This morning I was able to visit Bill again for one hour. I won't be able to visit again for three days because of impending snow. I don't travel in the snow. Slipping on the snow and ice three years ago was the cause of me tearing my left leg quadricep which put me out of commission for months. I cannot take any chances that I won't be here for Bill when he is discharged from the rehab facility next Friday on February 5th, 2021.
Thank goodness he was more lucid this morning when I talked to him but he's still so tired. I'm still concerned about his mobility. I couldn't get him to maneuver himself so I could put a shirt, that I brought up, on him. His mobility is a big concern of mine when he is home. I would like to see more improvement. But we have another week to go at the rehab facility. Hopefully he'll be able to have more mobility. I'm not sure if I could manage if he was completely bed ridden.
I brought his glasses up to him but he didn't want me to leave them. He's afraid they would get broken like his hearing aid got broken a day after I brought it up to him. Bill might have broken it himself, because I noticed his hand movements weren't that good when I first give him his hearing aid to put on.
I also brought him up his favorite sweater. He likes maroon with a design. Pat bought him that sweater for Christmas several years ago. It's hard to get a cardigan sweater that is colorful with a design. It seems the only cardigan sweaters for men or either a dull brown or black. Bill hates those colors, especially black.
The hour that I was allowed to spend with him quickly went by (yesterday they told me I'm only allowed to have an hour because of the COVID protocols). It always breaks my heart to leave him there but I'm getting our home ready for his return with a walker and possibly a wheelchair. I've already taken up almost all of our throw rugs and runner rugs on the first floor. At first I didn't like the look, "too bare" I thought. Now, however, I'm growing to like it. Maybe I'll keep it that way. Easier to clean the floors (which I did with Murphy's Oil Soap today) and gives our place a spacey, modern look. However, the areas where I had the runner rugs are darker than the wood that's been exposed to light these past fourteen years since we lived here.
I'm going to try and watch a movie tonight, the first movie I've watched, since Bill's accident on January 14th, a day I will always remember the rest of my life. A day I knew would come but still was a shock when it did come.
Soon, Bill will be home again and I can make him comfortable, give him his favorite food (he hates the rehab hospital food, something which he always tells me when I visit him, I tell him not to say it too loud), and place him whether it be in a wheelchair, hospital bed or that big elderly elevated chair in his favorite spot in our sunroom where he can look out the windows to our back yard and see the first arrival of the robins for the new spring and the daffodils bloom again.

7 comments:
Only 6 more days until he’s home. Yay! I hope the week zooms by fir you both and Bill builds enough strength with PT to help you help him as needed.
You are truly a guardian angel, Ron. The hard work and tireless effort that you are devoting to Bill is remarkable - but there's no doubt that he deserves it. I'm so glad that he will be coming home soon. What a relief! The task of caring for him won't be easy, but I know you'll manage to the best of your ability.
I always read your blog posts, but don't always comment due to infuriating problems I have with my laptop keyboard. Take care and keep us posted.
When I was in rehab, the one thing I most wanted was J to bring me something good to eat, if there is any fast food Bill likes, treat him by going through the the drive through on your next visit. He will love it, the staff will understand.
Breenlantern,
I couldn't visit Bill today because of snow. Last year we didn't get any snow here in southern Delaware but not this year. Hopefully it dissipates by my next scheduled visit this Wednesday. I can't even talk to Bill on his phone by his bed because he can't hear me. His hearing aid is broken. The snow is swirling around outside and wind whistling. Oh how I wish Bill was here now, we could be nice and cozy here in our home, which we both love so much.
Ron
Jon,
Snowing here now, which prevented me from visiting Bill at the rehab where he is now. Oh how I wish he was here with me in our cozy, warm house so I could take care of him and just us together.
I understand about the comments, Pat told me it's actually difficult to leave a comment on my blog. With Blogger's "new and improved" format, I can't figure out how to make it easier so I just let it go. I've tried to figure it out but I just don't want to expend all that time. Blogger did an update by committee. Not user friendly at all.
Thanks for your comment Jon. Always good to hear from you.
Ron
David,
I took him some of his favorite food up a last week. Yesterday I saw it still sitting the corner in the bag I brought it up. It was unrefrigerated for at least three days. Bill doesn't want to eat too much but he does like overripe bananas. I took some of them up to him, which he ate part of one.
Ron
oh the pain
I am glad to see in the comments you have Love and support now.
Post a Comment