Friday, May 13, 2022

Bill's Daily Walk


Every morning, after I get Bill ready for his day, Bill takes his Daily Walk. 

Bill's Daily Walk consists of him making twenty loops around our finished basement room. 

This was done first to improve circulation in his lower legs where he has edema. When he first came home from rehab, his lower legs were so swollen, it was painful to look at them. Both legs oozed clear liquid and had open sores. Since Bill began his walks, the swelling is down considerably (still there) and the clear liquid oozing is completely gone. Occasionally he has an open sore but I dress them and they go away in about four or five days.

I am so proud of Bill. He has made so much progress since he came home from his two week stay at the rehab facility where he was sent after his near death at the ICU at Thomas Jefferson Hospital  in Philadelphia. 

When Bill first came home he didn't want to do anything. He couldn't do much. But little by little he has regained his strength to the point where he can pretty briskly walk every morning. At first he was getting mixed up how many loops he was making. I corrected that problem by giving him twenty quarters. After each loop he drops a quarter into a bowl until he runs out of quarters. 

Next week Bill will be officially discharged from home hospice care. But that doesn't mean Bill has completely recovered. He hasn't. He still needs me to help him dress, shower, eat and take his medications. He still gets confused and is still weak. But he has stabilized. He isn't getting worse. But he's only about 60% of the person he was before his strokes.

A couple months ago we took him off of Eliquis. He is still on his other medications. Taking him off of Eliquis means that he could possible have another stroke through a blood clot (his other strokes were the result of blood clots), but one of the Eliquis side affects was causing him dizziness. His risk of falling was greater this his risk of another blood clot. No really good choices here folks but we felt we took the one of least risk.

I am so thankful that Bill has stabilized. He still gets frustrated by his lack of eyesight but overall we have settled into a comfortable daily pattern of living. 

We are both blessed that our situation isn't much worse. We manage and for that we're thankful.

5 comments:

Woody in Ohio said...

I am happy for Bill and proud of you both. Bill's guarded but slow recovery is truly amazing. Ron, your constant and continuing watchful care is without a doubt what has seen him through to this point. I have had the misfortune to have been a guest in a very highly reguarded nursing/rehabilitation center several times in the past twelve months. If I had received the quality of care you have given Bill I would not be in my precarious health condition. I am in a battle with edema, cellulitis, and blood clots in my legs. The right leg is the worse of the two. Even with my daily doses of Eliquis clots keep forming. It sees I am predisposed genetically to form blood clots. Amputation is a very real posibility even though there is adequate circulation. The initial stroke that occurred nine years ago was due to the bursting of two aneurysms in my brain and greatly affected my motor skills. While I appear to the unknowing as a fairly healthy individual who has signs of Parkinson's Disease I however struggle daily to take care of myself. Soon to be 70 I have adapted but what I wouldn't give to have a Ron around the house a couple hours a day 3-4 times a week! I guess the point I am trying to make is it is not only your mental and physical determination to overcome your health limitations but it takes health caregivers with not only compassion but common sense. Ron, your an inspiration to others and I for one am grateful for that. Take care of yourself. Take time out to talk to others. laugh and joke, and enjoy the rest of your life. I do and it is what sees me through it all. Be safe. Be well. Be happy. Woody in Ohio

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see Bill doing better. From the video, it looks like he is better at walking than I am right now. I like your 'quarter' system, that was a really good idea and solution to the lap-memory problem. I have to come up with ways to supplement my failing memory. That usually is my making copious notes about what I've done and what I still need to do. One has to develop ways to cope with changes that occur with advancing old age. Keep up the good work!

Jim

Ron said...

Woody,
It disheartens me to read of your health issues. Makes me realize how fortunate Bill and I are. I do believe that if Bill was in a nursing home or a similar facility he wouldn't be alive today. Not to pat myself on the back but I do take good care of Bill physically (bathing, medication, and feeding) in addition to keeping him company and his dignity. I take your advice seriously though about taking time for myself. Read my latest log posting. Bill goes to bed early every day, around 6 PM. The next six hours or so are mine to do with as I please and believe me I take advantage, mostly to just have quiet and serenity. When Bill first came home from rehab I was pretty much on call 24/7. Now he mostly goes to sleep and stays there until I get him up around 7:30 AM the next morning. We have a good routine now that's seems to be working well for both of us. How long this will last, I don't know but I value each day.
Thanks for your comments Woody. Always appreciated and I hope you can continue to manage your health needs.
Ron

Ron said...

Jim,
Good to hear from you again. I to have notice my memory isn't what it used to be. I don't know how much of that is my imagination and how much is real but I hope I can continue to manage as long as All is alive. I too make notes about what I have done and need to do. So much of what I used to do automatically when I was younger that I now have to write down, mostly on our giant calendar. I also have reminders put in my iPhone and Alexa. Still I miss sometimes. Managing every day Jim, managing.
Ron

Ur-spo said...

indeed you two are.

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...