|Dame Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess, Violet Crawley|
Oh let me count the ways. "Downton Abbey" is like a treasure chest, precious jewels and gold, An overflowing abundance of riches. Which gem to I choose first?
Well folks, this is easy; I LOVE "Downtown Abbey" because of Dame Maggie Smith.
Watching an actress like Dame Maggie you forget she's acting. There are very few actresses who can accomplish this feat so effortlessly and who are such joy to watch. Bette Davis and Meryl Streep are two who come to my mind.
|Shirley's face says it all - as does Dame Maggie's - NO MATCH|
Most actresses cannot come even close to Dame Maggie's excellence. Recently the renown American actress Shirley MacLain made a much touted appearance on "Downtown Abbey" as a foil to match Dame Maggie's character, the Dowager Countess of Grantham. Sorry Shirley, I love you babe but your stint opposite Dame Maggie just didn't work. Poor Shirley looked like a drag queen dolled up in her vintage Twenties vintage costume.
|Not working Shirley|
Oh I was so hoping for a real match up with these two legendary actresses. Regrettably it was not to be.
Next week I will watch the next episode of "Downtown Abbey".
- Will Thomas put the make on Jimmy?
- Can Jimmy be seduced?
- Will Bates ever get cleared and get out of prison (and end this BORING storyline?)
- Will Lady Grantham let Lord Grantham in her bedroom again?
- Will Ethel reclaim her virtue and become a good cook for Lady Crawley's household?
- Will Lady Edith ever marry?
- Will Mrs. Hughes find if she has cancer?
- Will Mr. Carter ever have enough footmen?
- Will Branson make up his mind if he's a member of the aristocracy or an Irish Rebel
- Will Daisy find true love?
- Will Mrs. Patmore get a microwave?
Just a few questions inquiring minds want to know folks. That last question wasn't serious, just testing you to make sure you're a true follower of "Downton Abbey."
|The Dowager Countess with her granddaughters Lady Mary, Lady Edity and Lady Sybil|
I'll write more about "Downton Abbey" in future blog posts.
Sure, I know this is just an overhyped costume drama but I'm telling you folks, I love a show with great acting, great casting, lavish sets, and - this is important - no graphic violence and sex. Oh what a relief it is not to see some pretty boy (or pretty girl) holding a gun with both hands shooting at somebody which much of American made movies (and TV) pass off for entertainment these days.
Memo to American producers, take a tip and watch Dame Maggie Smith. This is true entertainment.
|Love you Dame Maggie|