Sunday, April 10, 2022

Spring Has Sprung

 

This year's crop of spring tulips, a little too far away from the house

A few days ago I finally got out my John Deere EZ-Trak Zero Degree Turn Riding Mower and mowed our grass. Oh how good that felt. 

Still a bit chilly for riding the mower but the grass had to be mowed. Our backyard was starting to resemble a prairie. 

About two-thirds of our lawn has recovered from that devastating army worm infestation last July. We still have fairly large patches of dead grass (brown patches) but if you look at the lawn a certain angle from our back deck, you can see the all green grass. Hopefully, by the end of the summer our lush green expanse of Almost an Acre lawn has returned to its former glory as the best lawn in the neighborhood. 

All the hundreds of tulips that I planted last fall are in bloom now. I planted them at the far border. You can see the variety of tulip colors from our sunroom but actually they are a bit too far away. Next year I'll plant tulips at the front of our house. That way we can share the variety of tulip spring colors with our neighbors. Right now I only have yellow daffodils out front and they are about done blooming.

Bill continues to do well, albeit he's not the same person he was before his strokes but he is better than he was this time last year. Bill could probably last a couple more years at this rate. 

I still have to help him dress and undress and shower. He can't prepare his own meals and he still gets confused about time and day but he knows who I am. He is in more pain now because of the arthritis in his fingers but I'm giving him Tylenol every six hours and that seems to control his pain.

I'm looking forward to this week of NO DOCTORS' APPOINTMENTS. I still miss my job at the hotel and my quarterly trips with Pat but this is my new reality. I watch the ongoing news about Ukraine and all that death and destruction by the subhuman Russians led by Evil himself, Vladimir Putin and I am reminded how lucky I am to live in this country. We don't have to worry about our neighbors Canada or Mexico invading our country and trying to wipe us out just because they can. And I am also reminded how lucky I am that Bill isn't in worse shape. He can get around and go to the bathroom by himself and again, he knows who I am. 

Have a great week everyone!


Got to bring those tulips in closer to the house next year. Not the still brown patches in our lawn still recovering from the army worm invasion of last July.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still sad to see all the brown spots in your back lawn, hopefully it will fully recover in time. I did my first lawn mowing the other day, that’s always a big highlight for me when Spring finally arrives. It’s nice to see all the trees here beginning to sprout their new leaves, they were late doing that this year. We had another below-freezing morning today but then it warmed up nicely. I’ll be happy to leave the cold temperatures behind. Yes, we are undoubtedly better off here than the folks in Ukraine but I still worry about the orange-faced devil and all his followers and what bad effects they will have on us over the next several years. I hope this week is a good one for you, Ron.

Jim

VRCooper said...

Hello Sunday Evening!

Glad to see the grass is trying to be its old self again. The tulips look fabulous.

Seems like life is settling into a routine. Yes, no appointments. Is it nice? Just stay at home and mosey about.

I was out this evening picking up dinner-have not sat in a restaurant in about 2 years. While I was standing there I came to realize and question what has become of American society. I have never seen so many people, one after another, come into a restaurant to be seated looking like they just woke up, came from the gym, or from gardening in their backyards. Yes, the restaurant is a causal one but for god's sake take pride in yourself. Also, when will skinny jeans go out of style. They should go the way of cargo shorts.

Earlier in the day, I stepped out of my condo to do a few errands and one of the owners asked me if I was going to the opera. I said no, just Bed/Bath/Beyond. She said I looked nice. I thanked her. I had on chino-type pants, and buttoned shirt with a nice neutral sweater over it, and causal slip-on shoes-loafers. Meaning I pulled myself together. Now, I haven't been to an opera in years but if what I was wearing could be misconstrued for opera attire, society is in a world of hurt.

Have a great week and try to get out in the sunshine.

Be healthy,

Victor

Ur-spo said...

all docs is quacks

Pay someone else to mow the yard, it's worth it.

Ron said...

Jim,
I always look forward to spring and grass mowing time. I am so relieved that our lawn is coming back. Will probably take all summer but it is healing. A nice lawn gives me so much pleasure. I too worry about the Criminal in Mar-a-Lago and his treasonous supporters. The Enemy Within, they're here.
Ron

Ron said...

Vic,
I too have notice the sloppiness of many people when they go out in public. I'm old enough to remember that you "dressed up" to go to the movies and church. Not these days. I even dressed up to go to the gay bars in the Sixties. Our society has definitely degenerated in many aspects. Especially the short shorts that many fat women wear out in public. "Walmart People" isn't a myth. They're real!
Ron

Ron said...

Ur-spo,
I like mowing the grass. I find it relaxing like ironing shirts. But during the humid days of mid summer the thought has crossed my mind to pay Jose to mow our lawn.
Ron

Labor Day Weekend

  Photo of the back of my home here in southern Delaware taken at 1:26 PM today -  I may not have access to the boardwalk or a view of the o...