| Me and Bill November 12, 2017 at our neighbor's house |
Two days ago, April 24th, marked two months since Bill died.
I have to say I'm in a much better place now than I was two months ago when I was awoken at 12:33 AM by a phone call from Delaware Hospice informing me that Bill had passed away at 12:20 AM. Even though I was expecting that call, it still came as a shock to me.
The following days and weeks I operated on automatic for what is expected of the surviving spouse of a long time relationship.
At first I was lost. After caring for Bill full-time since his strokes in early January of 2021, I had gotten used to the Caregiver Routine. After Bill died, all of a sudden I was cut loose from my caregiving responsibilities. I thought I would feel relived but I didn't. I felt that I had failed Bill because he died in spite of all I could do for him.
The last two months have been a whirlwind of a haze.
I took care of the final arrangements. Bill's ashes are downstairs in his bedroom. They will stay there until I die at which time they will be buried with me or my ashes scattered with his. One thing is for sure, Bill and I will be together again, both physical and spiritually.
Slowly but surly I am getting accustomed to my new life without Bill. I will always feel his loss, that goes without saying. But I can now see that I have a new life. I don't know how much longer I have to live but I do see that I can somewhat relax now.
In a couple weeks I will be hosting longtime friends Jack and Judy D., who were witness to me and Bill's wedding in 2013. I am looking forward to seeing them again. They will be here for two nights. Jack and Judy used to live nearby here in southern Delaware. They live in Pennsylvania now.
Next month I will be hosting my friend Glenn M. from Palm Springs, California and Pat from Canada. Glenn and Pat will be here for a week then we all visit our friend Don M. in Philadelphia. Again, much looking forward to getting together with my friends Glenn, Pat and Don.
For all those who have lost dear loved ones, I can attest that it does get better. Of course I'll never be the same for the rest of my life but I am comforted by the fact that Bill is in a much better place now. He is no longer suffering like he did the last few years of his life, especially the last weeks and days and hours. His passing wasn't peaceful. That will always bother me the rest of my life. Just last week, after ten years of sitting in committee the Delaware State legislature passed the right to die bill. That means that if the prognosis of one is less that six months to live (two doctors to attest to this), a terminally ill person can self-administer medication to end their life in a humane and dignified manner, if a physical or health professional agree the patient is acting voluntarily and understands their decision. Bill wanted to end his life this way but was prevented from doing so by our antiquated laws. We have more humanity towards putting our pets out of their misery than we do human beings. Bill did not die in a dignified manner. He was terribly stressed out. Not to discount the hospice care, they did the best they could but Bill did suffer horribly at the end and his last days certainly weren't dignified. Now all the Delaware State senate has to do is finalize the passage of this right to die bill and I can relax knowing that when my time comes, I won't die like Bill did. And you know what folks? I think Bill's spirit had something to do with this bill finally coming to a vote in the Delaware senate. His spirit (and yes, I do believe his spirit is still with me) knew how distressed I was to see him suffer so and he didn't want me to go through the same barbaric way of dying that he had to endure. Yes, I believe Bill had a hand in that bill finally moving to becoming law. Bill spent all of his fifty-nine years watching out for me. And now here at the end, this will be his final gift to me.
9 comments:
I’m happy you are adjusting positively to your new life and that you are looking forward to the things to come, especially the upcoming visits. I hope the Delaware right-to-die bill becomes law and other states will follow their example. I hope you will keep us up to date on this and everything going on in your life also. I enjoy hearing about your life activities.
Jim
Jim.
Thank you for you comments. I have always enjoyed my blog and gladly will keep you and everyone else who enjoys my blog of my life updates. What a journey I've had and continue to have. Hopefully many years to go.
Ron
Vic,
You're right, Bill did not enjoy having company. Although Bill was very likable, he loved the privacy of his home life with me. I do like to have company, occasionally. I am looking forward to having company. A nice change.
Ron
Hello !!
My name is Garrett, I messaged you a while back on Ancestry about family tree stuff. (I don't know if you even saw it, but if you didn't, no worries.) I remember reading about your blog and finding it so interesting, I always loved reading about people's lives and I found it extra cool to read about someone I'm distantly related to. The reason I re-found your blog is because I decided to look at some of the photos of my relatives in the tree - but the reason I decided to write today is because I was very sorry to hear about the loss of your partner Bill, and I wanted to wish my condolences.
Thank you for making your blog, and I hope to follow along more in the future.
Hi Garrett,
First, my apologies for not getting back to you for your messaging on my Ancestry.com account. I rarely read those messages because I just don't seem to have the time. Maybe someday. Thank you for your condolences on the loss of my husband Bill Kelly. He was my life. I'm struggling to go on without him now. It's not easy. But I do see glimmers of a light of a new life for myself without him which I will continue to post about on my blog. Thank you again for your comment.
Ron
I cannot believe it has been 2 months, Ron, since Bill passed on. Glad you are having company in the house. Sometimes I feel if I'm kept busy w/things (getting the house ready, etc.) takes my mind off of other things; I tend to get "stuck" in my thoughts. Will be a nice change for you. And the visits will be short (I hope), and that is nice also!
Hope to god that bill passes. I think it is the most wonderful idea. The thought that we have to linger in such pain is ridiculous. My friend's mom had a stroke; took her 9 long, horrible years to "die." Was awful. I don't understand how people have a problem w/the right-do-die movement. It is so heavily regulated, I really don't think there is room for the shenanigans people think might occur.
Take care!
Elle,
I was so relieved to read that the right to die bill is finally moving through the Delaware State House. Now for the Delaware Senate to pass it. I'm afraid of dying, just how I'm going to get there. It is just horrible to imagine having a stroke and be in a vegetative state for nine years before you die.
Ron
I was referred to your blog by Cathy in Australia. My partner died last week but suddenly. It is late night here but tomorrow I will delve deeper into your loss and maybe it will be helpful for me.
Andrew,
I am glad your friend Cathy referred you to my blog. First my sincere condolences to you for the loss of your husband. Of course you know words are inadequate at a time like this. However, I believe we can be of help to each other by talking. Talking with others, especially those who have recently lost loved ones, has so far gotten me through this most awful time of my life. I have my own little grief support group which I invite you to join via Zoom. I will leave this comment on your blog also. In my support group is Glenn M. (Palm Springs, CA) who lost his long-time partner (36 years). Also my friend Pat F. of Hamilton, Ontario Canada. Just us three now. Last month my longtime friend Renee lost her husband of seventeen years. She has joined us occasionally. Talking helps, especially with others in similar situations.
Ron
Post a Comment