![]() |
| One of Bill's hospice nurses taking his blood pressure, which is normal now thank goodness! |
After fourteen months on home hospice care, yesterday Bill's hospice nurse and I determined to discharge him from home hospice care.
The reason was that Bill's conditioned has "stabilized." That means he's not getting worse.
Bill still needs my assistance in dressing, showering, preparing his meals and administering his medications. Because of his blindness (macular degeneration) and cognitive damage because of his strokes he will always need someone to assist him in his daily routine.
I was worried about getting him off of home hospice care because if he had another stroke, both of us didn't want him to go through what he went through last year trying to save his life. Save his life they did for which both of us are very thankful but no more. The main reason being because of Bill's blindness. He can't do what he used to do. So often Bill gets depressed because he can't read or do his projects which he used to love so much doing. Now he feels he has no purpose in life. I try to get him focused on the many positive things we still have in our life. Most days I'm successful.
However, I need not to worry. Bill's hospice nurse told me yesterday that if Bill starts to fail he can go back on home hospice care. She said that is a lifetime benefit of Medicare. Wow, what a relief that is for both of us. If Bill had another stroke that doesn't cause his death, neither one of us wants extraordinary measures to keep him alive. May sound harsh, but that is our decision. We've both had long, good lives. Oh sure, a few bumps here and there but overall we have been extremely blessed with a good life. When our time comes, we will be ready.

6 comments:
It’s good to hear that Bill has stabilized, apparently doing better. It’s also good to know he can get the hospice care resumed when he needs it in the future. As I’ve said before though, I don’t want to and don’t intend to exist as he is having to do now. I really don’t consider that ‘living’. If I can’t take care of myself and I can’t do the few things I enjoy doing, I don’t want to be here.
Sounds like a loving and carefully made decision based on his values, all too often we prolong the suffering, rather than enhance the time remaining.
Anonymous,
I agree with you 100%! "If I can't take care of myself and can't do the few things I enjoy doing, I don't want to be here." That is a good mantra for living. Quality of life, that's what I'm all about. I don't ask much but I do want some control over my life. If I'm a helpless invalid, I'm out of here.
Thanks for your comment t.
Ron
Travel (David),
Yes, we did make a loving and carefully made decision. I was relieve to know that we can always go back on hospice care if needed. I have a feeling though that Bill will outlive us all. I can't worry about that now. If I go before he does, he'll just have to deal with it.
Ron
Please make sure Bill has a living will, a DNR, and a DNI. Have copies in the house… my parents kept copies in a large ziploc bag on the fridge… and carry them with you when you leave the house.
My parents both had these docs, but my dad had a heart attack in the ER when he was helping my mom. The drs didn’t know and they resuscitated him, then he had a second heart attack and they put him on life support. Ugh. Not what he wanted. Then it was up,to me to,stop the life support. Terrible stuff.
Yes people go in/out of hospice this is more frequent than it sounds
I am glad you two are prepared with all things.
Post a Comment