned out his room, vacuuming the hell out of it. I dusted every thing off. And, a biggie since I hate to paint, I painted his corner. The wall was so dirty with his fingerprints from putting up all those pictures of me and other pictures that give him comfort. One picture is of Bill and my Mother. He loved my Mother and the feeling was mutual, my Mother was best friends with Bill. They were only four years apart in age.
Also Bill's favorite eagle picture is now up behind his bed and one of his favorite oil paintings, of Baltimore Orioles birds.
This Friday Bill is scheduled to be discharged from the rehab hospital that has been his home the past two weeks. He is so anxious to come home as I am to have him here, where I can take care of him.
This afternoon I also received a call from the home health care agency. They're setting things up also to come and help me when Bill comes home. They said they were "stretched" because of COVID and no one wanting to stay in facilities where they could catch the virus. I am so fortunate to have Bill come home again. I thought I had lost him back on January 14th, when I found him unconscious on the floor of this same bedroom. He had hit his head on the wall coat hanger seat piece of furniture that I bought from Yield House many years ago. I've moved that out of his bedroom to give him more space. No loose throw rugs either. But the wall to wall carpet stays. We'll managed with his walker and me helping him every time he has to move.
Two more days and Bill comes home.
11 comments:
These 13 steps up and down the basement can cause some problems .
A walker is for extra grip and balance , but he can't use it on the steps .
Maybe your expectations are a bit high and Bill is not able to do it . Just wait and see .
Make a good - second plan- to use the sun room as his bedroom .
In that case you are prepared and it does not take you by surprise .
Good luck friday !
Such a dutiful husband...We are ready...I am worried about those stairs...As long he has everything he needs downstairs he should be set...You can always assist him up the stairs if need be for meals and or leave him stuff within reach when you have to go to work...Folks do better when they are in familiar surroundings...Can we get him some type of alert to call you when he is in need...Best of health to Bill...And don't forget to take care of yourself...Eat, rest and get out in the fresh air...XO--Victor
Dear Ron
I read Victor's comment above about Bill having an alert alarm and I hope you will look into this as it could be a lifesaver.
Here in England social services can give out alarms for the vulnerable that they wear around their necks and if anything happens they just press the button which is directed to a call centre and the people there telephone the given number to say there is a problem and what could they do to help.
Do you have anything like that in America? It might be worth looking in to.
Just a suggestion.
Best wishes
Jacinta.
Ps. So glad Bill is recovering. I don't comment often but always read your posts. Make sure you keep us updated as often as you can. You have many people wishing the very best for you both.
So glad Bill is sounding better. The alert idea is a good one. And I agree Bill will feel so much better once he gets home. Wishing you the best!
So happy to hear this!
Anonymous,
You're right, those 13 steps are a challenge. We'll see what Bill can do, but I'm not going to push it nor is he. He's ready to use the side bedroom, which does have his old bed in it, if he doesn't feel comfortable doing the 13 steps to his bedroom downstairs. He does love that bedroom though and his bathroom is only a few steps away from his bedroom.
Today we had a practice session at the rehab facility getting Bill in and out of my car. It went well. I'll post a video of it in my next blob post.
Ron
VRCooper,
I've thought of some kind of alert that he can call me but I don't know which one. I don't want to do one of those that you subscribe to an outside service. I just need one for me. Thing is though, when I go to sleep I sleep really heavily. We'lll just have to play it by ear. I'll be here with him all the time. The only time I'm not with him is when I sleep and an alert system probably wouldn't wake me anyway. Tomorrow he comes home.
Rom
VRCooper,
Oh, and the getting rest for me. My phone rings all day with calls relating to Bill. Today calls from the home health aide, the cemetery (prearrangements so I don't have to do it THEN), and Bill. Yesterday I must have had ten calls. I'm used to taking an afternoon nap. The only time I can sleep now is when everyone goes home from work.
Ron
Elle,
Bill will do so much better once he is at home. Tomorrow he comes home!
Ron
Jacinita,
Thanks, your comments are always welcome. I've often wondered, do my blog posts have any foreign visitors? Good to know it does.
Ron
Thanks Dave in Texas!
Ron
Post a Comment