[Verse 1]
Summertime
And the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin'
And the cotton is high
Oh, your daddy's rich
And your ma is good-lookin'
So hush, little baby
Don't you cry
[Verse 2]
One of these mornings
You're going to rise up singing
Then you'll spread your wings
And you'll take the sky
But 'til that morning
There's a'nothing can harm you
With daddy and mammy standing by
One of the many joys of summertime is visiting the local fruit and vegetable stand in nearby Milton. I always get the same thing, half a dozen ears of corn and a quart of fresh peaches.
Occasionally I get bruised tomatoes to make fresh tomato soup (haven't done that this year yet) but I always get the fresh corn and peaches.
I've been going there so many years that some of the people know who we are, the Two Old Guys. One lady especially is always so friendly to us. She's a mom with four young kids but I don't know anything else about here. She told me her name sometime ago but I forget. I'll have to ask her again.
![]() |
| The kind lady at our local fruit and vegetable stand who is also so nice to me and Bill |
She remembers Bill before his strokes, when he was healthy. He always flirted with her as he does with most women he comes into contact with. A harmless flirtation because I'm sure they know we're a gay couple but when he calls them "beautiful" and "lovely", they love it and the world is a better place by this lighthearted camaraderie.
When Pat was visiting a few weeks ago, I had him drive me to their fruit and veggie stand to show him one my local favorite places. She was surprised to see me in a car other than my 2010 red Subaru Forester and especially concerned when she didn't see Bill. She thought something awful happened. When I assured her that Bill was fine and at home and I was just visiting with a friend, she was so relieved. This short video is of her talking to Bill during my visit to replenishment of corn and peaches a couple days ago.
With all the horrible things going in in the world (Ukraine) and this country (Trump MAGA traitors trying to destroy our democracy) it is so nice to have this little island of "Nice."
Thank you young lady for your kindness to Bill and to me over the years.

2 comments:
I have always found the dearest, sweetest people in some of the oddest places. Its called human kindness and this would be a much better world if it was practiced more. I normally visit a local farm stand and buy thick rind watermelon and yellow tomatoes. I love to make watermelon rind pickle to eat along with my chicken salad and hotwater cornbread. The yellow tomato I use to make old fashioned yellow tomato preserve. The tomato preserve is great served with fried pork chops, fried chicken and as a glaze on anything or spread on top of cream cheese and served on a cracker. It can't be beat when served on warm biscuits or bread. This year I am not able to go to the market so I sent a friend. My friend came back with the watermelon and 10 pounds of tomatoes when I only needed 5 pounds. The brown paper sack was signed by the owners and their son and had a note with a phone number to call and they would be happy to deliver my order anytime and no delivery charge. My friend said the owners of the farm market really missed me and they wished me well and hoped I returned in person soon maybe yet this fall for apples. But they were gifting me the produce I wanted today and they wouldn't take a cent from me. Ron, you see there is true human kindness out there in this "world gone crazy". Our two expeiences that just happened to take place at a farm market made three "mature" men, two in Delaware and one in Ohio, very happy. Be Safe. Be Happy! Adieu.
Woody,
What a nice story about the owners of your favorite farmer's market supplying you with those things you like. I too have always found the "dearest, and sweetest people in some of the oddest places." Gives me hope.
Your favorite pickled watermelon rind along with your chicken salad and hotter cornbread sounds delicious. Yesterday I made some of my special potato salad. I LOVE my potato salad during these hot weather days. I also love pasta salad. I wish I could send you some of my potato salad, it's simple but delicious.
Ron
Post a Comment