Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Let's Do It Again

 

Little "Ronnie Tipton", 1st Grade 1946

Do you believe in reincarnation? I do.

I think I'm about to repeat my life cycle again. This picture, which I have posted several times before on this blog, is my first grade elementary school photo. The year was 1946. I was five years old.

I remember clearly when I was four years old, before I started first grade, that I was beginning my journey again. 

Now that I am approaching the end of this life cycle (and believe me, I feel the end coming soon), I am actually looking forward to what awaits me.

Of course I don't believe in the conventional wisdom of Heaven and Hell. That's all man made up propaganda to keep the Great Unwashed Masses under control. Please don't take offense to those of you who find comfort in your religion but this is my belief. The only thing that makes sense to me. 

I do believe this body we posses is only an "overcoat". We wear it until it wears out or is accidentally destroyed then the spirit or soul or whatever you want to call it that inhabits this frame of a body is set loose to the endless ends of the universe and beyond. I hate to burst anyone's bubble but there is no old man with a white beard clothed in a white toga (a la Charleton Heston) awaiting us at St. Peter's Gate to pass judgement on us. Again, all man made myth to control the masses.

What I do know is that I have had quite a journey in this life cycle. In a few weeks I'll be 82 years old. Way past my Sell By Date. Most of my friends and relatives that I knew are long gone. Bill and I survive but once Bill goes (he's 95 now and not long to go for him either), I will feel tremendously alone. 

These days I do a lot of thinking about my past memories. So many good memories. So many good things that happened to me. Me, of no particular talent or intelligence but I do on occasion have a knack for endearing myself to some people. 

Of course I've had a few unpleasant memories but nothing of any consequence. Lots of close calls. So lucky. 

One of the main things I will remember about my life is the kindness often shown to me by so many in my path through this iteration of life. I will never forget them. I am so appreciative of them, especially now knowing the positive role they played in my life.

I was triggered to do this post this morning but a Facebook post of an acquaintance who challenged her readers to remember their fifth grade teacher. I remember all my teachers folks. ALL OF THEM. 

I REMEMBER EVERYBODY.

I have had the question asked "Do you have any regrets?"

Absolutely!

I sure do wish I could have a Do Over on a lot of choices I made but then again, that is what life is about isn't it? Always learning and trying to do better. 

So the day will come when I close my eyes, never to open them again in this body. This body which is increasingly failing me. The one thing I always had was walking. The last year or so I find that I am losing that ability to walk normally, like I did for the past eighty or so years.

I am so thankful that I haven't lost my vision like Bill. That I can still swallow my food unlike Bill who chokes on every swallow of liquified oatmeal and egg custard that is his only food intake now. 

My brain is still working reasonably well but I am definitely more forgetful, misplacing things. Forgetting names (but not my elementary school teachers)!

"Another One Bites The Dust" is playing right now on my playlist that I use to accompany me when I write these blog posts. How appropriate! 

I'm ready. 


No comments:

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...