![]() |
| Bill with Sparky, one of his favorite dogs - 1972 |
As I type this blog entry, Bill is at the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA. He was helicoptered there yesterday afternoon after the doctors at the local hospital emergency room determined that he was near death from blood clots in his lungs.
I was very reluctant to post this information but now that I am over the initial shock of finding Bill unconscious on the floor of his bedroom yesterday morning and had to call 911, I am writing this information, bad as it is, as a continuation of the saga of the life of me and Bill.
First of all, briefly, Bill's medical condition. He had bleeding on the brain (probably from the fall yesterday and the one a few days ago in the kitchen on the hard tile floor) which made the doctors' reduction to administer blood thinner medicine for the blood clots in his lungs. A further ultra sound found blood clots in his legs as well. Last night they inserted a medical filter device to prevent those blood clots from going to his heart and killing him.
I had several discussions with the doctors in what to do in the worst case scenario (which is still hard for me to fathom) but what Bill and I have always agreed on, no extra and above medical procedures to keep him alive. Minor surgery list the device to block those blood clots in his legs were all right but no brain surgery. At Bill's age even if he survived the brain surgery (to relieve the swelling from the bleeding in his brain of which there is no guarantee of recovery) his quality of life wouldn't be worth living. Same thing with resuscitation (breaking of his ribs) to get his pulse going again.
I was almost over the edge last night with concern that Bill would die. I just cannot imagine my life without Bill. Fifty-six years is a long time to spend with one person, sharing your most intimate thoughts and everything. Bill has devoted his whole life to me, without him I have a hard time imagining even existing as a whole person.
While talking to his nurse in the ICU unit last night she asked me if I wanted to FaceTime with Bill. Would I? YES! That brought me to tears. She took her personal iPhone and I talked to Bill on FaceTime. He was in and out of it but he did know who I was. He didn't know where he was or how he got there (he finally got his helicopter ride but what a way to get it), but he DID KNOW ME.
Since then I've talked to him several times on FaceTime (making a pain out of myself with his nurse but she's so nice) and he's a little more with it.
I think he's over the most critical period now. They're going to start doing physical therapy with him now. His doctors have prescribed blood thinning medication. I was given the option of sending him to rehab or have him come home here. Of course I want him home. They warned me that I might have a problem lifting him (Bill weighs about 180 lbs) but I assured him that I can manage with the occasional help of my neighbor who also helps another one of our neighbors who has a propensity to fall.
I called in to work to take a leave of absence. I will be here full-time to take care of Bill.
I just cannot wait until Bill comes home. This is not a home without Bill. When I came back last night I saw several things right off the bat that reminded me of Bill. The overripe bananas that he so loves. His uneaten Werther's candy cream that he so loves.
Bill and I have often talked about when the day would come that one of us would check out. That one of us would die. We all get our turn.
We agreed that it is best that Bill goes first. Of course he's worried about me but I can take care of myself. Except maybe psychologically. If I died before, Bill said he would kill himself because he would have no reason to live. Actually Bill would go crazy. I know Bill. Also, Bill is tired. He's often said he's tired of living but only stays around because of me. And I have to admit I'm selfish, I want him around. But what I have also told him is that when he dies it's like going under anesthesia, he doesn't know anything. So there is no need to worry about me. He will have that eternal rest that we all here about that is our eventual reward. I don't believe in Heaven or Hell but if there is an afterlife, it is Heaven. If and when Bill dies he will be reunited with his pets, friends, relatives, parents, my parents, and so many others we have know who passed on. Bill has outlived almost all of them.
I have been so fortunate to have Bill in my life for the past fifty-six years, but I am greedy. I want him just a little bit longer.
I'm not religious folks except now. Pray for Bill and pray for me. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life. I hope I can make it through. I have to admit that sometimes I feel like just laying down and going to sleep and never waking up. But of course I would never do that as long as Bill is alive. I am here to take care of him. I am privileged to take care of him.
This afternoon I called another friend who recently lost his longtime partner/husband. It was good to talk to him. Ironically he had sent me a letter that I received last night when I came home from work at the hotel to a house empty of Bill, there was his letter from him. I had never talked to him before but to his husband who had been following my blog for many years. He informed me that his husband was ill the past two years and he was caring for him all that time. I did not know that. I wondered why he stopped commenting on my blog. He did tell me how much his husband like my blog. Now I feel guilty for not posting more often. It was good to talk to him (which we did for about two hours I'm embarrassed to say) over FaceTime. Then we had a three way conversation with Pat, my Rock of Gibralter. What would I do without Pat? See how fortunate I am? If I didn't have Pat, I can't even comprehend that life.
The latest information from Bill's doctors (and I may be repeating myself here) is that they're doing physical therapy on Bill now to get him up and moving around. I will have to go to a physical therapy class. Then I can bring Bill home and maybe have more time with him. Oh God, I hope I can have more time with him. After all, I need somebody to eat those blackened bananas.

29 comments:
Oh Ron, I’m so sorry! Sending you prayers and hugs! I hope Bill is home soon! Margaret
Big prayers for both you and Bill. I’m not a religious person but I AM a woman of faith, and I am positive that prayer always helps. You’ve had a good life together and it’s not over yet.
You’re both in my thoughts. Hoping Bill returns home and to full health soon.
Sean
Oh Ron, I just read this. What dreadful news. I am sorry.
I am a long-time lurker but just had to de-lurk to send you and Bill all my good thoughts. Hoping Bill continues to improve!
Keeping you and Bill in my thoughts. He's lucky to have you by his side.
Folks,
I am up here at 2:30 AM in the morning. I was so exhausted yesterday that I went to bed at about 9 o'clock. Not my usual time at all. Usually go to bed around 12:30 AM. I knew this would happen,, me getting up in the middle of the night to this empty house.
Thank you all for your good wishes and prayers. As I've said many times before, I am not a religious person but I am a spiritual person. This is perhaps the toughest thing I've ever done in my life. This is hard. Very hard.
Ron
If there's any power in thoughts they are now forcefully with Bill and you, Ron. Hoping ever so much that you can BOTH get through this and come out stronger.
I was so sorry to read this, Ron. My very best wishes to you both for strength to get through the days to come. Carol, a reader from your old neighborhood in Philly.
Ray,,
Thank you so much for your well wishes during this very difficult time for me and Bill.
Ron
Carol,
Thank you very much for y our heartfelt wishes for me and Bill. I need all the support I can get now. This is very hard.
Ron
Walt,
Thank you for your well wishes. You understand what I'm going through now.
Ron
Sean,
Thank you for your well wishes. I know you understand what we're going through now. I always knew this was a possibility but it is so much worse than I had envisioned. Barley hanging on here Sean. Barely.
Ron
My thoughts are with Bill and You, Sir..
Spo,
Thank you for your well wishes. This is bad right now. So much worse than I had anticipated which I always knew was a possibility. My one primary wish was that I wouldn't go before Bill because he would be so lost. But this, this empty house with all the reminders of Bill and even worse, all the memories that keep flooding my brain, so painful. I am so glad I called Glen yesterday (he lost his long time partner/husband a few weeks ago after thirty-four years together). It's bad for him too but how he's coping is just taking one day at a time. I know that's a cliche but that's all I can do now. But it is so hard to imagine my life without Bill. He has always been there (since I was 22 years old) for me. It's almost more than I can bear Mike. I'm just creeping along now. At least I can call the hospital and talk to him on FaceTime, but he's in and out of it. I'm not sure if he knows who I am. I so want him home for a little white longer. Make up for all those times I was annoyed with him and left him alone. Make his last days so happy. I'm not religious Mike but please pray for me. I need all the help I can get. So hard. So hard.
Ron
Ron, I feel so much for you. Losing one's loved one after so many years together is just terrible. But you must stay strong. Roderick
Oh, Ron, I am so sorry. I am thinking of you and Bill, and sending you the best vibes ever. Thank heavens for the kindness of the nurses caring for Bill. I know how difficult it is for you not to be there but at least he is surrounded by kind souls.
Ron:
Please keep us up to date.
Wishing Bill a speedy recovery.
Please, please reach out for help. Speak to the discharge coordinator and know of all the resources available to you and Bill. Reach out to the Veteran's Health Administration as well. I know you are reluctant to have anyone else in your home BUT we have to take care of you as well. Being a caregiver, as you know, can be tiresome. We have to take care of you as well. Allow you a little reprieve/me time.
Be well,
Victor
XOXO
Dear Ron
I am a long time reader and rarely comment on blogs but I have developed a fondness for you and Bill. I too am not religious but I believe life as a human is a test we must pass to move on to greater things. Try not to worry too much about what the future will bring because I know you and Bill are good people. You will be rewarded.
I do of course, wish you the very best and hope for the best outcome in your situation.
Remember, you and Bill are loved by many.
Best wishes to you both.
Jacinta (from the UK)
Oh my goodness Jacinta, your comment brought me to tears. Thank you sooo much for your heartfelt good wishes. I just talked to Bill on FaceTime at the hospital. He's still not the best but aware of me. He seems like he's still struggling to talk. He is hard of hearing so he can't hear me that well but he does know who I am. He did say he wants to die (he hates the situation he's in) then he got distracted by wanting a glass of water. I feel so bad for him. I hope I can get him home and get his heart condition (a-fib) under control.
Again, thank you for your very kind and generous comments. I didn't realize my blog was read by so many.
Ron
Victor,
Thank you for your advice. I will take it. I know I'm taking a lot on by being a full time caregiver but I cannot put Bill in a rehab. He would hate that and besides, with COVID, he would probably die of that.
Ron
"Tommy",
Thank you. Rough times here. Worst ever. But I knew this was going to happen eventually. Only way out of it is a sudden death.
Ron
Praying for peace and comfort.
Ron, your post is heartbreaking but beautifully expressed - it brought me to tears. Words of comfort seem futile at such difficult times - but you and Bill are in my thoughts and prayers. Your caring and devotion to Bill is so touching and admirable. I hope he will be home soon, so you can share more precious time together.
Be thankful for the 56 years that you've had together - that is a rare achievement. Stay strong, Ron, and be sure to take care of yourself. I'm glad you have friends and neighbors who can help. Much love, Jon
First of all sorry to hear the news. Be strong for Bill and for yourself. When it comes time to bring Bill home, you might want to
explore hospice. Most people think hospice is truly at the very end of life. And it is in many cases. The residential hospice in a
building usually is reserved for people in their last days. In home hospice can go on for months. They have criteria and if Bill improves
they will stop their services. But at first they offer extra help. Someone to come in and help with bathing, etc once a day,. A therapist
and if you want, a chaplain to visit. They also can pickup the cost of an adjustable bed and other aids. Hospice is by no means
full time help. It is a little extra that can maybe help you in your time of need. Also, as a veteran you could be eligible for an
aid and comfort allowance that could help pay for outside help to assist you. Many healthcare people are getting vaccines and
that's good if you bring in outside help.
Ron, You & Bill are in my thoughts and prayers. Although I never met you guys in person, it seems like I know you, men, very well via this blog. It ways, as I have read this blog, I see both of you & Bill as my gay heroes. God Bless & hang in there or just "stay strong."
Hi Ron:
Take care of yourself, you need you, to be there for Bill. I second the suggestion of home hospice, or home health - a little bit of help goes a long way. Most people are happier at home, you will have more quality time together at home. Take care, David
Hoping for a happy outcome. Sending strength and good vibes.
After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don’t believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +15068001647
you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS
Post a Comment