Monday, October 28, 2019
Blood Test
This morning I had an 8:00 AM appointment for my "labs" or blood test. I get these blood tests every six months from the VA.
I've been getting these blood tests every six months for over twenty years now from the VA. I attribute these blood test to perhaps saving my life by detecting my prostate cancer. For that I am very thankful. Prior to getting these blood tests I walked my health care tightrope without a safety net. Prior to when I signed up for VA healthcare in 1998, it had been years (about thirty or more) since I had a blood test. Yes, I was very lucky I didn't have a serious health problem that went undetected.
Usually my blood test procedure goes smoothly, however not this morning. Oh no.
I checked in at the kiosk with my VA card at about 7:45 AM for my 8 AM appointment. I took my seat and waited. As the clocked ticked by I saw other vets come in, seated then called. No one called me.
I decided to wait until 8:30 then I would ask. 8:30 came around and no call. I approached the window and said "Could you check to see if I'm in the system?" The woman asked me "Did you check in?" I told her I did. She said "Did you check in the kiosk to the far right?" Well, actually I didn't. This is the THIRD time I've checked into the work kiosk.
I can't get it straight. Six months flies by and I forget which kiosk to check in for my labs. This is like when I go to my cardiologist office. There are two doors to go in. One to see my doctor and the other to take tests. Of course I ALWAYS go in the wrong door. Always.
Is it me? Well, yes.
I took out my VA card and checked into the correct kiosk. In less than five minutes I was called in for my labs.
Usually when I have the needle stuck in my arm I hardly feel it or worse, a little prick (no pun intended). This morning when the attendant stuck the needle in it HURT. And I mean HURT. He had to take three vials of my precious blood. HURT. Even after he bandaged me up and I left, driving home, it still hurt. In fact this hurt more than I can ever remember. It's still sore, but not as much, four hours later.
That's the start of my day folks, I apologize for the whining but I just had to vent. Now to go to work.
Have a great day everyone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labor Day Weekend
Photo of the back of my home here in southern Delaware taken at 1:26 PM today - I may not have access to the boardwalk or a view of the o...
-
First of all, fair warning this is a cryptic post. No names are mentioned in order to protect the innocent (and guilty) and to avoid em...
-
Dr. Spo finally arrived (fashionably) and met his blogger friends at Cubby's VIP suite at the hotel. Anne Marie of Philly, Ja...
-
In college I majored in marketing. I loved that major. Unfortunately I did not pursue a career in marketing. But that doesn't men tha...

6 comments:
After decades of regular blood draws to check on cholesterol etc. I still swoon with each poke. I can tell right away 'who is good' and if they are really attentive to the job at hand.
I dread getting blood taken. Deep,narrow veins and it scares the techs as the vein usually stops giving blood. When I get a person who can take my blood the first time, I heap praise upon them.
I must go tomorrow for my standard 8-week test at LabCorp.
lar
Ur-spo,
Almost always here is no pain to the needle inject. Occasionally a slight little prick but usually the procedure is painless. This guy yesterday just jammed in the needle. It hurt me all day and night. The pain has finally subsided now, thirty-six hours later. I'll keep my eye out for that guy the next time and refuse. I can do that.
Ron
Lar
I know how much you hate getting needles poked into your arm. I hope your blood drawing isn't as painful as mine was.
Ron
angie,
I have good, visible veins, thankfully. There was no excuse for what happened to me yesterday.
Ron
Post a Comment