Friday, October 19, 2018

Megamillions Lottery Jackpot



The Megamillions lottery jackpot is estimated to be one billion dollars.  That's right - ONE BILLION DOLLARS!

The cash payout would be 565 million.  Oh yes, winning that amount of money would change one's life.

Wednesday I purchased five Megamillions lottery tickets. This is the first time I've purchased a Megamillions lottery ticket. In the past I've purchased the Powerball tickets.  

I don't play regularly anymore.  I did when I first moved to Delaware and was carrying a $100,000 mortgage on our house. A thirty year mortgage that would be paid off until I was ninety five years old.  Then I was buying six tickets a week.  Most I ever won was $7.00.  I still have that five inch stack of lottery tickets downstairs in my storage room just in case I win a lottery.  I keep them as a reminder of the folly of purchasing lottery tickets.

But I have to tell you folks, the chance of winning a half a billion dollars was just too much to pass up.  Not that I need the money, I don't.  An inheritance from my Mother paid off my mortgage.  I have everything I need, except maybe youth but I have everything else.  

I have all the toys I need.  I have loving and loved partner of fifty-four years, my Bill.  I have a loving friend that I've looked for all my life, Pat.  I have a great job to help pay for the extras like trips and more Apple toys.  I have a perfect home and a lovely yard out back that satisfies all my green thumb needs.

So what would I do if I won all that money?  Well, first I would set up million trust funds for all my immediate relatives; two brothers and twenty-two nieces and nephews (at last count, my brothers are very prolific even though I'm not at reproducing progeny).  Then I would set up million trust funds for a select group of my friends.  Yes, I would duplicate that fictional character of that Fifties TV show "The Millionaire".  Many of you are probably too young to remember the name of that millionaire so I will inform you.  His name was John Beresford Tipton.  




Yes folks, that's what I would do if I won the Megamillions lottery jackpot, I would be the new millionaire who changes people's lives for the better.  Note, no charities, individual people and trust funds, not a lump sum cash.  And oh, I would treat myself of course.  Say a nice home in West Hollywood. A getaway in Palm Springs.  And a nice condo in Hamilton, Ontario Canada where my good buddy Pat lives.  

Of course I doubt if I will win this lottery. The odds are just too great.  But what playing the lottery is all about is buying dreams.  Even though these tickets cost me $10, and I don't win, at least that $10 bought me dreams, even if for just a little while.  

But you know what folks?  I am convinced that before I check out I will win something big.  Maybe not this one, but I will win.  I have led a charmed life.  And even if I don't win one of these lotteries, I consider I've already won life's lottery with Bill and Pat in my life.  

UPDATE: I didn't win! The winning numbers were:  15 23 53 65 70  07*

The new estimated jackpot is 1.6 billion. Folks, that is TOO MUCH MONEY. I'm going to take a pass on this one, maybe.

8 comments:

Harry Hamid said...

I hope you win. I don't buy lottery tickets, but I would feel some small personal victory in saying that I had long followed the blog of someone who later won a billion dollars.

Jon said...

I honestly don't know what I'd do with that much money. It sure as heck comes in handy but I don't have as many needs or wants as I did when I was younger. I'd probably just build a new home here on the property that I already have. And I'd be generous with my relatives and a few friends. As long as you're happy and content, Ron - you've already won life's lottery.

Ron said...

Harry,
Looks like I didn't win. If I did I would spread some your way for sure.
Ron

Ron said...

Jon,
I have already won't life's lottery. I couldn't ask for anything more than Bill and Pat. Literally, if I had my choice of anyone in the world, it would be Pat. We are so evenly matched and even after five years, he turns me on more than anyone I have every met in my life. He is literally my fantasy come true. And I have all of the other necessities of life to live comfortably. If I won, my greatest joy would be to spread the money around in trust funds to those I care for so they would never have another money worry in life. Of course you would be on that list Jon. I would love to give you enough funds to build your dream home in those beautiful Tennessee mountains where you live now.
Ron

Joel Reisteter said...

Ron, I've always taken that advice of my gene-pool distant relative, Paul, once wrote more that a half-century ago, "Money Can't Buy Me Love" and play smart. I have learned over sixty years that money can't buy me real long-term happiness, either. However, with a $2 bet on one game, I pulled in $200. A big 28 seconds of fun, and 2 seconds of happiness.

Ur-spo said...

Count me out.

Ron said...

Dr. Spo,
I just threw away another $20 this morning buying five Megamillions and Powerball tickets. I'm convinced that I'm going to win eventually on one of these tickets. Maybe not a Powerball or Megamillions (oh it would be nice though) but maybe a scratch off ticket. The reason I believe is that I always knew I would meet someone like Pat and it did happen. I knew that would happen. I also know that I'm going to win a lottery ticket. It's going to happen.
Ron

Ron said...

Joel,
I agree with you 100% that money can't buy happiness. But I still wouldn't mind winning millions so I can make other people's lives more secure and maybe happiness will follow.
Ron

Labor Day Weekend

  Photo of the back of my home here in southern Delaware taken at 1:26 PM today -  I may not have access to the boardwalk or a view of the o...