Saturday, October 14, 2023

Thoughts On A Rainy Fall Saturday

 



Life goes on here at Casa Tipton-Kelly. 

Yesterday I had my annual HVAC heater checkup. Whereas in the past these annual checkups have resulted in little if no cost, this year I wasn't so lucky. I wasn't surprised after being hit with so many unexpected large bills this year. This visit set me back $1,652. 

Here is the breakdown folks

Install 24v Plasma Pure Air Purifier     $883.00

Install new burner(s), flame sensor & igniter in gas furnace                                                    769.00


"Steve" (the service person), showed me pictures of my old burner and it did need replaced. The air purifier also needed replacement. The picture of the old one looked bad, probably why I've been having so many sneezing attacks and runny noses the past several months. 

I could tell the difference almost immediately. The heating element is working much more efficiently and I can breath again. So I don't feel like I was "taken" of these replacements weren't necessary. I can justify this expense. I don't feel as bad about this as I did as replacing my perfectly good tires on my car for almost a $1,000 because of a leak caused by a big nail could no longer be contained.

Then there is the situation in Israel. I've watched a lot of coverage included too many graphic photos and videos of the death and destruction. What an awful situation and there seems to be no solution to that problem they're having over there. I just can't imagine living like that. And who is to fault? Sure, it's "complicated" but can we say religion has a lot to do with it? Sure, we can. 

Look, I was brought up Christian in the Southern Baptist church. I fell away from the church when I was about eleven years old when I had the shit scared out of me by a red faced, foaming at the mouth Pentecostal screaming at me and everyone else at his Sunday service that I was attending with one of my favorite aunts. 

"YOU'RE ALL SINNERS!

"YOU'RE BORN IN SIN!" 

"YOU WILL BE SINNERS UNTIL YOU DIE!"

Yep, that what this religious hate zealot was screaming at a very impressionable eleven year old who heretofore attended Sunday school classes where I was taught all about "Christian values." 

You know, "Love thy neighbor" and "Turn the other cheek" propaganda. Didn't take me too long to figure out "What chance to I have? I'm just a sinner."

I watch the TV and see these Muslims killing innocents including children and babies. The oh so holy Muslims who believe all other religions are infidels and should be put to death. Fuck them!

Then I watch the Israelis do exactly what the Germans did to them during World War II. To do "collective punishment" of Palestinians who live in Gaza for the atrocities committed by the Hamas terrorists. Fuck them. 

I've come to believe that religion has caused more death and destruction in this world than all the famines combined. Look at what the European colonizers did to the New World Indians when they "emancipated" them. They just about wiped out the Indians converting them to their false Christian religion.

I can understand those who find comfort in religion and that's the way they get through their life. What I don't understand or accept is those who condemn others who don't believe in their religion. I don't force my atheism on anybody. "Live and let live" is my modus operandi in life.  

So I will continue to live out the end of my days on this earth here in this peaceful corner of earth where President Biden's summer home is only four miles away from Casa Tipton-Kelly. And I will continue to be thankful that I can live a peaceful life here in spite of our many physical challenges as our bodies age. 

But my heart goes out to all those innocents who are caught in the crossfire on both sides in the Israeli and Palestinian conflict. I hope for peace but I know in my heart that isn't possible. That situation has been that way my whole life and it isn't going to miraculously change in whatever time I have left.


4 comments:

VRCooper said...

Look at you PREACHING on a Saturday. Save the heat for Sunday.

I support your thesis about the circumstances in Israel, Gaza, and the region.

I was boiling things down to someone the other day and said religion has been stirring up shit for years/centuries. The light went on in her head. I like you have no issue with one following their religion, their "god" but damn it don't come into my space and pontificate that I should join you. No thanks. Been there, done that.

I have great empathy for the Palestinians and Israelis, and we can't forget the hostages. I don't want to type a term paper but Israel has been treating the Palestinians like shit for years. And now they want to go into the Gaza Strip and flatten it to eradicate Hamas? Come on!! The Gaza Strip has been called an "open-air prison." Cory Booker was in the region last week to take advantage of an opportunity to discuss a two-state solution. As per usual Hamas put a wrench in things. Complicated solutions but doable if damn religion wasn't standing in the way.

Glad you completed some maintenance on the home as we head into the winter months when the house is closer up than usual. I have always been one to open things up to let fresh air in even in the winter months. For sure you will definitely be toasty and breathing better this winter.

Be well dear!!

Tell Bill hi!!

XO

Victor

Ur-spo said...

ouch ouch to all of this.

Ron said...

Victor,
I agree with you that Israel has been treating the Palestinians like second class or lower citizens for years. There has to be a two state solution. Flattening and expelling the Palestinians (and killing them all) isn't the answer.
The air purifier appears to be working wonders with our air quality in our house. I am so happy. No more runny noses. I thought I was allergic to someone in the air in this house. This appears to be the solution. Now if I could do something about Bill's swelling problem. Alas, there doesn't appear to be an easy answer.
More home maintenance, repaving the driveway has to be done. I tried repairing the cracks but that isn't working. Time to call the professionals in and have the driveway done right. More expense.
Thanks as always for your comments Victor. Always appreciated.
Ron

Ron said...

Ur-spo,
Indeed!
Ron

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...