Thursday, April 02, 2020

Unemployment Up 6.6 Million and Other Thoughts During This Pandemic Crises



The unemployment insurance report came out this morning setting a new all time record with 6.6 million people filing for insurance payments. 

Last week's unemployment insurance report was three million, setting a new all time record that was quickly eclipsed by the report this morning's report. 

Last week I filed for unemployment insurance last week. Yesterday I received a notice from the Delaware Division of Unemployment Insurance. I will be receiving about two-thirds of my pay at the hotel where I've worked part-time for the last thirteen years.  I didn't even think I was eligible for unemployment insurance because I only work part-time. But when my manager called me last week to inform me I was being laid indefinitely he suggested that I file for unemployment.  I took his advice and now I'm glad I did. 

I am one of the lucky people in that I have other sources of income such as Social Security and several small pensions. But those payment just about cover our daily living expenses. I use my income from my hotel job to cover those unexpected expenses (which it seems happens with regularity) and little extravagances such as my quarterly trips with Pat, my Canadian Travel Buddy.  Pat and I won't be traveling anywhere anytime soon. I've already cancelled my flight to Palm Springs that was planned for April 12th. Our next trip was to Philadelphia at the end of May. We probably won't make that trip either.  Nor will I be able to take the trip to visit Pat in Canada at the end of August. I hope I can get a credit for my plane ticket that I already purchased.  I'm hoping by November we can meet up in Philadelphia for the trip we had planned for that date. I doubt it though.

This morning I was discussing with Bill all those folks who don't have other sources of income and who depend on their jobs to pay their rent or mortgage, food and other expenses. I hope they're able to file for unemployment insurance like I did and receive enough money to cover their expenses. I reminded Bill when we were paying rent and depending on our jobs for the money to pay the rent. I just can't imagine facing that situation.  

This morning I went to our local supermarket early, hoping to find some of my favorite items.  I was in luck because they one of my favorite Progresso soups, split pea. My absolute favorite Progresso soup is Tuscan Bean but I haven't seen that soup on the shelves since this pandemic began three weeks ago. I was also able to buy cucumbers and those small sweet tomatoes that I used to make my cucumber/onion/tomato salad. I was also able to buy my favorite drink Simply Limeade. Thankfully we don't eat much meat because most of those shelves were bare. Actually Bill doesn't eat any meat at all. I steam vegetables for him such as carrots, potatoes, and cabbage. The meat I eat is boneless chicken breast which I cut up in small pieces to make my signature chicken/white wine/veggie dish with sweet peppers, onions and stewed tomatoes. I was also able to buy fresh Artisan bread.  Bill got his ice cream, which he has two scoops every day. He also likes Stove Top stuffing which I made for him yesterday. I also got a bag of baking potatoes which I use to make baked potato Parmesan wedges. I'm running low on hummus though. I have hummus and Late July chips every day with my soup at lunch. I have plenty of food like beef and wine stew, and the aforementioned chicken wine and veggie entree in vacuum sealed bags in my freezer chest. I have a concern the food situation will get worse. For now we're doing fine. Not sure what the future holds though because this pandemic is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

I believe the only way we're going to get a handle on this pandemic is to test EVERYBODY.  Not just those who are showing severe symptoms. There are those who have contracted the coronavirus who have developed antibodies. We have to know who those people are.  Also we have to know who has the virus but doesn't know they have the virus and thus are infecting others. We can't quarantined the whole country indefinitely. Everybody has to be tested or else we're just flying blind. 

Pat and I are still planning on going to Palm Springs at some date in the future to prepare his condo. When that date is, I do not know. I always preface my statements with him when we talk about this subject, "assuming we survive this pandemic."  What concerns me are the stories of how many otherwise healthy people are stuck and quickly succumb to a serious illness and a ventilator. This virus doesn't discriminate. 

Stay safe everyone!

7 comments:

"Tommy" said...

Hang in there Ron....

Ron said...

You too Tommy

Anonymous said...

Ron:

I did notice the picture of you and Bill in the upper right-hand corner of your blog. If we don't laugh we're going to cry.

I love my Progresso soups as well. I tend to lean towards the low sodium offerings. In fact, I have Progresso soup on the stove now-Savory Chicken & Wild Rice. Split pea you say. Yes, I have had it in the past but it is not a soup I will run out and buy.

Glad you will be receiving your unemployment soon. Don't forget your one-time check from Uncle Sam. The requirement is that you filed within the last two years and opted for direct deposit. The Big Fat Orange One wants to sign those checks. But no one told him that the vast majority are going to be direct deposit.

Believe it or not, some folks will be saving money during this time. They are working from home but not spending anything on entertainment, gas, eating out and the like.

Continue to be safe out there.

Victor
XO

ItsyBitsy Living said...

So glad you are able to get some help with unemployment. I worked part time for a non profit that did not have to pay into it in my state. So i can not apply.

Keep posting and letting us know how you and your partner are doing.

Ron said...

Victor,
Glad you noticed the picture of me and Bill laughing. I think that was taken last year at our neighbor's house. We always had a good relationship with her. Unfortunately she passed away a few months ago after battling COPD for years. In a way I'm glad she missed this time of extra stress for her.
I have tried the low sodium offerings of Progresso soup. I find them a little too bland for me. However, I don't like a lot of salt in my soups either, that's why I would never eat one of those Lipton Onion Soup mixes. All salt.
I have noticed already I'm saving money during this time. That's a good thing!
Ron

Ron said...

ItsyBitsy Living,
Good to hear from another new reader! I didn't think I would be eligible le for unemployment because I worked part-time. Thus it was a pleasant surprise that I am. I'll take it. We can use the money to help with our expenses!
Thanks for the encouragement for me to keep writing my blog.
Ron

Ur-spo said...

The virus' lethality on folks viz. the utter lack of rhyme nor reason as to who dies/sick etc. illustrates the absurdity of life.
It is hard for thems who believe in a Divine heaven to justify its doings as a religious meaningful matter.

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...