Thursday, February 11, 2021

Thoughts On My New Role As A FullTime Caregiver


Yesterday morning Bill and I completed a task that was delayed by his accident last month, updating his end of life documents.

Our lawyer brought Bill's end of life documents out to our car for his signature. Two witnesses also came out to stand by our car in the sunny cold air which was parked in front of the lawyer's office on Rehoboth Avenue in Rehoboth Beach, to witness Bill signing his documents. That task done I decided to take the three block ride down to the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk and take a walk. I love walking on the boardwalk during offseason days like yesterday. The ocean, with the waves rolling in on the cold sand, is the same but the crowds are gone. Just a few brave souls walking the boards with the cold ocean air winds, so tranquil and peaceful. Something I need during this change in our lives. But while I was waiting for copies that were being made for me of Bill's end of life documents, I watched the people bustling around my lawyer's office. I thought to myself, "I used to be like that. I had a job for many years at a bank in Philadelphia. I commuted every day to Philadelphia from Downingtown to my job as a trust operations manager. I worked right in center city Philadelphia with all that hustle and bustle. I would manage and supervise thirty some people to get that day's trust remittances, statements, and fees out the door for that day. I would meet friends for lunch. I would take the R-5 train home at the end of the day. Bill would be waiting for me at the train station in his Jeep Cherokee. We would ride home to our two story gambrel roofed farmhouse on seven acres of wooded land. Our three Pomeranian dogs would be so excited to see me, yapping and jumping all over me.  I would take a shower, come down from my upstairs bedroom/bathroom and make dinner. Then perhaps I would watch a little TV or in the summertime, with daylight savings time, do some years work. I would go to bed around eleven o'clock. Get up at 4:30 AM the next morning, have breakfast and catch the 6:02 AM R-5 Septa express train for the hour commute to Philadelphia. Then I would do it all over again, five days a week. I thought nothing of that routine. That was my life. Now, I have memories. This is the week I would have been in Palm Springs for a two week stay with my Canadian buddy Pat F. That plane left yesterday without me, because of COVID. Just as well, because if COVID wasn't here I couldn't have went anyway. Who know when I'll ever be able to go again. Little did I know last year at this time as Pat and I sat in the courtyard of a popular local Palm Springs coffee shop, luxuriating in our easy life that my life would take such a turn. I would never have guessed in a million years a global pandemic would totally uproot life as we know it on our planet. And that I would be the full-time caregiver for my lover/parnter/companian/husband  of fifty six years. That today, instead of enjoying a mocha latte in Palm Springs I would be cleaning pee off our wall to wall carpeting that leads to Bill's bathroom, and changing his Pampers underpants and yoga pants and trying to explain to him that he should push his red Med-Doorbell button alert that I have hanging around his neck so I can help him go to the bathroom (my life now revolves around attending to his bathroom needs) and we wouldn't have to go through undressing him from his urine soaked yoga pants and Pampers and putting new ones on him. He said he "thought he made it" to the bathroom urinal jug that I have there for him.  He still hasn't figured out to hold the jug.  He was so exhausted after changing that he listened to me to push that red button that's hanging on a lanyard around his neck. It's going to be much easier on him (and me) if he lets me know when he "has to go." Five years ago, when I tore my left leg quadricep muscle, I had a cast on for twelve weeks. The first several weeks Bill had to help me go to the bathroom. I would call him on his phone (that's when he knew how to operate his iPhone, he doesn't now, I got rid of it several months ago). Bill would do the same for me if I was in the situation he is in now. 

A friend of mine (Glenn), who recently lost his husband of thirty-one years, and who he was a caregiver for about four years, told me "this is the price we pay for having such a loving relationship." I agree with him. I've known for years that Bill and I are one of the lucky few who have a long, loving relationship. 

Since Bill's medical emergency last month, my most of my waking hours are consumed with taking care of Bill. I've been advised to "take some time" for myself but it's difficult when I am the sole caregiver. I was able to do that yesterday when I parked our car, sunny side on Bill's side. He loves to sit in our car in the sun. I left him there, at the parking lot at the end of the boardwalk, and embarked on my first walk in weeks. My legs were begging for the exercise. And oh it felt so good to walk, with the ocean breeze briskly stinging my face (the portion that wasn't covered by my mask).  

I took some videos, one of which is at the beginning of this blog. During my walk I thought of friends who I used to contact when I was in Rehoboth Beach talking a walk "on the boards." I couldn't contact Ed C., he died several years ago. He had a nice cottage three blocks from the boardwalk. I couldn't contact Wayne J., he died in 2015. He also lived near the boardwalk. I also couldn't contact my best friend Bob Mc., he died seven years ago. A wave of sadness washed over me. I thought to myself "I have no one to call. These people all going about their lives, taking so much for granted and I am entering the final chapter, act, phase of my life."

As I type this blog entry, I hear the rumbling sounds of Bill's walker on our now rugless floor boards, doing his daily exercise. We've been waiting all morning for our local heating and air conditioning service company to perform their annual maintenance on our heating system. They were supposed to be here between 8:00 AM and 12: AM. It is now 11:32 AM, no service company. No phone call. I called the company and they said they're still coming out, but they're just running "a little behind."  

Bill's quality of life is greatly diminished. He's frustrated because he can't do what he used to do. 

Yesterday was his first full day of taking his medications. He couldn't sleep last night. The one medication I didn't give him was a mood drug because I thought that's what they gave him at the rehab facility where he was staying to keep him calmed down because he was "agitated."  Bill hasn't had a problem sleeping since he got home but he did last night. And of course if he isn't sleeping, I'm not sleeping either. We decided that he should take the Seroquel. That did the trick. He went to sleep. Of course he's confused now and sort of out of it. He had an "accident" this morning. Didn't quite make it to the bathroom for his pee break. He still can't quite get the hang of the urinal jug. 

By the way, the service guy just came. The window of time was 8 AM to 12 PM. It is now 12:20 PM. Why am I always on the end of the window? Wherever I live, I'm on the end of the window of time. Oh well. 

After he leaves I'm going to go down to Staples and buy another roll of plastic carpet covering to extend Bill's walkway from his downstairs bedroom to his bathroom, trying to prevent any more urine hitting our wall to wall carpet. Trying to take precautions and please no warnings about Bill  tripping on the plastic rug covering. I'm not removing the wall to wall carpeting. I've already removed all the rugs upstairs where he exercises with his walker.

Still no word on his hearing aids. He is so frustrated that he can't hear as I am trying to communicate with him. That's another phone call I'll have to make from Caregiver Central here.

This is the sixth day since Bill came home from the rehab hospital. We're getting a routine worked out. Of course my whole life now revolves around caring for Bill. Maybe I can snatch a bit of time here and there to update this blog and catch up with my friends Pat, Larry, Don and Glenn on FaceTime. Don called me last night on FaceTime. Don is 84 years old and lives in center city Philadelphia in a co-op. He's doing well but he is 84 years old. I'll be 80 years old next year. I wonder what is in store for us? I certainly don't see a caregiver in my future. Nor do I want to. This is no quality of life for Bill. But at least he's here in the comfort of his own home even if he can't do the things he used to. I feel so bad for him but I tell him every day how much I love him which I am so thankful for to have that opportunity. I thought I had lost him forever last month when I found him unconscious on the floor. 

This is the best we can do at this time. I guess I always knew this day was coming. Could be a lot worse. Just looking forward to getting into a routine and having a new normal. That's the most we can hope for at this time.

Bill and few minutes ago



13 comments:

VRCooper said...

Ron,

I have been to the Dolly candy/taffy shop years ago. Glad you are killing two birds with one stone-sunning for Bill and you to stretch your legs. Do more of that. Just to get outside of your neighborhood and walk a few blocks while Bill is resting. A change of scenery does wonder even if it is for a short while.

Glad to see that the Daddies are getting their routines worked out. Maybe if Bill takes the pill longer he will adjust to it and it won't make him drowsy/out of it during the day.

Thanks for taking care of our Bill AND you.

Victor
xoxo

Ron said...

Victor,
That was nice to be able to walk on the boardwalk while Bill sat in our car, basking in the sun. He loves getting out and going for a ride. I'll take another walk on the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk.
Ron

A Brit in Tennessee said...

So sorry to read of Bill's accident, but happy he's back home with his love, and in his comfort zone. You have a mammoth job ahead, when I returned home after being in a rehab for two months, it was the best feeling in the world, but I knew it took a toll on my husband, literally taking care of me everyday. Are you able to hire a part-time sitter, and then you could get a little down-time ?
Sending healing thoughts your way,
Josephine

Woody in Ohio said...

Ron,

You are doing remarkably well. You, and Bill, knew this day would come and I think you had been observing the situations of others, asking questions, and storing everything you had gleaned away in the back of your mind. Now you are finding the strength we all do when we are called upon to care for our loved one. I know I did but that is my nature. I observed the $8-10,000.00 a month at home care a neighbor was receiving and said to myself you can do that when the time comes. When the day came and I found myself providing 24/7 care and taking a leave of absence from a business we owned I quickly learned I couldn't do it alone even though I was giving the proper care. There had been three LPNs giving the around the clock care at the neighbors. That is when I asked a friend who owned an assisted living facility what I needed to do. He told me to hire a temporary team of caregivers and then go off for a few days and rest and relax. He said that when I came home to ask the caregivers what they thought I should do. Hospice. That's what they said. I called a couple of hospice companies and got the information I needed. They all interviewed me and my partner, Henry. I called our medical insurance provider and I got approval for the hospice group I thought was best. At first I worked with them and then my partner said I needed to let them do it all and I should go back to running our company. A few months later Henry said maybe I should stay closer to home for a few days. I never left his side and together we faced his end of life. Hospice showed us the way and I have never forgotten those nurses. I am trying to make a point to you and it is simple and you have sort of said it already. Our loved one wants us to give them all our attention because they love us and they feel comfortable with us. In my case the nurses and caregiver knew I was in the way of the physical care they needed to give to make him comfortable. Henry needed to rely totally on them for that care. I never abandoned him which he thought I was sort of doing but with the help of hospice counseling he realized we were going to have the quality time we needed. I think if you brought in a hospice group, if one is available now that Covid has made them scarce, Bill will rely on them for his health care and that will leave you to give him your love and support the rest of the time. You will get rest and will be strong when it is the time. I was always drawn to the older men and the its now been 20 years since Henry passed on at 80. Now 80 is fast approaching me and I am all alone but not afraid of the future. Ron, take care of yourself and Bill. Get as much rest as you can and never hesitate to ask for help from your doctor and attorney when making decisions. It sounds like you got some good VA help in your area and I hope you continue to use it. I know I "talk" too much so I will just observe your vlogs for awhile and "chime" in now and again. No more lectures. Remember to smile. It is chicken soup for the soul! And EAT! Lots of love is being sent your way and with it my warmest regards to both of you. Spring will be here soon and with it the warming rays of the sun.

Richard said...

Don't be telling him what to do. Don't be bitching about his diapers. Last time i was in this situation, it was not easy.
It was bad and i wish it could have been better.
Maybe ask for help? You don't have to do this all alone.

Elle Clancy said...

I'm glad you got out. Walking on the boardwalk, with ocean next to you, is heaven. I'm sure it was rejuvenating. I wish I could offer advice (other than to take advantage of any offer of help); I've not been in this position but I offer my prayers and wishes for you. You are doing the best you can, Ron; you and Bill are blessed to have each other. ♥

Anonymous said...

Ron,
I have cared for an elderly friend and Seroquel is a serious drug. It has it's purpose and can help relaxing. But can add to confusion.
Now that you are in a home setting which should be less disorienting you might want to ask about scaling back the dosage to a lower milligram. Also, they make underwear that has absorbent pads in it, That aren't as disconcerting as adult diapers but serve a similar
function. Often time when elderly people fall and hurt themselves, it's not because of a trip or stumble but because a part of the brain that controls things short circuits. So a combination of subtle cognition changes along with a powerful drug like Seroquel just might be adding to the confusion. Every person reacts differently to drugs so my comments might not apply. But when you talk to his care team ask if a lower dosage might be possible. Just a thought.

https://www.amazon.com/Depend-Incontinence-Underwear-Maximum-Absorbency/dp/B008RJV0L4/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=absorbent+underwear+men&qid=1613194052&sr=8-5

Ron said...

A Brit in Tennessee (Josephine),
You're right, being a full-time caregiver is literally taking over my whole waking hours and even my sleeping hours. But it is so important to have Bill home for several reasons. First I he will heal better and gain his strength back in our home, where he is most comfortable and I can take much better care of him that they can at the rehab facility where he was for two weeks. Thanks for your suggestion of hiring part-time help but that won't work now because Bill isn't comfortable with someone else in the house. We've had health care workers in but all they do is take his temperature and fill our their paperwork and tell me what I can't do. I know what is best for Bill. So far I'm managing taking care of Bill. He is somewhat mobile but he still gets confused with his bathroom calls. He can't get the pulling up of his Depends and his yoga pants at the same time. This is an experience for sure. I am so glad that I can take care of Bill at this time of his life.
Thank you for your comment and advice.
Ron

Ron said...

Woody,
All valuable information you have supplied for me. I thank you so much for that. Right now I am able to care for Bill myself, even though it has upended my life. We cannot afford $8,000-$10,000 a month for an in house caregiver nor would Bill tolerate that. I do have the option of home hospice care with the VA. They told me just to ask when I feel that is necessary. Right now Bill is somewhat mobile although he does get confused when he goes to the bathroom (which he relies totally on me for help.) He can't get the concept of pulling his Depends up the same time as his yoga pants. He usually pulls up his yoga pants first, leaving his Depends down around his knees. i got Bill a comfortable recliner (Wayfair) yesterday to put in his sunroom. He likes that recliner, which is where he is sleeping now. My goal is to keep him here at home. Either me taking care of him now while he is mobile or hospice care which the VA will provide here at home. The home health care workers who have come in (physical and occupational therapist) haven't been any help to me. They just take his temperature and blood pressure and fill out their paperwork. Lots of paperwork those women fill out. Wow.
I was talking to Pat this morning on FaceTime. This is the time we would have been in Palm Springs. Who knows what next years brings?
Thanks again for your comment and suggestions. All appreciated.
Ron

Ron said...

Richard,
Thanks for your suggestions. We working on a routine. One day at a time. Somethings work, somethings don't work. This is a learning process. We're progressing.
Ron

Ron said...

Hi Elle,
Always good to hear from you. Thanks for your comment.
Ron

Ur-spo said...

This sounds so much like my 2020 first with Mother, and now with Father. You are doing a fine job toward's Bill's passing . He is lucky to have you.

nitewrit said...

I have been struggling with adjusting to the new computer. I just subscribed to your blog and this is the first comment I have tried.

Labor Day Weekend

  Photo of the back of my home here in southern Delaware taken at 1:26 PM today -  I may not have access to the boardwalk or a view of the o...