Time for a rant folks.
Regular followers of my blog know how I like to rant but I haven't done one in so long. But last night I was watching a movie and I noticed something that so angered me I just have to rant about it. So get ready folks, here goes.
Last week I bought some DVD's at the local thrift store for a dollar. One of them was "The Day The Earth Stood Still." Normally I wouldn't watch a movie like this because there is nothing there except CGI and a ridiculous plot (even if there is a plot). But last night I just didn't want to watch any more of the MSNBC shows because they were having a glitch with commercials interrupting the regular show. So I thought I would wallow in the trash and watch the movie "The Day The Earth Stood Still", knowing that I would learn nothing from it except for what I guess was the message, "Peace in the world." Who doesn't want peace? Apparently a lot of folks in this world don't including some Americans but I digress.
So here we go.
The movie opens with Keanu Reeves struggling in a snow storm in the Himalayan Mountains and he comes across a "something" that just landed in the snow storm from space. He enters the "thing" them the movie is transported to the present (2008 time that movie was made). A warning goes out to gather all these "experts" because the United States knows a "thing" from outer space is going to land on New York City. Of course the movie has to focus on someone and this person is the actress Jennifer Connelly, she of the heavy eyebrows.
The action picks up and then slows down when she begins interacting with her stepson, a biracial boy of about ten years old. Oh, okay. Politically correct movie, I get it. But the movie slows down every time she interacts with this kid with the cock rooster hairdo because he can't act. His acting is wooden. I can't get past the hairdo. But that's me.
Then the movie picks up again and lots of action. Then it goes back to the cock a doodle hair do kid. What? Every time it goes back to this kid I'm thinking "What does he have to do with this movie?" I saw the original movie back in the Fifties and I don't remember this character and what he has to do with the plot of the movie.
The action picks up again only to again revert back to this bratty kid. WHAT? So now I have to look up who this kid is. And I find out. He is Jaden Smith, the SON OF ACTOR WILL SMITH. You all know Will Smith, the actor at the Academy Awards who thought it was alright to walk up on the stage at the Academy Awards and assault Chris Rock, the comedian who made a lame joke about Will Smith's wife. Yes, THAT Will Smith who showed his true thug colors by thinking it was alright to assault another human being in prime time and then strut back to his seat all proud of himself for protecting his woman Jada Pinkett Smith whose feeling were hurt by Chris Rock's joke. Then Will Smith not once but twice used the F word to respond to Chris Rock.
Will Smith, Hollywood royalty who obviously used his power to insert his son Jaden into this movie, "The Day the Earth Stood Still." It would be one thing is Jaden could act. He can't. But to subject the viewer to his push to make his son A STAR. Didn't work did it Will?
Will Smith put his son in more movies like "Happyland" or something like that but little Jaden still isn't a STAR is he?
Sometimes there is justice in this world. Will Smith, after his slapping incident, will no longer be able to insert his kids into movies. Especially roles that are created especially for their little darling kids.
I admit I generally don't like kids in movies. Most of them are brats in real life. Some are good but the majority of them I find BORING and irritating.
So when I found out why the kid was in that movie last night I did what I will always do when I don't like something, I ejected that movie.
Keep trying Will, but you blew it when you slapped Chris. Tell your kid to get a real job.



12 comments:
It kinda makes my day when I get to experience one of your rants. You can really get worked up about some things. I guess that's a good thing, helps to let off some steam sometimes. I can't get that worked up. When I encounter something like that I just shake my head and acknowledge that it really doesn't surprise me.
Jim
I love a good rant. Lord knows I can throw down a good one. To me, it all boils down to common sense. If you deviate from that then you have me wound up. It is just that simple.
Have we not learned from Disney/ Mickey Mouse Club, and other venues, how child stars turn out. Yes, I am sure there are a few that have survived and are now functional adults. Many times when I see child stars outside of their roles they seem to be acting. Not just being a kid.
Will Smith is a twat. I don't see the appeal. And his wife is no better. They remind me of Log Cabin Republicans. Trying to fit into a world that is not theirs. The slap should have cost him something-roles, fines, arrest... Their kids are spoiled rich kids who, with their parent's wealth, may never amount to anything and learn how to deal with the real world. Example-Paris Hilton. These kids believe THEIR success is their parents' success. No dear. no dear, you have done NOTHING to contribute to YOUR success. "Do you know who my father is?" Sit your ass down.
Rant done!!
I enjoyed your rant and I get it. I will say that you should not let the stupidity of movies and so called movie stars upset you so. You have seen real injustice in your lifetime, things that should have been changed You have lived with prejudice and being not seen for the human you are. You and Bill lived to see that you have value and make a difference in this world despite what others may have thought. You have worked hard, contributed to society in a positive way, built a life that most would be jealous of. We will always have people that are stupid, cruel and sometimes violent against others. Those are the ones we need to focus on. Will Smith, of his own accord, chose to damage his career by his stupid, careless actions. I will not waste my time on him. I would rather focus on continuing the fight for everyone to be accepted and respected, regardless of sexual/gender preferences, skin color or religion of choice. Let's focus on changing our own communities, so many still have so much to learn!
I read no rant here. Only a nice, calm, cool, and collected soft voice telling me not to see this low-brow so-called re-make. Ha! Ha! Ha! A good healthy rant like I read is appreciated by this commenter.
I don't remember seeing this re-make at all, so I don't know how much the characters were rewritten. I have seen the original 1953 film many many times on television, in a theater (3x), and internet streamed. I read Bate's original 1940 short story, Farewell To The Master.
Thank you very much for the heads-up on this 2008 so-called remake.
Hello! I read you daily(for years. Yes, YEARS! My youngest were both in elementaryschool when i came across your blog! They are now 25 and 27!), but have never commented, so first, let me say thank you for sharing your daily life with us. As a caregiver to both of my parents, there have been many times that I have felt less alone, after reading your daily updates, so thank you for that! Now...last week I read an article online, that Will Smith came out and said publicly that he felt that after this movie came out, and did poorly at the box office, that his son lost trust in him, and his judgements, as a leader of the family. As the story goes, apparently at the age of 15, the son had requested to be emancipated, and Will Smith felt that the fact that he had encouraged his son to be in this movie, and the resulting reviews were a contributing factor in the request. It was an interesting article, and was reprinted on many other websites. I do remember thinking to myself at the time, "well, Mr Smith, at this point, perhaps you should also be questioning your own judgement!". I have never see the movie myself, therefore, I can't comment on whether or not I would have enjoyed it, but from all accounts of my husband, 4 children, and various friends....I would not have. Anyways, again, I thank you, for this blog, for your daily updates, and much, much respect for you, in all that you do.
Sincerely, just a housewife from Ft Lauderdale!
Michele
Hey Jim,
Oh I have a lot of rants that I suppress and don't post because I don't want my blog to be all about negative. But those rants are always bubbling up inside of me and sometimes I just have to "share." This particular rant I had to post because I was fooled when watching this movie. Every time the movie went back to Jaden Smith's character, I thought "What does he have to do with the plot of the movie?" It was obvious that his character was inserted into this movie purely as a favor to Will Smith, Mr. Box Office. It's one thing if his kid had talent but this kid has ZERO talent. To me it was so obvious that his character in this movie was not needed. In fact it slowed down the pace of the movie. I wish these movies would give a disclaimer the next time they do a favor to their current box office champion and insert his kid(s) or girlfriend in a movie so at least we're forewarned before we watch the movie.
Ron
Vic (VCR Cooper),
Good rant! You said exactly the way I felt. These kids (most of them anyway, Ron Howard's daughter Bryce is a notable exception, she an act) are nothing but spoiled brats. This is the way Jaden Smith's character came across to me when I saw him in this movie not knowing who he was. Every time the movie went back to his character, the movie effectively stopped, the pace abruptly screeching to a halt. I didn't get it until I looked up who was in the cast in the film then when I found out Jaden Smith was Will Smith's son I got it. Memo to Will Smith, before you insert your spawn into movie make sure they have some talent. Otherwise leave them out of our face.
Ron
Texas,
You are exactly right! Did you ever read my post about the time I was attacked at a local Congressman's town hall for coming out as gay? If not, I'll look for that post and re post it. It was a scary time for me but a decision I had to make immediately in the situation and I made the right decision for which I am forever proud. About this movie, I wanted to settle into being entertained in a mindless movie and here I am subjected to a pampered and overpaid movie star inserting his spawn into a movie that had nothing to do with the plot of the movie. Sometimes children of movie stars work out (Bryce Howard, daughter of Ron Howard is a notable exception, she has talent) but most of the time their attempt to make stars out of their children doesn't work. Talent eventually wins out. And Jaden Smith has zero talent. He came across in this film exactly for what he is, a spoiled rich pampered arrogant child of a rich movie star.
Ron
Joel,
I saw the original "The Day The Earth Stood Still" and enjoyed it. I was prepared to enjoy with remake with the current enhancements of CGI. It worked for a while but quickly slowed down to a stop every time they went back to Jaden Smith's character. His character has NOTHING to do with the movie. It was so obvious his character was inserted into the movie as a favor to his ultra rich influential father Will Smith. It would be one thing if the kid had talent but he doesn't. He came across as the sullen, spoiled, entitled, rich kid that he is. NO TALENT SON WILL SMITH.
I was shocked and disappointed with Will Smith when he slapped Chris Rock and then not once but TWICE, threw the "F" word at Chris Rock when Smith strutted back to his seat. I knew then that Will Smith was a phony and had been fooling the world for many years by hiding the fact he's no better than the average street thug. Don't cry for Will Smith though. Sure, he career in the movies is finished but he has more than enough money to take him and his spoiled and entitled and arrogant family in a comfortable lifestyle the rest of their lives.
Ron
Michelle,
First, thank you very much for your kind words about my blog! I am honored that you've been reading my blog all these years. My goal has always been to share my life and still maintain some privacy and at the same time not to out or offend those that I write about. It is a delicate balance that I haven't always been able to accomplish.
About the move "The Day The Earth Stood Still" and Jaden Smith's character, I didn't know this information that you told me about Jaden "lost trust" in Will Smith's decision to insert (and that's what he did INSERT because his character had NOTHING to do with the movie, only slowed it down and irritated me every time I saw Jaden Smith's sullen face and lifeless delivery of his lines) his son into this movie. The movie, while silly, did move along but every time it came to a delivery of a line by Jaden Smith's character, it abruptly came to a stop. It was so obvious to me that Jaden Smith's character was inserted into this movie but I didn't know why. When I looked up the cast on Google and discovered he was Will Smith's son, it all made sense.
You're the caregiver of both of your parents? Wow. I don't know if I could be a caregiver for two people, Bill is a handful. I have all the respect in the world for caregivers like you. God bless you!
Ron
I like your blog a lot. Feel free to rant. I've been following this blog via a RSS-reader for years and years now, but I don't think I've ever commented. I appreciate very much you sharing your life, it gives me perspective on a lot of things, and I think humankind needs more openness and sharing. Greetings and lots of love from a 38-year-old single guy from Finland. I wish you and Bill all the best, and I honestly look forward to your every blog post.
jooasn,
What a pleasant surprise to receive your comment. I've often wondered if my blog is read by folks in other countries. That was one of treasons I began my blog, to share my life with others. I've always been interested in other's lives too. That's why my favorite reading is of biographies. Especially celebrity biographies but also all kinds of biographies. I checked your blog but it is in Finnish. I'm going to try and see if I can translate it. Thanks again for your comment.
Ron
Post a Comment