Wednesday, October 02, 2019
Ron Expands His Bicycle Riding Horizons
Yesterday I loaded my bike on my new bike rack on my Subaru Forester and drove to nearby Cape Henlopen State Park.
Cape Henlopen has some wonderful bike trails.
I wanted to expand my bike riding horizons beyond my immediate neighborhood where I live.
I love riding my bike but I was yearning to expand my bicycle riding experience. While my neighborhood is fine for bike riding, it is limited. Cape Henlopen has a wonderful network of bike trails.
I've ridden my bike in my adjoining neighborhood of Oyster Rocks but that still wasn't enough. I wanted a more varied bike ride. Riding the trails in Cape Henlopen provided that experience.
When I used to visit Provincetown I always took advantage of their state park bike trails. It's been too long for me to take advantage of the free bike trails here, especially since it is nearby and free.
I love riding my bike. However, bike riding for me today is dangerous. My arthritis limits my flexibility for stopping my bike for an emergency. One of my biggest fears today is falling and injuring myself. I've done that too many times the past five years resulting injuries. We've had several deaths of bicyclists hit by motorists including a recent one of an experienced cyclist. That's why I don't want to ride my bike on roads or at least limit my bike riding on roads with speeding vehicles.
Another plus I've discovered riding my bike is that I'm using muscles I haven't used in years.
It's all good folks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labor Day Weekend
Photo of the back of my home here in southern Delaware taken at 1:26 PM today - I may not have access to the boardwalk or a view of the o...
-
First of all, fair warning this is a cryptic post. No names are mentioned in order to protect the innocent (and guilty) and to avoid em...
-
Dr. Spo finally arrived (fashionably) and met his blogger friends at Cubby's VIP suite at the hotel. Anne Marie of Philly, Ja...
-
In college I majored in marketing. I loved that major. Unfortunately I did not pursue a career in marketing. But that doesn't men tha...
6 comments:
That sounds like a great adventure, you're getting back into your old form. I read about the recent bike fatality, so tragic. I wonder how that might have been avoided. You're in the best part of Delaware but I daresay things are changing due to development. Be safe but keep biking!
Ivy
GREAT!! The key is to just move. I do believe that riding your bike will help you with your flexibility and balance. Don't be afraid. Being too cautious can cause an accident to come true. Just be safe and alert and you should be just fine. And yes, stay away from the maddening crowds. They do not have your safety in mind. Happing riding. PS- Riding also helps with mental relaxation.
Good for you!
Ivy Green,
You're right, I do live in the best part of Delaware but things are rapidly changing because of development. I can hardly get out of my development during the summer tourist rush to the beaches. I'm doing everything I can to bike safely inlacing staying out of traffic, reflector jacket and lights blinking front and back on my bike.
Ron
VRC-Do You!
Good advice about being too cautious can cause an accident come true. That's right! The more I bike I notice I am gaining more confidence and I think I am gaining more flexibility. I know one thing though, I truly enjoy riding my bike which I am doing almost every day now. So relaxing and I'm using those muscle that haven't been used in years.
Ron
Ur-Spo,
I'm surprise you don't ride a bike. I think you would enjoy it. Your only walks are with Harper though aren't they? You should try bike riding.
Ron
Post a Comment