Thursday, April 28, 2022

Cedar Lined Walk In Closet

 

Finished cedar lined closet


Last Sunday I finally completed cedar lining my walk-in closet. Now I can die, or move.

This is a job I've been wanting to do since I had our house built here in southern Delaware in 2006. 

Sixteen years! 

I've always liked cedar lined closets. When we had our home built in Pennsylvania in 1980 I insisted on cedar lining our walk-in closets.  

At our Pennsylvania home I had a very large cedar lined closet in the master bedroom. I also had a large walk-in closet in the hallway. Those cedar lined closets were a luxury I afforded myself. I even had that requirement written into my contract with my builder. Of course he tried to cheap out and put cedar chip board up, telling me "it's the same." Well, actually it's not. Cedar chip board is a cheap, inexpensive way to a builder to cut corners again as builders are wont to do. I had a showdown with my builder over that requirement telling him "If it's the same thing then put the individual cedar boards up." Of course I had an advantage over him because this was in 1980 and the builder I was using wasn't building a spec home but one under contract to me. I refused to pay him the next installment on building the house unless he put the cedar board up AS STATED IN MY CONTRACT WITH HIM.

He was so pissed off that he ordered the cedar board and had the job done. He did do a good job and there was extra cedar board.  I meant to do the other closets but never got around to it. I had all that extra cedar board stored for twenty-five years.

When we moved to Delaware in 2006 I brought that cedar board with me, fulling intending to cedar line my two walk-in closets in my master bedroom. Now, sixteen years later I finally got the job done!

Ron's walk-in closet #1

Ron's walk-in closet #2

I love the smell of cedar, reminds me of forests and being in the woods. And this cedar board lined closet smells great! 

Now I can die.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That closet sure looks nice and I can imagine how nice it smells. It’s nice to get a long desired project done but I think you can wait a while yet before you die.

Jim

VRCooper said...

Love a good walk-in closet!! I love cedar as well. Keeps those pesky moths out. I see a couple of safes. Is there where the nudes are safely stored?

Have a great Friday and weekend. Give Bill a kiss for me!!

xoxo

Victor

Anonymous said...

These look magnificent! Quite an accomplishment, and something you’ll enjoy. Good work!

Ginger

Ron said...

Jim,
Believe it or not, I was afraid I would die before I got that closet cedar lined. Two years ago I had my other closet cedar lined. The guy was supposed to come back the next week to finish the second closet but COVID interrupted. Now I'm happy with that closet.
I don't plan on dying anytime soon but one never knows. I could go tomorrow in my sleep.
Ron

Ron said...

Victor,
I love walk in closets too and cedar lined is the only way to go! Those safes? I'll never tell.
Ron

Ron said...

Ginger,
I so throughly enjoy cedar lined closets. Makes me feel like I'm living in the middle of the woods.
Ron

Ur-spo said...

Curious, I have a cedar bent box from B.C. It will hold my ashes some day. I literally will die and be surrounded by cedar.

Random Thought On A Rainy September Sunday

  This morning I woke up to the usual rain and humidity we've been having here at Casa Tipton-Kelly for the last few months of summer. N...