Wednesday, March 02, 2022

A Conundrum

 

Bill in happier times

Good morning folks! 

Haven't been here for a while as regular readers of this blog have probably noticed. 

So what is going on here at Casa Tipton-Kelly? 

A lot.

The past week I was informed by my sister-in-law that my youngest brother is now on home hospice care after three years battling various health issues. 

They live in South Carolina. I want to go to his funeral. Managing that is the challenge. I need someone to take care of Bill while I'm gone. 

I can put Bill in the Hospice Respite care program for a few days but the only snag is that I don't know when my brother will die. The hospice center only has a certain number of beds available and they need a date which I obviously can't provide.

Pat has agreed to come down from his home in Canada to care for Bill while I'm gone. Problem there is he has two different jobs he has to coordinate with before he leaves. He also needs a date. I am caught in a conundrum. 

This morning I had two medical appointments (more blood work and an ultra sound) scheduled for me. 

I'm juggling a lot of balls here folks. Of course I'm trying to stay healthy to take care of Bill. 

This morning while the cold jelly was on my stomach during my ultra sound my friend Lar calls me on my phone. I apologized to the woman performing the ultra sound on my flabby eighty year old body and explained "I'm sorry I left my phone on but I'm keeping in on in case I hear news about my brother." Normally I turn my phone off when I'm in a medical facility. I've tried texting my friend Lar to tell him when I'm not available for phone calls but for some unexplained reason his phone isn't accepting my text messages now. Lary has ALS and is getting more confused every day so I don't know what is going on there but I don't have time to straighten out his problem, I have enough of my own right now.

As of this morning my brother is still alive so it looks like I'll be able to have Pat down here to take care of Bill.

Now, what to wear to my brother's funeral? I pulled out my one remaining suit that I kept specifically for funerals. Guess what? It DOESN'T FIT!  That's the problem when I let clothes hang in my closet too long, they shrink.

Where I used to have a 32 inch waist, it is now 34 inches. I weigh the same, it's just that my flab has shifted. Loose skin folks, what you young folks have to look forward to when you reach the grand old Crypt Keeper age of eighty that I am now.

I took my suit pants to the cleaners this morning and they said they could let out the waist. I parted with $20 on my credit card for the chance that this will work. Better than paying $500 for a new suit that I would probably never wear again.

Now for my shoes, will my Sketchers work?


4 comments:

VRCooper said...

Oh hell no!! I always tell folks I can find you a pair of shoes that are just as comfortable as tennis shoes/Skechers...Now if I lived closer I could take of Bill...Just give me the routine and I can make it work...He wouldn't know what hit him...Sometimes you just can't do what you want to do...Remember Bill is your priority...Family should understand so don't drive yourself crazy trying to find a solution...You're allowed!!

Ron said...

Vic,
I totally agree, Skechers it is! I also took in a pair of my remaining dark blue suit pants to have the waist let out to 34 inches. If that doesn't work then I wear a pair of my black pants that I wore when I worked the front desk at the hotel. Family will understand.
Ron

Richard said...

Dear Retired in Delaware
My heart aches for you. You can wear sandals with socks if you want. You are an old survivor man. I am so sorry for all this grief.

Ur-spo said...

in the end what you wear and say doesn't matter , but that you came.

Labor Day Weekend

  Photo of the back of my home here in southern Delaware taken at 1:26 PM today -  I may not have access to the boardwalk or a view of the o...