Monday, August 01, 2022

Ron Gets Hearing Aids!

 



This morning I got my new hearing aids! 

Last year I noticed that I couldn't hear quite as well as I used to. My hearing isn't as bad as Bill's but I was missing a lot that I didn't realize. For instance, I couldn't hear the turn signal clicker on my car. When I watched my Netflix DVD's, it seemed that I could never get the volume up high enough. I guess I was in denial for a long time, comparing my hearing loss with Bill's. Bill's is much worse. My hearing problem finally came to the fore last month when I almost completely lost the hearing in my right ear because of ear wax buildup. That put a scare into me. Thus when I went to my audiologist to get that impacted ear wax cleaned out (and it was a big buildup) I took a hearing test. Yes, the audiologist discovered that I was missing the high pitches.

What a revelation when the audiologist put in my hearing aids. Almost as much a rebirth as my new cataract surgery! Now to get used to this new sense. I mean I hear everything, even my feet scrapping the walkway outside to our front doorway. Everything! 

I hear the birds tweeting. I hear sound form my car engine when I pulled my car into our garage which I haven't heard in years. At first I thought there was something the matter with my car then I remembered from long ago, that's the sounds my car's engine makes when I turn it off.

Now to get my new DIRECTV Genie. I can't stand watching and listening to TV with commercials!


1 comment:

Woody in Ohio said...

It is great to "hear" you so happy. Sometimes I don't think the families of "olde folks" don't realize how serious our hearing is to our well being. I have had many dear old friends who suffered with hearing loss. One first Wednesday of the month at noon the emergency warning sirens were being tested. My friend didn't hear it at all. The siren was just outside on a pole and it could be seen from were we were sitting. A couple of others who were present could barely hear it. I could hear the siren just fine and it was so loud it was unconfortable. So being me I mentioned to their family members about the hearing loss I witnessed. One son said dad has lost 2 sets of hearing aides and they were not spending anymore money on them. The families said they would think about what I was telling them about. I said hey you just do not get it. If dad dies in a fire or a tornado how are you going to explain to his friends we didn't want to spend the money for new replacement hearing aids? In the end I purchased the new hearing aids and not one thank you or kiss my ass from his son. The others just had a wax build up and no hearing aids needed YET. I hope this comment makes some think about the quality of their hearing and how it is a safety and security issue, too! Be safe. Be happy! Adieu.

Labor Day Weekend

  Photo of the back of my home here in southern Delaware taken at 1:26 PM today -  I may not have access to the boardwalk or a view of the o...